The New Betty White Appreciation Thread

Betty has also inked a new two-book deal:

Just in: Betty White will write two books for G. P. Putnam's Sons.

The first, titled Listen Up!, will offer life lessons Betty has learned during her long career in Hollywood. In her usual wise-cracking style, Betty will give her personal observations on a wide range of topics, including television, aging, life, love, sex and celebrity, including her recent stint on Saturday Night Live. It will be published in Spring 2011.

The second book, titled The Zoo and I: Betty and Her Friends, will be filled with stories and photographs capturing the daily life of her animal friends at the zoo. White is a longtime member of the board of the Los Angeles Zoo, and she has been a passionate supporter of animal health and welfare her entire life. The book is slated for a 2012 release.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/entertainment/post/2010/08/betty-white-to-write-two-books/1

Betty is confirmed as an Emmy presenter. Says Jimmy Fallon:

- Betty White, who won a guest-actress Emmy last weekend for hosting "Saturday Night Live," will be in attendance and will probably be part of the broadcast, Fallon says: "Hopefully she's not drunk. ... It's just a mess. We were out at a John Mayer concert the other night and it was just a mess getting her home. ... She promised me she's going to clean up her act."

She will also be sitting in the front row with Amy Poehler, Will Arnett, and Matthew Morrison.

Betty on winning her first Emmy:

Betty White: 'I almost fainted when I won my first Emmy'

The actress beat out favorite Zsa Zsa Gabor in 1952

By Betty White

Most of what I can resurrect about that evening in 1952 was the total shock I felt when I won and Zsa Zsa Gabor lost.

I was nominated for lead actress in a comedy for my show "Life With Elizabeth," a 30-minute comedy about a husband and wife. But back then, in all my wisdom, I decided to make each episode a series of three 10-minute ministories because I was certain a solid half-hour comedy show would never work.

On the day of the awards, I spent the morning working on my daytime talk program "The Betty White Show." The Emmys weren't a big thing back then -- more like a little local awards show. So I worked in the morning and went home and got dressed as if I were just going to a dinner.

I had recently split from my second husband, Lane Allen, so I went with Al Jarvis, who worked with me on the talk show. The ceremony was at the Coconut Grove at the Ambassador Hotel. There were no photographers and no red carpet. You just got out of your car and walked into the dinner. It wasn't even an event where people mingled and partied. You came for the awards and left.

Everyone was so sure that Zsa Zsa was going to win for "Bachelor's Haven," I didn't even think twice about winning. I was thrilled beyond words to be nominated and recognized, especially considering I'd been working six days a week -- with no script!

When it came time to announce our category, Zsa Zsa took out her compact and lipstick to freshen up. Just as the presenter was about to announce the winner, she pushed out her chair to get up. And then the presenter announced my name!

Well, I almost fainted right there. And, believe me, Zsa Zsa was just as shocked. That's how sure everyone was that she would win. It was a bit startling, but Zsa Zsa was wonderful about it and offered me congratulations.

There were no speeches then, so I just accepted my award and left. But I was really thrilled to take home that pretty statue. I have my first "golden girl" sitting on top of my dining room hutch alongside all her sisters. I've had to repair her a few times. She keeps dropping the globe she's holding, so she's been soldered back together. She's almost as old as I am.

I've won six Emmys and you never get used to it. I got nominated again this year for outstanding guest star for "Saturday Night Live" and I'm thrilled! My friend Tina Fey is nominated in my category too and she sent me this big bouquet of roses and tulips and a card.

"Dear Betty," it said, "Congratulations on your nomination. Please try to mention my name in your acceptance speech."

Betty White won the Emmy for outstanding guest actress in a comedy series on Aug. 21.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/awards/news/e3i53445ccba5e5906eb47f44cde6bad6e2

Betty has been awarded the Charlie Chaplin Britannia Award for Excellence in Comedy by the BAFTA people! :D

Betty White has another accolade to add to her banner year.

After taking home an Emmy last month, Betty will now be honored by the British Academy of Film and Television Arts/Los Angeles (BAFTA/LA) on Thursday, November 4 in Los Angeles.

Betty will receive the Charlie Chaplin Britannia Award for Excellence in Comedy. Oscar winner Jeff Bridges will be recognized with the Stanley Kubrick Britannia Award for Excellence in Film.

"It doesn't get much better than honoring two true Hollywood veterans in their own right," Nigel Lythgoe, Chairman of BAFTA/LA, says of why they chose to honor Betty and Jeff. "Betty White is a comedy icon whose quick wit and everlasting energy is second to none; and Jeff Bridges' remarkable ability to immerse himself into each role he plays epitomizes his multi-faceted career. I am very pleased that BAFTA/LA has selected Ms. White and Mr. Bridges to receive this outstanding honor."

Also being honored at the ceremony are director Christopher Nolan and actor Michael Sheen.

http://www.etonline.com/news/2010/09/90898/

Verrrry interesting! I wonder what got Doris Roberts' bloomers in a twist:

http://www.usmagazine.com/moviestvmusic/news/doris-roberts-i-dont-hate-betty-white-2010149

If she has never met Betty, it must have been VERY awkward when they were both on set for "Phyllis Whips Inflation". :lol: Maybe she does hate Betty after all. <_<

Maybe Doris was FRIENDS with Bea Arthur? I just watched the clip of the Golden Girls getting that TV Land tribute and it was nice to see Betty saying the best part was being together again and grabbing Bea's hand, too bad Bea felt that way about Betty, it never showed on the how though, thank God!

• Like 1