The New Betty White Appreciation Thread

Anyone else absolutely loving the reunion of Betty White and Georgia Engel on HOT IN CLEVELAND? They are FABULOUS together and no it's not just nostalgia, it's really raising the bar on this little sitcom, Georgia is still playing her wide-eyed innocent even as a (youngish) senior citizen and it's just as funny as ever, particularly with Betty being her more "experienced" pal. Wasn't a much of a fan of this show at first but wow, Betty and Georgia, how could you NOT watch this show now!

I LOVE the addition of Georgia to the Hot In Cleveland mix. She and Betty have such wonderful chemestry, not to mention Georgia herself is HILARIOUS as Mamie Sue the innocent (like you said) senior who definitely has an edge underneath the sweetness.

Elka: Now say, "Love dies..."

Sir Emmet: "...but its echoes never do." From the film Hymn at Evensong. A favourite.

Mamie Sue: Now say, "I don't care who's watching, I want to take you right now."

Sir Emmet: What film is that from? I don't recall it.

Mamie Sue: ... JUST SAY IT!

I LOVE the addition of Georgia to the Hot In Cleveland mix. She and Betty have such wonderful chemestry, not to mention Georgia herself is HILARIOUS as Mamie Sue the innocent (like you said) senior who definitely has an edge underneath the sweetness.

Sir Emmet: "...but its echoes never do." From the film Hymn at Evensong. A favourite.

Mamie Sue: Now say, "I don't care who's watching, I want to take you right now."

My God, the show got good, when is it on again? I loves me some Georgia in anything. Hope she gets recognition for this as she got nothing for her great work on Raymond.

LOL, Georgia just slayed me when she told Betty "Can I help it if I'm not as gangsta as you?"

My God, the show got good, when is it on again? I loves me some Georgia in anything. Hope she gets recognition for this as she got nothing for her great work on Raymond.

Oh I was always pulling for Georgia to win the Best Supporting Actress Emmy for MTMS much as I loved Betty on it, she got a few nominations but she really deserved an Emmy for Georgette. And of course her classic comment to Phyllis on RHODA's wedding episode might have been the greatest laugh in the show's history.

Oh I was always pulling for Georgia to win the Best Supporting Actress Emmy for MTMS much as I loved Betty on it, she got a few nominations but she really deserved an Emmy for Georgette. And of course her classic comment to Phyllis on RHODA's wedding episode might have been the greatest laugh in the show's history.

What was the comment?

What was the comment?

I was hoping some Rhoda fanatic (do they exist?) would chime in and give us the exact quote verbatim since I haven't seen the episode since it's premiere almost 40 years ago but as you probably know on Rhoda's wedding episode, Phyllis was supposed to pick up Rhoda and drive her to the church on her wedding day. Of course, Phyllis completely forgets this, just shows up at the church and everyone wonders where Rhoda is - meanwhile Rhoda is waiting forever for Phyllis to come and finally decides to leave in her wedding dress to travel on the subways and busses to get there. Phyllis finally realizes at the church she was supposed to pick Rhoda up and everyone is furious with her and ignores her apologies. Phyllis pleads "Doesn't anyone forgive me?" and Georgette quietly chirps "I forgive you Phyllis". A touched Phyllis responds "Thank you, Georgette' but Georgette quickly adds "but if I were you I'd get my tail out of here before Rhoda shows up!"

Of course it's Georgia Engel's delivery that makes the line work and the audience seemed to roar like I never heard it in any other Rhoda episode.

Saw Georgia in The Drowsy Chaparone on bway a few years ago. So much fun. There is a cut song from the show on the cast album that she does that Charlie and I sing to each other occasionally. Joanne Worley took over the part after Georgia left and I could see her in the role, Georgia fit the role perfect.

I was hoping some Rhoda fanatic (do they exist?) would chime in and give us the exact quote verbatim since I haven't seen the episode since it's premiere almost 40 years ago but as you probably know on Rhoda's wedding episode, Phyllis was supposed to pick up Rhoda and drive her to the church on her wedding day. Of course, Phyllis completely forgets this, just shows up at the church and everyone wonders where Rhoda is - meanwhile Rhoda is waiting forever for Phyllis to come and finally decides to leave in her wedding dress to travel on the subways and busses to get there. Phyllis finally realizes at the church she was supposed to pick Rhoda up and everyone is furious with her and ignores her apologies. Phyllis pleads "Doesn't anyone forgive me?" and Georgette quietly chirps "I forgive you Phyllis". A touched Phyllis responds "Thank you, Georgette' but Georgette quickly adds "but if I were you I'd get my tail out of here before Rhoda shows up!"

Of course it's Georgia Engel's delivery that makes the line work and the audience seemed to roar like I never heard it in any other Rhoda episode.

Oh yeah, i remember that, she was a gem.

Saw Georgia in The Drowsy Chaparone on bway a few years ago. So much fun. There is a cut song from the show on the cast album that she does that Charlie and I sing to each other occasionally. Joanne Worley took over the part after Georgia left and I could see her in the role, Georgia fit the role perfect.

Lucky you, wish we'd see her in more stuff, wonder how old she is?

Rhoda's wedding was not in a church. Ida arranged for it to be in her apartment in the Bronx.

And having Georgette make that comment to Phyllis, was G's way of getting back at P. The evening before at a dinner for the out-of-town guests, Georgette was telling a story, and Phyllis interupted her, and told her, her story was not interesting.

Rhoda's wedding was not in a church. Ida arranged for it to be in her apartment in the Bronx.

And having Georgette make that comment to Phyllis, was G's way of getting back at P. The evening before at a dinner for the out-of-town guests, Georgette was telling a story, and Phyllis interupted her, and told her, her story was not interesting.

To me, having not seen the other parts mentionned, i thought she was incredible on those Raymond episodes. When her daughter gets married to Raymond's asshole cop brother, the daughter does an imitation of the way Georgia talks and it was so spot on, Rich Little would have been very proud. Then, one time she got caught smoking and took the ciggie into her mouth a la Lucy, hilarious. This woman is totally underrated.

Georgia is a fantastic addition to Hot in Cleveland. She is hilarious on the show and I hope they use her even more often. Last season, Georgia had recurring roles on Hot in Cleveland, The Office, and Two and a Half Men. I was surprised she didn't get an Emmy nomination for one of them.

Rhoda's Wedding is my favorite non-Lucy TV series episode ever. It contains all time favorite Cloris Leachman performance.

That episode was classic on so many levels, The gang from TMTMS being there... Ida taking over the wedding plans... Phyllis forgetting to pick up Rhoda... Rhoda on the NY subway in her wedding dress....The only thing missing was somehow working SueAnn Nivins into the storyline. But that would have been hard to do since Rhoda and SueAnn didn't know each other that well, and besides it would be too much to take with BOTH Phyllis AND Sueann!

That episode was classic on so many levels, The gang from TMTMS being there... Ida taking over the wedding plans... Phyllis forgetting to pick up Rhoda... Rhoda on the NY subway in her wedding dress....The only thing missing was somehow working SueAnn Nivins into the storyline. But that would have been hard to do since Rhoda and SueAnn didn't know each other that well, and besides it would be too much to take with BOTH Phyllis AND Sueann!

Phyllis would have ripped Sue Ann's face off.

Here is Rhoda's Wedding in its entirety:

Rhoda: When did you get in?

Georgette: Just now.

Rhoda: Did you fly in?

Georgette: No, I drove! It was such an interesting trip. :D

Phyllis: <_<

Georgette: I'll tell you about it later! :D

Georgette: You must be so relieved, Mrs. Morgenstern!

Ida: Oh, why's that?

Georgette: Rhoda told me if she wasn't married by the times she's 35, you would take all your clothes off in Macy's window!

Ida: Lower your voice, Honey! :lol:

Georgette: You must be so relieved, Mrs. Morgenstern!

Ida: Oh, why's that?

Georgette: Rhoda told me if she wasn't married by the times she's 35, you would take all your clothes off in Macy's window!

Ida: Lower your voice, Honey! :lol:

My fave Morgenstern line was when someone danced on Ida's coffee table and Ida didn't worry about scuffing as she had over 30 years of Pledge on there to protect the finish.