Totie Fields

I can't wait for the season 5 Here's Lucy set to see Totie's guest appearance. She was hilarious at the Dean Martin roast of Lucy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FKBeNJsHHQ

Yes, Totie was ALWAYS hilarious. And Lucy loved her, even attending one of her LAST concerts when she got real sick at the end. Totie suffered from diabetes and had her legs amputated and died shortly thereafter. I forget what Las Vegas superstar called her a real bitch, either Paul Anka or Wayne Newton.

Yes, Totie was ALWAYS hilarious. And Lucy loved her, even attending one of her LAST concerts when she got real sick at the end. Totie suffered from diabetes and had her legs amputated and died shortly thereafter. I forget what Las Vegas superstar called her a real bitch, either Paul Anka or Wayne Newton.

I remember reading about her diabetes. So sad. I wish she and Lucy had worked together more.

I remember reading about her diabetes. So sad. I wish she and Lucy had worked together more.

Yes, but not all of them worked out as terrific as Totie's show did, i remember how some hated her teaming with Dick Shawn who was also a riot and so innovative, but the show they wrote for them wasn't so great. It would have been great to see her with George Carlin or Richard Pryor or Gene Wilder, any of those people. But look at Jimmy Durante, a giant AND a friend of hers and yet all he got was a walk on on one of her shows.

That's one of my favorite HL episodes because I loved Totie and would try to catch every talk show appearance of hers I could find. Was lucky to see her perform live just once and that was after recovering from her first leg amputation, and if I recall she actually walked out on stage, with the support of her husband on her arm and the use of a cane. She was hysterical, sang and gave such an outstanding performance you would have never known how ill she was. :D

Gone too soon, a huge loss to the world of a wonderful talent. :lucyblah:

That's one of my favorite HL episodes because I loved Totie and would try to catch every talk show appearance of hers I could find. Was lucky to see her perform live just once and that was after recovering from her first leg amputation, and if I recall she actually walked out on stage, with the support of her husband on her arm and the use of a cane. She was hysterical, sang and gave such an outstanding performance you would have never known how ill she was. :D

Gone too soon, a huge loss to the world of a wonderful talent. :lucyblah:

Not only that but also JOKING about her whole life and death hospital experience and getting laughs from that.

Archived