The Essential I Love Lucy Collection

mickie

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, Joey! The colour is great at the vineyard and back at the hotel but not so great in the train scene. Everyone seems to have city pallor.

I agree, so I've got mixed feelings about it but to be fair, this is off my computer and how it came out that way -- haven't played it on a "regular" DVD player yet hooked up to a regular TV but then I wouldn't be able to do clips or screen caps that way, that I know of -- unless there's some true "techies" on this board who could tell me how! :D

It's interesting, to be sure, but the fact that we're all aware that it's colorized sort of dampens it.

That's the problem with it: no matter how much the technology has improved, it still has an artificial look to it. It's nobody's fault, it's just the way it is. While it is a nice curiosity, it's also obvious for what it is, and I just can't get too excited about it and certainly can't see the point of doing this for every episode.

Also, they probably shouldn't have colorized the photographs hanging on the train cabin wall. Those should've been left B&W.

It's interesting, to be sure, but the fact that we're all aware that it's colorized sort of dampens it.

That's the problem with it: no matter how much the technology has improved, it still has an artificial look to it. It's nobody's fault, it's just the way it is. While it is a nice curiosity, it's also obvious for what it is, and I just can't get too excited about it and certainly can't see the point of doing this for every episode.

Also, they probably shouldn't have colorized the photographs hanging on the train cabin wall. Those should've been left B&W.

OMG, people, REAL LIFE is in color, black and white is the artificial part here, the only reason early TV shows are in black and white is because they had no idea how to do it in color at the beginning, now they do and that's what makes everything look more natural and real. :peachonthebeach::lucythrill::professor::lucysmirk::lucy1::desi1::lucydesi::gale1::gale2:

Agreed! The colour just looks unusual. It will be great though for people unfamiliar with Lucy. That being said, if CBS wants to colourise it I'm all for anything that ensures ILL gets more airtime.

OMG, people, REAL LIFE is in color, black and white is the artificial part here, the only reason early TV shows are in black and white is because they had no idea how to do it in color at the beginning, now they do and that's what makes everything look more natural and real. :peachonthebeach::lucythrill::professor::lucysmirk::lucy1::desi1::lucydesi::gale1::gale2:

But all too often colour calls attention to itself instead of what lies beneath. It detracts us from the truth and basics that are at the heart of everything. It's an unnecessary, if pretty flourish, for many things. Humour and colour are incompatible. We don't need to see the colour of Lucy's hair to see the fiery spark that burns in her. It's enough that we know, not that we see.

But all too often colour calls attention to itself instead of what lies beneath. It detracts us from the truth and basics that are at the heart of everything. It's an unnecessary, if pretty flourish, for many things. Humour and colour are incompatible. We don't need to see the colour of Lucy's hair to see the fiery spark that burns in her. It's enough that we know, not that we see.

Now you see, that's where we disagree, seeing Lucy without her glorious mane of RED hair is not seeing the complete Lucy, i was thrilled when i first sighted that red mane at the theater for Critic's Choice and never got over the beauty of it. Before we just HEARD them describe the hair but as of 1963 and The Lucy Show in color, we finally saw what they were always talking about.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got this set in the mail today. Even though I have the complete series, I tend to like smaller "sampler" sets, and the new bonus feature was a nice touch.

I'll probably post some screencaps of the new menus soon for those interested. Personally, I wish the CBS sets had used menus like this instead of those cluttered ones used for the Columbia House releases.

Also, does anyone who has the "Target" 2-disc set know if they were taken from the same pressing? The episode listings for the first 2 discs of the time-life set are identical to the Target ones, so I wonder if everything's the same.

How do the special features differ, if at all? (Aside from the colourised episode, of course)

The bonus features included on the third disc (colourised one is on a separate disc) are just a sampling of some of the features included on the season sets. A number of the "flubs" are featured (but strangely most concern episodes not featured on this set), along with 3 of the Larry Dobkin narrated book excerpts. Also included is the Jingle Bell tag scene, one of the season 2 "flashback" openings and the audience colour footage of "The Audition".

While nothing new, it's a nice sampler for fans who don't own the season sets.

• 1 month later...

That's all i'm sayin!

Ditto, but I think you brought up good points!

This was a great colorizing job, I can only imagine the tireless work it took to pull this off,

BUT- I KNOW there was more time and detailed attention put towards The Scotland episode.

The scotland episode was GENIUS work. There was about 12% "unusuality" in the color lol

& almost every nook and cranny was colored to perfection!

In this rendition, it looks like they didn't have time to really dabble in

making details true to real color as they had in the Scotland episode-

HOWEVAH! :)

The Scotland episode proves that, with constant work and practice, we can get to making about 10

great colorful shows from ILL with exact, pristine, distinct colors and shades and it can really look nice

And I know i kno i kno lol seeing my point of view, some one might be like- "why try so hard to colorize it when it's so tough to do??"

Well, for one reason- if the hard work and money was put into colorizing in TOP quality no one would ever regret it

once it's finished.

And another reason, the most important, the few times I've seen any color footage or pics of ILL in color, something inside jumps.

Its that magic of ILL but only intensified- in color, the situation becomes even more realistic.

The color brings the characters and story to more life, and THATS the way the new generation of ILL watchers will or should

experience the show.

Any one thinking that the shows classic quality of black and white color will be appreciated 10-15 years from now in our

world of HD and Blu-Ray color is mistaken. The show might still be loved, but the color will only be tolerated, just as it's color has been tolerated since the 80's-90's.

I think the show will never go off the air, but top quality colorization will maintain it's reign!

This is the entire reason why Ive been drawing Lucy Ricardo in color, Im going to send them (all 7 when completed) to CBS, to have them consider it :)

VBagley, have you any color screen captures from the colorized "Lucy's Italian Movie" and/or Babalu Music!?

The Babalu music ones are the primitive ones where only the main characters were colorized amid black and white decor, like was presented in the first CBS video collection on VHS. Exact same ones.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived