Lucy Sightings!

Brock

That's Lucy center. I have a different version of this photo with the whole class. Pauline Lopus is next to her in that one.

I'll dig up that one I have tonight. I think this is to be a 9th grade photo.

Just re-reading THIS one, Luvs, and if you have one with Pauline Lopus, she NEVER went to Jamestown H.S., with Lucille; Pauline would have been in high school at Celoron, prior to centralization to Southwestern in mid-50's; i.e. if your photo is 9th grade, the one showing above is way-beyond 9th grade; don't see Lucille there either, although it claims to be.  In any event, IF it's Lucille, Pauline is NOT in photo, unless it's an earlier year.

I believe when Lucille came back to Jamestown, moving into apartment w/her mom, in Jamestown, tried to finish high school, which she had failed to graduate, was trying to graduate; and it's my understanding she NEVER graduated; but, went back to what is now historically-known as her big chance in Hollywood.

Ok, I'm wrong on it being JT high, it should be Celeron. Also Lucy would be age 14. If you've ever seen the basketball photo she's 14 in that and looks way older. I think she was steady in High school until about 16 when she left for NYC and dramatic school. Then school was intermitten and it would have been JT high from age 16.

Ok, I'm wrong on it being JT high, it should be Celeron. Also Lucy would be age 14. If you've ever seen the basketball photo she's 14 in that and looks way older. I think she was steady in High school until about 16 when she left for NYC and dramatic school. Then school was intermitten and it would have been JT high from age 16.

That makes MORE sense to me; lost track (since there is a lack of stuff in print) about those years after she came back from NYC; I think by then, will have to look back, her mom had moved to Jamestown, since the Celoron house went into foreclosure after the gun incident;  that pretty much, raised terrible trauma/memories for the family and its then-relocation.

• Like 1

Gene Kelly's widow Patricia has an Instagram account (@genekellylegacy) that does pretty frequent posts with pictures and reminisces from her husband's life. Yesterday's entry was a lovely story about Lucy and her "gracious behavior".

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXDqXL4ABOk/?taken-by=genekellylegacy

Thanks, Freddie; great 'stuff' for the chronology!   :fabrary: 

• Like 1

You just NEVER know where she's going to show up.   On PBS's "Frontline" it was a documentary about the controversy surrounding the use of vaccines on children.  And who should show up in the middle but Lucy, in a public service spot, talking about the hope for a polio vaccine.  The shot eventually zooms out to include Desi, Desi Jr. and Lucie.  Judging by the kids' ages, I say it was 1954.

I have learned to scan the index of ANY book for "Ball, Lucille" and I learned this when I had a book about house plants.  And much to my surprise, Lucy was in the index.   The author was recommending the placement of plants in Lucy's house.  She wanted it THERE.  He said it should be THERE.  Then he made some reference like "back when I was writing her show".   The author was Joel Rapp.  This was before you could look any of this up.  But he made it sound like he was a staff writer, or at least a writer of many episodes, and I didn't recognize his name.  

His one credit: The "Drafted" of "The Lucy Show": "Mooney the Monkey"!!

Imdb also lists him as a writer of the next season's "Pool Hustler", though Fidelman says it was written by Bob O'Brien.  It seems much more like a Bob O'Brien script to me.  Maybe Joel submitted the idea and O'Brien took it from there. 

You just NEVER know where she's going to show up.   On PBS's "Frontline" it was a documentary about the controversy surrounding the use of vaccines on children.  And who should show up in the middle but Lucy, in a public service spot, talking about the hope for a polio vaccine.  The shot eventually zooms out to include Desi, Desi Jr. and Lucie.  Judging by the kids' ages, I say it was 1954.

I have learned to scan the index of ANY book for "Ball, Lucille" and I learned this when I had a book about house plants.  And much to my surprise, Lucy was in the index.   The author was recommending the placement of plants in Lucy's house.  She wanted it THERE.  He said it should be THERE.  Then he made some reference like "back when I was writing her show".   The author was Joel Rapp.  This was before you could look any of this up.  But he made it sound like he was a staff writer, or at least a writer of many episodes, and I didn't recognize his name.  

Imdb also lists him as a writer of the next season's "Pool Hustler", though Fidelman says it was written by Bob O'Brien.  It seems much more like a Bob O'Brien script to me.  Maybe Joel submitted the idea and O'Brien took it from there. 

More GREAT STUFF; and I thank you.  JK :fabrary: 

• Like 1

And in Rapp's original concept, Lucy's competition in the tournament was probably  a pool-playing  gorilla. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, HarryCarter said:

The My Three Sons episode "Tiger Goes to Hollywood" features Bub, Robbie, and Chip going to LA when their dog is selected for a movie screen test. They are shown outside the Desilu gates and throughout the studio grounds. It would have been great if they had Bub cross paths with Desilu president Lucille Ball. 

Jamie:  Thanks for this; wonderful 'stuff' for the chronology!!!!  Loving you, JK:fabrary:

In a new YouTube video essay called "Why Norm McDonald is a Genius", the author talks about how Norm doesn't have nearly the same amount of fame as equally funny stand up comedians. This statement is accompanied by an animated photo collage of stand ups. However, there is one person in the whole thing who was actually never a stand up comedian. I'll give you three guesses as to who. Talk about influence and legacy!

• 2 weeks later...

Ken Burns current "Vietnam" series.  Footage of the Chicago Democratic national convention riots included a partial shot of a bus with the large font advertisement on the side of the bus "Yours...." as in "Mine and Ours"  now playing at the Astor.

Chicago riots and "Yours Mine and Ours":  talk about your polar opposites depicting that turbulent year 1968.  We weren't exactly aware of current events, particularly politics, in our household.  I don't remember watching the news and we did not subscribe to a newspaper.  (I would, however, go to the neighbors every Monday to read the pre-show review of that night's Lucy Show....Digressing a bit: I guess the episodes of all the shows were available for pre-screening by the critics.  Their blurbs about Lucy's show were very interesting.  Usually very pro-Lucy, even during the HL years.  "Lucy Meets Lucy" was highlighted as the evening's "Best Bet", sort of like the old TV Guide's "Close up".)  Anyway, I was too young to be politically aware. I heard about Vietnam at my grade school but didn't understand.  When peace talks were scheduled in Paris, I thought: well, they'll wrap this thing up soon.  I remember being absolutely dumbfounded when I heard that the first 6 weeks of these talks  consisted of  haggling over the shape of the table!

Ken Burns does tremendous work but somebody's got to talk to him about his hair:  stop coloring it SO dark and a more age-appropriate style.    He looks like one of the Monkees. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Andrea Barber of Full House fame posted a pic of her dressed as Lucy today:

Speaking of fun parodies - and to offer a throwback sighting - I thought this was a well done ‘I love Lucy’ dream sequence from the 90s TV show ‘Lois and Clark.’ I actually think that Dean Cain did a pretty impressive Desi impression:

• Like 1

On 11/26/2017 at 10:33 PM, Brock said:

Bombshell, the new documentary on Hedy Lamarr, produced by Susan Sarandon features a brief clip of Lucy and Danny Thomas' spoof of White Cargo featuring Lucy as Tondelayo. According to the doc, Hedy was stung by these spoofs. 

I hear good things about Bombshell. Is it worth checking out?

The newest episode of Ken Levine’s podcast features his discussion with a seasoned celebrity interviewer, who recounts lots and lots of stories about old and new stars. The episode is a lot like Gilbert Gotfried’s podcast. Lucy is one of the first stars talked about, and they’ve got some funny stuff on her. There’s a brief mention of her serving KFC to her guests... is that true? I’ve never heard that story before. 

I should also note that she’s only referred to as “Lucy”, but everyone automatically knows who’s being talked about. THAT’S star power.

• Like 1