The Mary Jane Croft Appreciation Thread

Howard Duff, d. 5/8/90; actor, 135 titles; producer and star, CBSMr. Adams and Eve, 66 episodes, 1957-58; ABC's Felony Squad, 73 episodes, 1966-69; and NBC' Flamingo Road, 38 episodes, 1980-82 fame; Lucille Ball, Desi Arnaz guest co-star, with wife, Ida Lupino, The Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse Presents: The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour “Lucy's Summer Vacation”, 1959; Desilu Productions', You Don't Say, 1964; as well as guest, archivally, (“I Love Lucy”) 50th Anniversary Special, 2001,is born this date, 11/24, in 1913.

Great picture! I didn't know Mary Jane ever appeared on Mr. Adams and Eve. There was a book released on the show not too long ago. That has to be the most obscure TV show to ever get a whole book written about it.

And she's hardly recognizable in her mystery woman get up.

Howard Duff, d. 5/8/90; actor, 135 titles; producer and star, CBSMr. Adams and Eve, 66 episodes, 1957-58; ABC's Felony Squad, 73 episodes, 1966-69; and NBC' Flamingo Road, 38 episodes, 1980-82 fame; Lucille Ball, Desi Arnaz guest co-star, with wife, Ida Lupino, The Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse Presents: The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour “Lucy's Summer Vacation”, 1959; Desilu Productions', You Don't Say, 1964; as well as guest, archivally, (“I Love Lucy”) 50th Anniversary Special, 2001,is born this date, 11/24, in 1913.

Forgot to say, Howard Duff was ANOTHER one of my absolute favorites; watched anything I could find him in....

• 2 months later...

Omg u guys r crackin me up.. Mary Jane is a hell of an actress, I realized only about 4 years ago she was Sylvia H in that moo moo epizode. She has such a pretty smile and she really has a good range. Why oh why didnt she.get to do more on Here's Lucy? She absolutely KILLS me when she says WHO in the Lawerence Welk ep. Yes Miss Lewis/Croft is a.treasure!

Perhaps you are thinking of one of the Loving Lucy festivals? The We Love Lucy website used to have a clip up of a panel discussion (hosted by Stu Shostak) where Mary Jane did her "Mary Jane" voice.

The only TV interview I know of with Mary Jane is from Good Morning America's weeklong salute to Lucy in 1982 where Mary Jane was one of the commenters.

Does anybody have any footage of "The Loving Lucy" festivals? Mary Jane was honored at one of them, and I'd love to see it!

Does anybody have any footage of "The Loving Lucy" festivals? Mary Jane was honored at one of them, and I'd love to see it!

Some footage could previously be found on Tom's site (http://www.lucyfan.com/convhighlites.html) but the last time I tried, the links wouldn't work; still, it's a great reference site, replete with fans as well as "stories from the stars", rare photos, etc. Check it out!

Your best bet however may be Stuart Shostak, as he was the videographer for all the events and while I can't promise/don't know offhand, perhaps his site (http://www.stusshow.com/) offers some of these old interviews, etc. If not..... he should! ;)

Good luck!

Do you know what year it was. I have 97 and 99 but don't remember a tribute those years. Ralph in 97' read a wonderful letter about TV mom Viv though.

Honestly, I don't recall, it's been too long and they sort of all "run together"! If you poke around on that site, you may find what you're looking for, I don't know... I do remember another "super fan" used to have part of his website devoted to the conventions but I don't know if it's still up and running/accessible or not but you could try glencharlow.com ....

Plus, there are a couple of "attendees" on this board whom could probably answer your questions right off the top of their heads: "tjw" = Tom Watson, who led the charge, ably assisted by "rickee" aka Rick Carl.

Patrick Ziegler (what a doll!) also was not only a superfan but super close to Miss Croft later in life, I'm sure he could share with you but I don't know whether he frequents this board or not and while I've met him I don't have any contact info, so I wouldn't be much help there.

Good luck! :D

• 9 months later...

There are two photos up on eBay right now claiming to be Mary Jane Croft. They look vaguely like her but the facial features look too rounded, and the eyes too far apart, to be Mary Jane, IMO. Thoughts?

I don't think they look a bit like her but then who has ever seen Mary Jane younger than 35 or so?  The first picture actually looks a teeny bit like a young Lucy.

• 9 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...