The Lucy Show S4-S6 vs Here's Lucy S1-S3: Which Do You Prefer?

Which do you prefer: The last three seasons of The Lucy Show or the first three seasons of Here's Lucy? And Why?

Both had their merits, same for me, neither was better than the other. Lucy on her own shining on The Lucy Show or mothering her own two kids on HL, both just as funny as she always remained the focus of the show for me.

I did like the "single" aspect that Lucy Carmichael had once she was on her own in California without kids, but I thought they dropped the family aspect a little too abruptly for it to be entirely believable.

I like that Here's Lucy added back the children to Lucy's life, and making Gale Gordon her brother-in-law made the boss-secretary relationship more believable because he had his niece and nephew to think about, no matter how much Lucy Carter goofed.

I like them both, they're both similar yet different enough to both have their merits.

I did like the "single" aspect that Lucy Carmichael had once she was on her own in California without kids, but I thought they dropped the family aspect a little too abruptly for it to be entirely believable.

I like that Here's Lucy added back the children to Lucy's life, and making Gale Gordon her brother-in-law made the boss-secretary relationship more believable because he had his niece and nephew to think about, no matter how much Lucy Carter goofed.

I like them both, they're both similar yet different enough to both have their merits.

True, but the abruptness of the "without family" change happens to people all the time in real life, what with divorce and so on.

I can give you a partial answer since I have not seen Seasons 5 & 6 yet. So far I prefer 1,2& 3 because watching Lucy & Viv together is more entertaining (to me) than watching Lucy with other costars. Of course there are exceptions, but I think the Lucy & Viv episodes were the best.

I enjoyed most of the episodes in Season 4 but missed Viv --and the kids, too. I've been wondering why they didn't have the kids make a guest appearance once in a while. Agree with VBagley that the abrupt disappearance of the kids, who were hardly mentioned ever again, was not very believable.

I think I also enjoyed the family aspect of Lucy & Viv raising kids together, rather than Lucy living all by herself.

I can give you a partial answer since I have not seen Seasons 5 & 6 yet. So far I prefer 1,2& 3 because watching Lucy & Viv together is more entertaining (to me) than watching Lucy with other costars. Of course there are exceptions, but I think the Lucy & Viv episodes were the best.

I enjoyed most of the episodes in Season 4 but missed Viv --and the kids, too. I've been wondering why they didn't have the kids make a guest appearance once in a while. Agree with VBagley that the abrupt disappearance of the kids, who were hardly mentioned ever again, was not very believable.

I think I also enjoyed the family aspect of Lucy & Viv raising kids together, rather than Lucy living all by herself.

The exact opposite for moi. I think there were so many family shows on tv that all those types of plots had been done to death also, so Lucy on her own was better and at least a bit different and gave her more chances to do outrageous things. Believability was NEVER a strong suit!

Which do I like better.. seasons 4-6 of The Lucy Show or seasons 1-3 of Here's Lucy?? Without a doubt.. seasons 4-6 of The Lucy Show... Why??? Because to me they are funnier and much more interesting than Here's Lucy's first 3 seasons.. yeah.. Here's Lucy has moments.. in the first 3 seasons.. but that is the problem.. ONLY moments.. whereas, seasons 4-6 of The Lucy Show, although a drastic change in formant, is in my opinion LOADS of FUN by comparison. AND GALE is great no matter what... one of my favorite GALE moments from the last 3 seasons of The Lucy Show... with Tennesse Ernie Ford... "Everything my wife cooks tastes like this!"... your wife have country rearin'?... "Acres of it!".... love Gale!

The exact opposite for moi. I think there were so many family shows on tv that all those types of plots had been done to death also, so Lucy on her own was better and at least a bit different and gave her more chances to do outrageous things. Believability was NEVER a strong suit!

I love Viv and Lucy together but I agree with you. There were too many family shows in the 1950s till miae 1960s and season 4 to season 6 of the Lucy Show were great fun. Almost every show had great energy, great slapstick comedy, and musical moments. It was Lucy and the family setting seemed to restrict somewhat Lucy's comedic talents especially after season 1. I first love Lucy from The Lucy Show on Nick at Nite from 1992 to 1996 when I was a kid and then I started to see all the I Love Lucys, etc. Here's Lucy season 1 to 3 have its moments but here are some of the flaws with it: Lucy's dubbed voice, dated jokes I cannot get being so young at 24, weak scripts, underdeveloped esp. in season 1 of the children (It took them time to become great actors. While Desi is a great musician I find Lucie the true rounded out performer and enjoy watching her mature with the show and then hearing There Playing My Song and seeing the Jazz Singer). Yet by Here's Lucy season 3 we started getting lots of classic shows again.

Which do I like better.. seasons 4-6 of The Lucy Show or seasons 1-3 of Here's Lucy?? Without a doubt.. seasons 4-6 of The Lucy Show... Why??? Because to me they are funnier and much more interesting than Here's Lucy's first 3 seasons.. yeah.. Here's Lucy has moments.. in the first 3 seasons.. but that is the problem.. ONLY moments.. whereas, seasons 4-6 of The Lucy Show, although a drastic change in formant, is in my opinion LOADS of FUN by comparison. AND GALE is great no matter what... one of my favorite GALE moments from the last 3 seasons of The Lucy Show... with Tennesse Ernie Ford... "Everything my wife cooks tastes like this!"... your wife have country rearin'?... "Acres of it!".... love Gale!

Gale to me was better on The Lucy Show than on Here's Lucy. He seemed to have more of a part and great lines. I love how he had his own boss and his reactions when forced to cowtow to Mr. Cheever. I find that Lucy did more work on the Lucy Show, you see her actually doing something even if she screws it up. I find that on Here's Lucy Gale's charcter was more annoying until the later seasons.

Archived