Lucy Sightings!

Brock

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One had brains, looks, talent, impeccable timing, foresight, business acumen, financial solvency, the wherewithal to foster a strong empire bolstered by the right people, a stellar and enduring presence on the international stage, the right stuff to still kill in a network war, a clear and tasteful sense of ability, pride in being a clear beneficiary of American immigration policy, and an unabashed, honest and unapologetic appreciation for a good wig. The other wants to be President of the United States. And clearly has a lot more to learn.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2016/01/08/trump-may-have-learned-from-lucille-ball/IfMKLsivtw9TJ5glJp5c3K/story.html#comments

I went to an exhibition this afternoon entitled: "Andy Warhol: Stars of the Silver Screen" which featured not only his famous portraits of Elizabeth Taylor, Marilyn Monroe, Grace Kelly, etc, but a lot of the celebrity memorabilia he collected over the years. There were two Lucy items featured, including one framed photo autographed to "Gerry Paperlogg", which might be my new favourite name, and a candid shot of Lucy getting off a bus in the 70s with everyone else's faces blacked out. Unusually, for some inexplicable reason, this last shot is hanging beside a glamorous photo of Pia Zadora!

There were also shots of Ann Miller partying with Patti Lupone (to be a fly on the wall!), an inordinate number of Margaret Hamilton portraits, correspondence between Andy and "Miss Ginger Rogers" (this is how she was billed, and her envelopes self-addressed), and my favourite: a large photo of Liz and Mike Todd at the races with Eddie and Debbie and Debbie has been ripped off the end of the photo and scotch taped back on. Lol Poor Deb.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Watched Lucille in the Flip Wilson Show, [9/16/71] last evening; Ed Sullivan and the Osmond Brothers, other guests; Weiskopf and Schiller, skit writers; when Desi said she had 'bird legs', he wasn't just whistling Dixie!  Other photos of Lucille do not reveal how thin she was in 1971.  And, I'm amazed, even in the day of hot pants, they would put a 60-year old woman in same; oh, well, glad I got to watch it on Aspire channel....

The Talk featured Carol Burnett and she told the s at the end of my name Lucy story.

And she told it beautifully! Loved her entrance wearing the "man bun" thingy on her head! :blink:

Seems to be her go to story this go around.

Fine by me, she tells it with aplomb. My only disappointment is -- as usual with how they parcel out time on talk shows this daze in that she barely got a segment.... Also, her almost-to-be-expected Tarzan yell was a little weak but I give her a pass, she's only what 80 some odd??

I also loved they showed a clip from The Gary Moore Show, since that really is what got her her first major exposure. :peachonthebeach:

Just viewed:

ABC Good Morning, America - George Stephanopoulous (whatever! you get the idea) interviewing Josh Brolin (son, guy married to Streisand); senility settling in; who will be playing in a new film about a villainous millionaire Hollywood type (Mannix; Maddox????)

and a photo flashed of Lucille and Desi with this guy; just thought I'd mention it here.  Anyone have information on this 'guy'????  I think the film is Hail, Caesar!

I'd like to know about him....thanks!  JK :fabrary:

"Hail, Caesar" involves Eddie Mannix who was an MGM executive who hushed up celebrity scandals.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Mannix

Tilda Swinton plays Hedda Hopper in the movie. Who would have guessed that Hedda Hopper would be a big role for Oscar winning actresses 50 years after her death?

Although Tilda had been previously credited on IMDB as "Hedda Hopper" in Hail, Caesar!, she does not actually play Hedda. Swinton plays twin sister rival gossip columnists who are obviously modeled on Hedda.

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't catch the name of this recent theatrical movie that was playing on HBO.  Looks like a very gritty movie that has something to do with drug deals.  Scene: man knocks on door of slum apartment.  Woman inside has television on, though she's not paying any attention to it.   The sounds of the noisy neighbors mostly drowns out the audio coming from the TV but something sounded familiar. Then the camera panned the room and on TV: Vivian Vance and Williams Frawley standing side by side in a scene from "I Love Lucy Christmas Episode"-----in black-and-white!  Lucy was never shown but you could hear her say "I think that branch is too long, Fred.  Go get your saw."

"Hail, Caesar" involves Eddie Mannix who was an MGM executive who hushed up celebrity scandals.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Mannix

Tilda Swinton plays Hedda Hopper in the movie. Who would have guessed that Hedda Hopper would be a big role for Oscar winning actresses 50 years after her death?

I just saw "Caesar" and I had to explain to my fellow movie companions that Eddie Mannix and (mentioned but not seen) Joseph Schenck were REAL people. During the time period depicted, Mannix would have been 60 and looked nothing like the dashing figure of Josh Brolin.  

I only know Mannix from his "fixer" history.  Don't know how accurate the movie portrayal of his job was, but I didn't know he was involved with production.

Several years later, Mannix's wife was having a semi-public affair with much-younger George "Superman" Reeves which makes his mysterious "suicide" all the more questionable.  

The bit where Frances's scarf gets caught in the moviola:  Did they see the "Life with Lucy" premiere with the pasta maker? 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just watched the first part of the O.J. Made in America documentary series on ABC and kept expecting to see something from his Here's Lucy appearance since they showed quite a bit of his television work. They did not, but in the closing moments of the show they had a picture of Desi Jr. grooving at the Daisy nightclub, the spot where O.J. met Nicole. 

I just watched the first part of the O.J. Made in America documentary series on ABC and kept expecting to see something from his Here's Lucy appearance since they showed quite a bit of his television work. They did not, but in the closing moments of the show they had a picture of Desi Jr. grooving at the Daisy nightclub, the spot where O.J. met Nicole. 

:blink:

• 2 weeks later...