Brock

Lucy Sightings!

HarryCarter    964

An unnamed (and unrecognizable) Bill Frawley was featured in today's CBS Sunday Morning story on blackface. They showed a couple clips from 1935's Harmony Lane. 

Luvsbway    1,940
1 hour ago, HarryCarter said:

An unnamed (and unrecognizable) Bill Frawley was featured in today's CBS Sunday Morning story on blackface. They showed a couple clips from 1935's Harmony Lane. 

I thought that was him. The voice was the tip off.

JessiLu    30
9 hours ago, HarryCarter said:

What’s the connection? Was Bill or actors in Harmony Lane in blackface?

HarryCarter    964
29 minutes ago, JessiLu said:

What’s the connection? Was Bill or actors in Harmony Lane in blackface?

Yes, Bill and the other cast members were in blackface. 

• Sad 1

Luvsbway    1,940

Every year we have at least one celebrity as Lucy. I think I might do a roundup of all the past Lucy and Ricky's for my IG on Wed.  

• Like 2

JessiLu    30
On 10/28/2018 at 10:17 PM, HarryCarter said:

Kelly Ripa, Mark Consuelos, and Ryan Seacrest will be the Ricardos this Halloween. 

The “Live! With Kelly and Ryan” Instagram account posted a cute video of the trio doing a parody skit of ILL:

• Like 2

I caught a Laugh-In the other night...(I hadn't seen since I was 3).. and in the opening they were doing a bunch of old time vaudeville type zingers... One of them went: "Boy, the husband of Lucille Ball is lucky, he has a wristwatch AND a wife that works."

• Like 1

Luvsbway    1,940
20 minutes ago, Irene Kampen Tripp said:

I caught a Laugh-In the other night...(I hadn't seen since I was 3).. and in the opening they were doing a bunch of old time vaudeville type zingers... One of them went: "Boy, the husband of Lucille Ball is lucky, he has a wristwatch AND a wife that works."

Ha, that's hilarious, and how did they know about Gary's watch obsession?

I did not know he had a wristwatch obsession!!  NOW the joke is funny to me!  I was thinking "God!! They're really digging on Gary being a kept man.. how is HE even important enough to be the butt of a joke?" .. but NOW THAT IS A GOOD JOKE and that butt head laughed all the way to the bank anyhow!!

In answer to your question of how the knew about his obsession... IDK  because the joke was a stand alone quick quib... Maybe Rowan and Martin kept tabs on Morton Goldapper.

rickylu    38

Dick Martin was also around during the first year of The Lucy Show. That could've been enough time for him to notice it himself. 

• Like 1

HarryCarter    964

I was watching the PBS documentary "Harold Prince: The Director's Life" and Prince discussed how Too Many Girls was one of the first Broadway musicals that made in impression on him. Several pictures were shown over Desi singing "Spic and Spanish."

Luvsbway    1,940
58 minutes ago, HarryCarter said:

I was watching the PBS documentary "Harold Prince: The Director's Life" and Prince discussed how Too Many Girls was one of the first Broadway musicals that made in impression on him. Several pictures were shown over Desi singing "Spic and Spanish."

Oh gotta look for this one. Hopefully it's On Demand.

Freddie2    794

This week's New Yorker has an article called "Roomba Nation" about the growing presence of robots in people's homes. It includes the following passage:

"There are contrivances that can mow your lawn, wash your windows, assemble your IKEA furniture, clean the kitty-litter box, fold your laundry (at a pokier pace than you, and it doesn't do socks), zip your zipper, apply lipstick to what Lucille Ball might consider lips, give you a tattoo, crush you at Ping-Pong, feed you tomatoes as you jog (the wearable Tomatan), and even devilishly check the little box on a Web site which says 'I am not a robot.'"

Luvsbway    1,940
18 hours ago, Freddie2 said:

apply lipstick to what Lucille Ball might consider lips

Trained robots to draw outside the lines?