The New Betty White Appreciation Thread

What might've been- apparently Betty and Carol Channing were slated to do a sitcom in the early 80s! I can't find anything online at all about Friends Like Us, but I'd assume with this Merv Griffin stunt, they at least shot a pilot? Or maybe this little skit was going to be in a pilot that was never produced. Merv Griffin Enterprises never did a sitcom, but maybe he was looking into it and did this to drum up interest. Just a theory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yan-BrxBZ54&t=658s

8 hours ago, Freddie2 said:

What might've been- apparently Betty and Carol Channing were slated to do a sitcom in the early 80s! I can't find anything online at all about Friends Like Us, but I'd assume with this Merv Griffin stunt, they at least shot a pilot? Or maybe this little skit was going to be in a pilot that was never produced. Merv Griffin Enterprises never did a sitcom, but maybe he was looking into it and did this to drum up interest. Just a theory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yan-BrxBZ54&t=658s

What a dream team that would've been! 

• 1 month later...

After some thought, I wonder to what extent Betty will be in the movie. They say "starring", but I have a sneaking suspicion that a majority of her performance will take place a la Gene Hackman in The Conversation- a lot of sitting down, at-home phone sequences or something. George Burns was also 98 when he did a brief cameo in Radioland Murders, and he got near-top billing. No matter what she does, I'm happy that Betty is healthy enough to keep working. Since the movie focuses on Santa, how about grabbing Ed Asner to play the role yet again?

Thanks for the video! Can't wait to watch it (I may have been there, I can't recall offhand). Betty looks pretty damn amazing considering she's well into her 80's here and has - except for lipstick, obviously, little or no make-up -- and aware I'm sure that she'd be on camera as these Fests were always recorded!! :HALKING:

On 5/13/2020 at 4:25 PM, Freddie2 said:

How many times have you seen Betty in person:lucyhorror:

A few:  One of the Paley Events (forget which one/year); the TVLand Awards Show; a book signing at Barnes & Noble, and the coolest as far as the event itself, a recreation for charity of a "Golden Girls" script on the soundstage where they (then) were shooting Betty's "Hot in Cleveland", which featured that show's cast for an hilarious table read. For the same show/charity, there were also appearances by "Hot's" producer/"Will & Grace"'s Sean Hayes, the Supremes' Mary Wilson, and many others I can't recall now.  It was an amazing evening capped by an informal party down on the stage afterward where most everyone danced, gabbed and enjoyed a catered buffet.  (Betty, presumably due to her advanced age, beat a hasty retreat). :HALKING:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JoeySoCal said:

A few:  One of the Paley Events (forget which one/year); the TVLand Awards Show; a book signing at Barnes & Noble, and the coolest as far as the event itself, a recreation for charity of a "Golden Girls" script on the soundstage where they (then) were shooting Betty's "Hot in Cleveland", which featured that show's cast for an hilarious table read. For the same show/charity, there were also appearances by "Hot's" producer/"Will & Grace"'s Sean Hayes, the Supremes' Mary Wilson, and many others I can't recall now.  It was an amazing evening capped by an informal party down on the stage afterward where most everyone danced, gabbed and enjoyed a catered buffet.  (Betty, presumably due to her advanced age, beat a hasty retreat). :HALKING:

Lucky! I have no idea how it would happen, but I still would love to stumble across her in public some day. Heck, it's happened with a few of my favorite celebs, so I haven't given up hope. Unfortunately, I'm pretty far away from the West Coast, so the opportunity hasn't risen yet. If I make it to Hollywood soon, I'll have to do some Lucy-style celebrity hunting.

• 8 months later...