Lucy Sightings!

Brock

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On February 7, 2018 at 0:20 PM, Mot Morenzi said:

I just saw the Wings episode where Antonio becomes obsessed with I Love Lucy. He initially thinks the show is mainly about Fred and Ethel. In the main plot, Brian gets involved in a very Lucy-esque scenario trying to sneak into Clint Black's hotel room. 

I never knew that was a thing! Isn't it interesting how at least three different shows (Golden Girls, Designing Women, Wings) devoted entire plot lines to characters watching I Love Lucy? Talk about cultural impact! It really is just the absolute best there ever was or ever will be. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Freddie2 said:

I never knew that was a thing! Isn't it interesting how at least three different shows (Golden Girls, Designing Women, Wings) devoted entire plot lines to characters watching I Love Lucy? Talk about cultural impact! It really is just the absolute best there ever was or ever will be. 

I know, it's great. This one was very well done, too. After watching a number of episodes, he finally says something like, "It's a great show, but there's no way someone would ever do these types of things in real life." Cut to Brian scaling the trellis to the hotel balcony. 

The opening scene was a hoot. "I just found this wonderful old show about this couple, Fred and Ethel." 

"Oh, you mean I Love Lucy."

"Who? Oh, right, the neighbor."

As an aside, Kirstie Alley makes a cameo as Rebecca from Cheers in this episode.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/14/2018 at 0:14 AM, Mot Morenzi said:

I know, it's great. This one was very well done, too. After watching a number of episodes, he finally says something like, "It's a great show, but there's no way someone would ever do these types of things in real life." Cut to Brian scaling the trellis to the hotel balcony. 

The opening scene was a hoot. "I just found this wonderful old show about this couple, Fred and Ethel." 

"Oh, you mean I Love Lucy."

"Who? Oh, right, the neighbor."

As an aside, Kirstie Alley makes a cameo as Rebecca from Cheers in this episode.

Ugh! And it sounded so great up until mention of that bitch. :lucywow:

I was leafing through Orry-Kelly's long-lost autobiography Women I've Undressed (released in 2016 as a stunning coffee table book) and Lucy makes a brief mention: He praises her for giving up wagon wheel hats by the end of the 50s, which he thinks distracted from her overall look. He mentions this on connection with her appearance on the Hedda Hopper special. 

33 minutes ago, Freddie2 said:

I googled “wagon wheel hat” and literally got a photo of a baseball cap with a picture of wagon wheels on it. I can probably assume what they are; does she wear one in Celebrity Next Door?

Yes, I think that's the kind he's referring to. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brock said:

I was leafing through Orry-Kelly's long-lost autobiography Women I've Undressed (released in 2016 as a stunning coffee table book) and Lucy makes a brief mention: He praises her for giving up wagon wheel hats by the end of the 50s, which he thinks distracted from her overall look. He mentions this on connection with her appearance on the Hedda Hopper special. 

There is a documentary by the same name. I think I found it on Netflix. Don't remember Lucy getting any mentions in it.

3 minutes ago, Luvsbway said:

There is a documentary by the same name. I think I found it on Netflix. Don't remember Lucy getting any mentions in it.

Yeah, it's only a one line deal.

Pick up the book, if you haven't already. I think you'd be in heaven. The illustrations are amazing.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/15/2018 at 3:39 PM, Freddie2 said:

I've heard so much buzz about his hosting. I've always enjoyed his stand up, as well- would you recommend his episode?

Yes, better than most lately. Have enjoyed Mulaney since discovering him in his not-very-good FOX short-lived sitcom with Martin Short a few seasons ago.  Funny though I must have dropped off for a moment -- a not uncommon occurence anymore trying to stay awake through SNL -- as I totally missed the ILL mention.  Dang now I'll have to go back and watch it again! :HALKING:

• 3 months later...