Lucy Sightings!

Brock

On 20 May 2019 at 11:38 AM, Luvsbway said:

In the Netflix Laugh-In special, a quick shot of Desi in his guest shot saying, " Sorry Lucy, it's a living."

This was in relation to Lucy being competition to Laugh-In.

One of the reviews I read for that special referred to it playing opposite "CBS juggernaut The Lucy Show." That's how I'll think of TLS from now on - the juggernaut. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think this may be the oldest reference to I Love Lucy I've heard.  1952 episode of The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show. Mistakenly Gracie thinks George is going to kill himself. Harry Morton asks Gracie " I don't know why George would kill himself. Did he see the I Love Lucy show?"

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, JoeySoCal said:

Frankly I've never been totally convinced that the "uh oh" lady was DeDe... could have been any old lady from back in the day since it's one of many laugh track "sounds" and "segments" that they dubbed onto the soundtrack over and over. :HALKING:

I know both Lucy and Desi have said years later in interviews they could hear DeDe in the audience. But they never said anything about her being the uh-oh lady. So I'm not convinced either.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Home from Jamestown and watching something I recorded off TCM while away, the documentary Ava Gardner: The Gypsy of Hollywood, and Lucy and Gary just popped up in colour footage arriving at a Hollywood premiere. The doc tries to pass it off as the preme of There’s No Business like Showbusiness, but that’s obviously impossible. 

04B605AB-4756-45B7-B397-6E14C3C7785F.jpeg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Brock said:

Home from Jamestown and watching something I recorded off TCM while away, the documentary Ava Gardner: The Gypsy of Hollywood, and Lucy and Gary just popped up in colour footage arriving at a Hollywood premiere. The doc tries to pass it off as the preme of There’s No Business like Showbusiness, but that’s obviously impossible. 

04B605AB-4756-45B7-B397-6E14C3C7785F.jpeg

She looks so good and happy.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Brock said:

In the season 27 episode of The Simpsons entitled “How Lisa Got Her Marge Back”, Marge, Lisa and Andrew Rannells go to a Brown Derby/Sardi’s inspired joint called The Penny Loafer. Guess who is on the wall! 

013089B9-1ADE-4E25-BBED-353BCCF08362.jpeg

That I think I caught before. I wonder if anyone has ever put together a list or at least a count of how many Lucy references ended up on the Simpsons. 

I read on google books Conversations with Legendary TV Stars by James Bawden and Ron Miller for the Lucy interview.  They pieced together conversation from several interviews.   It sounds like Lucy and has new tidbits I didn't know.  I don't like they quote Lucy saying she sold the studio in 1974.  Also, the author said Aaron Spelling blamed Lucy for LWL's failing since she wanted executive control which I never heard elsewhere

46 minutes ago, Will said:

I read on google books Conversations with Legendary TV Stars by James Bawden and Ron Miller for the Lucy interview.  They pieced together conversation from several interviews.   It sounds like Lucy and has new tidbits I didn't know.  I don't like they quote Lucy saying she sold the studio in 1974.  Also, the author said Aaron Spelling blamed Lucy for LWL's failing since she wanted executive control which I never heard elsewhere

Gary out ranked Lucy in control on LWL and was making more than she was. So much blame spread around on that katatrophy.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched the film The Bigamist, a 1953 film starring and directed by Ida Lupino. The 2 stars go on a bus tour of famous Hollywood homes. As they drive down Roxbury the driver points out Jimmy Stewart's house then Jack Benny's house and it shows both their actual homes. Given the year, Lucy had not moved in between yet. The scene reminded me so much of The Tour episode. 

• Like 1

On September 14, 2019 at 11:39 AM, Luvsbway said:

Watched the film The Bigamist, a 1953 film starring and directed by Ida Lupino. The 2 stars go on a bus tour of famous Hollywood homes. As they drive down Roxbury the driver points out Jimmy Stewart's house then Jack Benny's house and it shows both their actual homes. Given the year, Lucy had not moved in between yet. The scene reminded me so much of The Tour episode. 

The Criterion Channel currently has that movie featured in a collection of Lupino's works- would you recommend it?