Lucy Sightings!

Brock

That is "Drop That Night" from Bells are Ringing. The musical opened on Broadway in 1956 and the movie was in 1960, so it came after Lucy's TV success.

There's a song from the disastrous 1971 musical Prettybelle called "When I'm Drunk, I'm Beautiful." One lyric in the song mentions "Harlow, Monroe, Miss Lucy Ball." The star of the show and singer of the song: Angela Lansbury. This is after Angela's stint as Mame on Broadway and before the movie was cast. The show was a huge disaster and closed on the road before it reached Broadway.

Yeah, Angie was always sucking up to Lucy in some way or another, LOL! I heard she used to beg her to do Mame when the movie version was first talked about. :marionstrong:

Ok, Jimmy Fallon's show plays here on a channel the following night, so last night's show just played and Jimmy was playing one of his stupid ass games with Amy Pohler and two audience members. They had to describe someone or something as quickly as possible before a clock runs out of time . . . Jimmy got LUCILLE BALL, so he's saying stuff like greatest tv show that ever existed, black and white, greatest tv comedienne of all time, married to Desi Arnaz. If the idiot broad playing with him couldn't get Lucy from those clues, she certainly was not going to get it from MARRIED TO DESI ARNAZ. As he kept repeating something about the greatest tv show ever, and a long time going by, the numbskull finally blurted out LUCY? And when he asked for her complete name, she finally gave him LUCILLE BALL? Oh these young kids today . . . :lucydisgust:

Ok, Jimmy Fallon's show plays here on a channel the following night, so last night's show just played and Jimmy was playing one of his stupid ass games with Amy Pohler and two audience members. They had to describe someone or something as quickly as possible before a clock runs out of time . . . Jimmy got LUCILLE BALL, so he's saying stuff like greatest tv show that ever existed, black and white, greatest tv comedienne of all time, married to Desi Arnaz. If the idiot broad playing with him couldn't get Lucy from those clues, she certainly was not going to get it from MARRIED TO DESI ARNAZ. As he kept repeating something about the greatest tv show ever, and a long time going by, the numbskull finally blurted out LUCY? And when he asked for her complete name, she finally gave him LUCILLE BALL? Oh these young kids today . . . :lucydisgust:

I'm one of the good young ones, huh? It amazes me when I tell someone about my love of Lucy and they say who?! then I say I Love Lucy?! and I get a blank stare. Shame.

Just went to LUCILLE BALL VIDEOS and got to see one i had never seen before, REELING IN HOLLYWOOD or something like that, seems to be a promo for Merv Griffin's great catalogue of shows, thousands of hours, thousands of stars, and they show a promotional interview with Lucy fom Feb 4th 1980. It was terrific, she looked great and the repeartee was sensational. She talked about her seminars of comedy and had cotton mouth as usual, had some water and kept talking. Loved every minute of it and can't wait for all her interviews to be on some kind of dvd like this. Then as a second HELPing, i saw her RKO interview and her talking about her apprenticeship there and Lela Rogers and the help she offered and how Lucy got her start and was not demanding or difficult and took any part that came her way. She ended with the great story of seeing the request for a LUCILLE BALL type, she was thrilled but still did not get that part, LOL! :lucythrill:

Me & the Chimp? My Favorite Martian? SuperTrain? BJ :lucyshock:& the Bear?? My Mother the Car? Grindl? It's About Time?? Manimal? :lucyhaha:

Of all of these, I can't believe someone at the network gave the green light to "My Mother, the Car"....CAR?? Ann Sothern should have made a guest appearance on Desi's "Automan" series. I don't remember "Car", but just how many plots could they come up with??...

."Mother gets a bad case of obstructed bowel when someone puts a potato in her tail pipe" ?

"When Mother falls in love with a 1924 Dusenberg, their clandestine meetings result in an illegitimate volkswagon. Voice of Dusenberg: Don Porter" ?

"When Mother develops a taste for Supreme, the expanding size of her trunk puts her over the legal highway weight limit. Weigh station attendant: Frank Nelson." ?

Episode entitled: "You'll Go Farther With Ethel" A neighbor (guest star Vivian Vance) borrows Mother for a road trip but they both run out of gas in Ohio when Ethel falls asleep at the wheel. After discovering Mother has gotten into her provisions: a stale sandwich and a grape, they try to make a meal out of pecan pralines.

Of all of these, I can't believe someone at the network gave the green light to "My Mother, the Car"....CAR?? Ann Sothern should have made a guest appearance on Desi's "Automan" series. I don't remember "Car", but just how many plots could they come up with??...

."Mother gets a bad case of obstructed bowel when someone puts a potato in her tail pipe" ?

"When Mother falls in love with a 1924 Dusenberg, their clandestine meetings result in an illegitimate volkswagon. Voice of Dusenberg: Don Porter" ?

"When Mother develops a taste for Supreme, the expanding size of her trunk puts her over the legal highway weight limit. Weigh station attendant: Frank Nelson." ?

Episode entitled: "You'll Go Farther With Ethel" A neighbor (guest star Vivian Vance) borrows Mother for a road trip but they both run out of gas in Ohio when Ethel falls asleep at the wheel. After discovering Mother has gotten into her provisions: a stale sandwich and a grape, they try to make a meal out of pecan pralines.

Actually it wasn't that bad a show, not only were we getting Ann Sothern doing comedy again, albeit in voice only BUT we also had Jerry Van Dyke, (Dick's brother) in a cute comedy series.

Tracy Morgan was on Jimmy Fallon tonight and showed a picture of a mural that is painted in his dining room. It's the Last Supper, but made up of his idols. Lucy was one of them.

I was going to skip tonight's rerun of last night's Jimmy Fallon, but now, thanks to your post, i will be tuning in and watching any Tracy Morgan appearance on any show. I know you happen to love Jimmy, and i do too when he's hosting SNL or on anyone else's show but his late night show is really starting to bug my ass. He foists imitations on people that they seem to not enjoy so much, he has these stupid games like Ellen, he constantly yells or screams names at the top of his lungs worse than Oprah ever did. I'm gonna stop watchng his show because of the decibel level same as people stopped watching Lucy in the old days as they were sick of the constant screaming by uncle Harry.

That photo of the Last Supper that Tracy Morgan has, i finally saw on Jimmy Fallon's show. It shows Lucy as an angel over the other characters shown, everybody from Charlie Chaplin to Moms Mabley, but i think he forgot to include Bill Cosby which surprised me as they were mostly black comics with a few exceptions.