The Magic Carpet

I saw this recently was released by a MOD service, along with a number of rarer Lucy films. I was shocked to learn it was in colour, the only clips I've seen of it are in B&W. I know it's supposedly a terrible movie, but I love the story behind Lucy's choosing to do it.

Well, yeah, that WOULD be the only reason to like any part of that thing. Haven't seen it in decades and have no urge to either.

I recorded this movie (in color) on DVD when Lucy was the TCM Star of the Month back in November 2006. I've only watched it once. It's an extremely lackluster, obviously D-grade movie (not trying to sound like a snob, there's just really no other way to say it :lucydaze:). Lucy's not in very much of the movie, and she looks pregnant. This movie's really only worth seeing once to satisfy your curiousity. Claude's absolutely right - the best part of the picture is the story as to why Lucy did it at all! :lucyhehe:

Claude's absolutely right - the best part of the picture is the story as to why Lucy did it at all! :lucyhehe:

That, and that someone at Columbia had the creative brilliance to cast Abner Kravitz as an Arab. The only thing that could have possibly made it better was to cast Alice Pearce in the Patricia Medina role. :lucysmirk:

I love the corny trailer: "A world of wonders!"

And wasn't Lucy's role described as a temptress with lips hotter than the desert sands?

Well, Desi always thought so anyway, LOL! All this talk about it is making want to see that pice of garbage, LOL! And i hope everybody KNOWS the story about why Lucy did it or i'm going to have to rehash that for those of you who might not.

It was intended as a deal breaker, right? It was offered to her in the hopes that she'd refuse and therefore give them a valid reason to wriggle out of paying her off. But she was smarter than them ;)

Yes, she was, part Scottish you know, and her 85 thousand dollar paycheck ate up most of the budget. The writers even wanted to make changes in the script to make their new BIG star happy but she would have none of it, nothing to delay production as her baby was starting to show. :lucythrill::peachonthebeach::professor::gasp:

• 1 month later...

I saw this recently was released by a MOD service, along with a number of rarer Lucy films. I was shocked to learn it was in colour, the only clips I've seen of it are in B&W. I know it's supposedly a terrible movie, but I love the story behind Lucy's choosing to do it.

I always wanted to see this film given how rare it is (or was until recently) and recorded it when Lucy was Star of the Month on TCM a few years ago. I imagine it will be a long time before I'll watch it again, it was every bit as bad as Lucy said it was, obviously just a piece of junk slapped together for kiddie matinees. On the other hand Lucy was absolutely gorgeous in this and it was kind of interesting seeing her in her first "straight" role after several years of comedies and given how rare it was for her to do drama after this film.

• 3 weeks later...

So "Magic Carpet" wasn't completely un-promoted. These two pictures appeared in the movie section on two successive days preceding the opening Christmas weekend 1951. Television had not reached Portland yet so MC wouldn't necessarily benefit from Lucy's newfound ILL popularity. "MC" actually had a pretty good run playing in various theaters here through April of 52, albeit usually the bottom half of double bills. It even showed up again in July and August and Portland did not get TV until the fall of 1952. It's been a while since I've seen the movie but I don't remember that long hair-style.

I've never heard of the 'co-feature' "The Barefoot Mailman". For Lucy, Bob cummings and Raymond Burr: huge success was just right around the corner!

It's been fun looking through these old newspaper archives.

magicCarpet511222.png

magicCarpet511223.png

So "Magic Carpet" wasn't completely un-promoted. These two pictures appeared in the movie section on two successive days preceding the opening Christmas weekend 1951. Television had not reached Portland yet so MC wouldn't necessarily benefit from Lucy's newfound ILL popularity. "MC" actually had a pretty good run playing in various theaters here through April of 52, albeit usually the bottom half of double bills. It even showed up again in July and August and Portland did not get TV until the fall of 1952. It's been a while since I've seen the movie but I don't remember that long hair-style.

I've never heard of the 'co-feature' "The Barefoot Mailman". For Lucy, Bob cummings and Raymond Burr: huge success was just right around the corner!

It's been fun looking through these old newspaper archives.

magicCarpet511222.png

magicCarpet511223.png

Yeah, Magster'r right Neil, these are great to see. But imagine all those poor Lucy fans going to the theater to see that drek, sigh!

Archived