You forgot the candelabra: The Liberace Thread

Why a Liberace thread, you might ask? Well, I would wonder myself. Well... wait, why the hell am I starting a thread about Liberace? Oh, yes! It's because that long-talked about Liberace biopic starring Michael Douglas as Liberace and Matt Damon as one of (his last?) his beaux is finally getting off the ground with director Stephen Soderburgh at the helm. What started out as a theatrical project, however, has now been reconfigured -- and now comfirmed! -- as an HBO film entitled Behind the Candelabra.

Matt Damon and Michael Douglas can finally heat up those BeDazzlers: "Behind the Candelabra," their Liberace biopic, has found a home on HBO.

The film, which to this point has been traveling under the working title "Liberace," is a look at the famed pianist's relationship with his younger live-in lover at a time when coming out could kill a career. It is scheduled to start shooting next summer under the direction of Steven Soderbergh.

"I wanted people to see the other side of Liberace," Jerry Weintraub told Show Tracker. "I knew Liberace when I was kid. He entertained me a lot, we had a lot of good times together. He was a fun guy and a brilliant artist.

"He was Elton John and Lady Gaga before they even dreamed of it"

Old Hollywood figure Weintraub will produce for HBO, which in March aired "His Way," a documentary about Weintraub.

Douglas will don the jeweled capes of Liberace while Damon plays his partner, Scott Thorson.

"I’ve wanted to make a film about Liberace for a very long time, and after the amazing experience I had with HBO on 'His Way,' I knew that they were absolutely the right place for this movie," Weintraub said.

The project has been gestating since 2009, and its male leads are more than happy to get lip-locking in the portrayal of the flamboyant performer, known for his over-the-top costumes and accessories and, later in life, several business ventures including cookbooks and antique shops.

"Candelabra" will get into the darker, off-stage side of Liberace's life. And few introductions will be needed: Damon most recently appeared in the Soderbergh disease thriller "Contagion," while Douglas was cast in his 2000 film "Traffic," which earned four Oscars, including one for best director.

SOURCE: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/gossip/2011/10/matt-damon-liberace-michael-douglas-behind-the-candelabra-hbo.html

Two questions remain:

1. What happened to that competing Liberace movie to star Nicolas Cage that was announced a few years back?

2. Will his HL appearance be portrayed? The high point of his career, surely! :D

Why a Liberace thread, you might ask? Well, I would wonder myself. Well... wait, why the hell am I starting a thread about Liberace? Oh, yes! It's because that long-talked about Liberace biopic starring Michael Douglas as Liberace and Matt Damon as one of (his last?) his beaux is finally getting off the ground with director Stephen Soderburgh at the helm. What started out as a theatrical project, however, has now been reconfigured -- and now comfirmed! -- as an HBO film entitled Behind the Candelabra.

SOURCE: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/gossip/2011/10/matt-damon-liberace-michael-douglas-behind-the-candelabra-hbo.html

Two questions remain:

1. What happened to that competing Liberace movie to star Nicolas Cage that was announced a few years back?

2. Will his HL appearance be portrayed? The high point of his career, surely! :D

Kids go see movies, so they figured their audience doesn't even know who he was and no the Here's Lucy show will not be in there i'm sure, they have enough material without that little gem.

• 1 year later...

Has your wardrobe become decidedly flashier? lol

No, you're right but i do have a fondness for huge diamond laden rings, as well as the fact that i am looking at a toupee lately, all those jokes about Morty Goldaper have come back to haunt me in a karma sort of way.

Archived