Mary Wickes Appreciation Thread

I wonder if Mary Wickes or Mary Jane Croft might have eventually appeared on Life With Lucy, if it lasted beyond 13 episodes.

Also where was Doris Singleton?, Carole Cooke?, Vanda Barra?

Yes, it would have been nice to see any of them on Life With Lucy, if only it lasted longer.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I wanted something fluffy to watch this morning, so I while flipping through Amazon Prime, I picked a random first season episode of The Doris Day Show. Based on the description provided, I figured it would be guest star-driven and hopefully feature a funny character actress. I was right! Mary played Denver Pyle's ex-WWII marine girlfriend who infiltrates the ranch. I gotta say, for a show that tries its hardest to be laid back and unoffensive as possible, Mary just shines through and gives an incredibly funny, human performance. She was so good in such a mediocre role, it kind of took me aback. For those interested, it's season one episode seventeen, "The Buddy".

To drag this out even further, I'd like to give a shoutout to Amazon Prime for their pretty excellent classic TV selection. Not only do they have episodes of ILL, TLS, and HL, but they carry quite a few of her specials that MPI has released, and those old Goodtimes "Lost" compilations (you know what I'm referring to- I've still got my VHS tapes)- and that Lucy-Desi-Berle special that didn't get released until very recently. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

It's an unexpected Mary Wickes Day. I randomly put on Dennis The Menace and it's an episode centered around Miss Cathcart.

Later I find Punky Bruster on a streaming app. Loved this show as a kid. Pick a random episode and there's Mary as a Chicago Cubs loving nun.

So now I've seen Mary play a nun 3 times. Here, Sister Act and Here's Lucy. Are there more?