Lucy Sightings!

Brock

Voice actor Billy West is a guest on this week's episode of Gilbert Gottfried's podcast and they discuss his infamous debut on The Howard Stern Show in 1989 where he played an ailing Lucy calling in from Cedars-Sinai. He gives a sample of his portrayal, but it's not as accurate as when he originally did it (segments are available on YouTube). It's certainly not for thin-skinned Lucy fans, but I find it darkly humorous.

• 3 weeks later...

This morning I was driving behind a cherry red Jeep with a tire cover featuring the ILL logo and the Lucy and Ricky stick figures. I couldn't find it online so I'm assuming that it was a custom job. On top of that, the license plate was "1LVELUCY", or something like that. I tried to take a picture but couldn't really maneuver it while driving, and the car sped up considerably so I wonder if they knew that I was trying to take a photo. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Freddie2 said:

This morning I was driving behind a cherry red Jeep with a tire cover featuring the ILL logo and the Lucy and Ricky stick figures. I couldn't find it online so I'm assuming that it was a custom job. On top of that, the license plate was "1LVELUCY", or something like that. I tried to take a picture but couldn't really maneuver it while driving, and the car sped up considerably so I wonder if they knew that I was trying to take a photo. 

I've been contemplating getting a Lucy themed vanity plate. I ran a few of the better combinations and most of the good ones are taken in my state but have found one that wasn't and would look pretty good. I tried a few years ago and got rejected on 2 as already taken.  Unfortunately it's gone up to $85 to get one. I think it use to be $20. So I'm still thinking about it. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On August 26, 2019 at 1:21 PM, HarryCarter said:

I Love Lucy gets a mention by a Manson follower in Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood. 

I saw OUATIH today and that reference made me smile. The line was something like "The only show where nobody got murdered was I Love Lucy!" and I think that Ann, Mary, Helen, Cynthia, Alice and Theodore beg to differ.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I watched a documentary on Erwin Bllomenfeld, a famous fashion photographer. They said Lucy posed for him, yet didn't show a photo of her. A Google search also doesn't turn up any photos that could link them.

I'm not up on too many famous photographers who shot Lucy. Does anyone know of the photo/s that Bloomenfeld may have done with Lucy?

No, but now I know to look for this/look for a sample, I'll be on the lookout.  My fave Lucy photographer is Engstead, to whom she famously (and amusingly) in later years told him, "John, be careful...your camera is getting older all the time"! :HALKING:

I think most of my fave 60's on shots of LB were by Engstead, perhaps because he utilized/perfected that "natural light" (sun) through her hair effect/look. It always with no exceptions I can think of flattered her. 

14 minutes ago, JoeySoCal said:

I think most of my fave 60's on shots of LB were by Engstead, perhaps because he utilized/perfected that "natural light" (sun) through her hair effect/look. It always with no exceptions I can think of flattered her. 

He's the only one who photographed her a lot whose name I remember. And I agree with your assessment. Wonderfully lit that made her look beautiful and natural even with the wig and makeup.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Freddie2 said:

In a CBS Sunday Morning segment on something called "competitive tablescaping", an ILL-themed table can be seen a couple of times. 

I caught that. Years ago I was at the fair and oved the table scapes. They also had Christmas tree decorating and someone did an I Love Lucy tree.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/26/2020 at 8:13 AM, Luvsbway said:

Oh but which one as they moved from General Service (now Red Studios) to Motion Picture Center?

Did a little "sleuthing" and found this Facebook post from a fan site:

"Tickets for the first two taping dates for the Mad About You revival are up at TVTickets123 - Audiences Unlimited, Inc. Dates are September 6th and 13th and filming is at Red Studios Hollywood instead of its original location at The Culver Studios."... so this was what used to be Desilu Cahuenga, then in the "Golden Girls" era, Ren-Mar and now, Red....which I detest but then they didn't ask me! :HALKING:

• Like 1

Director Howard Storm, a member of the Desilu Workshop, was recently on Gilbert Gottfried's show. Carole and Robert both get mentioned (WHY haven't they pegged Carole and Tom as guests yet?), and he talks about how Lucy didn't really like him. Storm grew up as a genuine comedian on stage, whereas Lucy was an actress more than anything, so there's a lot of discussion about their clashing sensibilities. It's so interesting that people are always surprised to hear that Lucy wasn't humorous in real life. Are folks ever shocked to learn that Anthony Hopkins doesn't eat people? Storm tells a story about how she told him to count to three after a laugh, and Howard questioned what to do if a laugh lasted longer than "three". Maybe I'm out of it, but I swear I remember Lucy saying that Buster Keaton told her that? One great thing is that Storm talks about what a genius Desi was- not only in terms of production, but with script problems as well. The Lucy/Desi portion is pretty substantial with a few good stories, so I'd recommend a listen.

9 hours ago, Freddie2 said:

Director Howard Storm, a member of the Desilu Workshop, was recently on Gilbert Gottfried's show. Carole and Robert both get mentioned (WHY haven't they pegged Carole and Tom as guests yet?), and he talks about how Lucy didn't really like him. Storm grew up as a genuine comedian on stage, whereas Lucy was an actress more than anything, so there's a lot of discussion about their clashing sensibilities. It's so interesting that people are always surprised to hear that Lucy wasn't humorous in real life. Are folks ever shocked to learn that Anthony Hopkins doesn't eat people? Storm tells a story about how she told him to count to three after a laugh, and Howard questioned what to do if a laugh lasted longer than "three". Maybe I'm out of it, but I swear I remember Lucy saying that Buster Keaton told her that? One great thing is that Storm talks about what a genius Desi was- not only in terms of production, but with script problems as well. The Lucy/Desi portion is pretty substantial with a few good stories, so I'd recommend a listen.

Oh thank you. I'll put this on my to listen list. I've heard this count thing before so it's a fairly common technique. I think it pertains more to rehearsals or maybe making a movie when you don't have an audience but know you will get a laugh when it finally airs or you hit film night. If you are in front of an audience and it goes longer then 3 then you have to judge when the next line should start as you don't want to still be drown out by laughter. It short of shows how he was a newbie to the acting and TV world. If he was a standup he would always be working in front of an audience and playing to them. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, HarryCarter said:

Time Magazine has created a list of 100 women who would have been chosen if Time’s “Man of the Year” was “Woman of the Year.” Lucy was the selection of “Woman of the Year” for 1951.

https://time.com/5793549/lucille-ball-100-women-of-the-year/

What's so interesting about this is Lucy actually did get her own cover in 1952. So they at least got something halfway right back then. 

On 3/6/2020 at 6:30 AM, Luvsbway said:

What's so interesting about this is Lucy actually did get her own cover in 1952. So they at least got something halfway right back then. 

Something I don't get and that's Beyonce getting the cover! I'm honestly not knocking her, it's simply that her charms and talent elude me. What am I missing??

6 hours ago, JoeySoCal said:

Something I don't get and that's Beyonce getting the cover! I'm honestly not knocking her, it's simply that her charms and talent elude me. What am I missing??

I have no idea. Someone tell me that too. I sort of get the Lizzo thing. I didn't know who she was until a saw a CBS Sunday Morning profile on her. Ok, girl plays flute, girl makes music, girl says FU to all the weight haters. Still don't like her music though.

• Like 1

I also have never understood the way that people worship Beyoncé. This image of her being an untouchable artist and American royalty doesn’t make sense to me, since I see nothing that makes her stand out from every other non-controversial pop star, and the only song of hers I’ve ever heard played more than once is “All The Single Ladies”, and that’s always been at dances or weddings. On the other hand, I totally love Lizzo, especially her song “Juice”. The body positivity preaching can get heavy handed sometimes, but boy is her music fun to sing on road trips with friends.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...