Lucy Sightings!

Brock

Lucie shared it on her Instagram last week. It reminds me of that viral video from a few years ago that paired a ton of old movie musical clips with Bruno Mars' "Uptown Funk". I really, really hope that the success of a clip like that (albeit a small success in internet numbers) led a few people to learn more about Lucy's post-ILL career, as well as possibly introduce them to Ginger and Lucie.

• Like 1

I don't know if this has been shared here before (heck, maybe I've even shared it), but tonight I remembered this very funny segment from This American Life that features a little talk about Lucy:

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/45/media-fringe/act-four

It's featured on some 20-year-old CD set of the show that was in our house for many years, and in the days before you could stream anything and everything online, I'd often pull it out for a few laughs.

• 2 weeks later...

In the finale of Mrs. America, Betty Friedan mentions Lucie Arnaz, Paul Newman, and Carl Reiner as runners in an ERA run in the Hamptons. Although the scene appeared to take place in November 1980, the actual run was in September 1979. Lucie would have been eight months pregnant in November 1980!

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

1981 movie Looker. Susan Day visits her parents who are enjoying The Lucy Show episode Lucy Goes Duck Hunting so much they ignore her. You never see the screen but its the scene in the duck blind. You hear them talking about Lucy shooting the decoy and a few quack, quaks from Lucy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Luvsbway said:

1981 movie Looker. Susan Day visits her parents who are enjoying The Lucy Show episode Lucy Goes Duck Hunting so much they ignore her. You never see the screen but its the scene in the duck blind. You hear them talking about Lucy shooting the decoy and a few quack, quaks from Lucy.

That’s interesting. I wasn’t aware of any examples of her other shows being watched by fictional characters. It’s almost always I Love Lucy

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mot Morenzi said:

That’s interesting. I wasn’t aware of any examples of her other shows being watched by fictional characters. It’s almost always I Love Lucy

That's what surprised me because its always I Love Lucy. And it was mostly Keith's dialogue in the scene too. I just recognized it since they never showed the TV screen. It also had nothing to do with the scene but boy were those actors laughing.

• Like 1

I’m not sure how much Moesha has been watched by any of you. But it’s nostalgic to childhood for me.  There’s a whole episode based off of “I Love Lucy”. She’s watching an episode, then it’s like a dream sequence with all the characters living within an Lucy episode. 

But, what I noticed that was even cooler is that in the next episode, her and her friends are having a sleepover, and Moesha is wearing “I Love Lucy” pajamas. 

2 hours ago, Annaleigh said:

I’m not sure how much Moesha has been watched by any of you. But it’s nostalgic to childhood for me.  There’s a whole episode based off of “I Love Lucy”. She’s watching an episode, then it’s like a dream sequence with all the characters living within an Lucy episode. 

But, what I noticed that was even cooler is that in the next episode, her and her friends are having a sleepover, and Moesha is wearing “I Love Lucy” pajamas. 

Never caught the show but that sounds like a fun episode. And applause for those pj's. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2021 at 9:25 AM, Mot Morenzi said:

Men Are Messy and Fred & Ethel Fight were featured on the latest episode of Dynasty. They inspired Fallon to have retro-sitcom style “dream sequences” where she gained inspiration from the plots to solve some family problems. Concept was better than the execution, but...they tried. 

I also was reminded recently that they did a Men Are Messy inspired episode between roommates on The Jamie Foxx Show too. 

58 minutes ago, Annaleigh said:

I also was reminded recently that they did a Men Are Messy inspired episode between roommates on The Jamie Foxx Show too. 

My favorite call back to Men Are Messy is The Simpsons. Homer..."I'm gonna divide this house a la I Love Lucy."

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Mister Hepburn said:

I’ve been watching The Nanny which has so many Lucy sightings. Probably my favorite is the night before their wedding Fran and Maxwell (in separate locations) are seen watching an episode of I Love Lucy.

This was a great moment. Originally the scene featured Fran talking to Lucy in her dream. This sequence never aired in reruns. CBS was celebrating their 50th anniversary on television and they had several of their current TV characters interact with classic CBS characters.

I always loved all the Lucy mentions too. I think my favorite might be when Fran tells Elizabeth Taylor her favorite thing she did was Here’s Lucy. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Episode 3 of “Impeachment” opens with Matt Drudge working in the CBS gift shop. Naturally, they have a dedicated Lucy section, and one woman notices a VHS box set containing some of the Public Domain “Lucy Show” episodes. She gets all excited, commenting that she never knew Lucy had another show. Drudge proceeds to mention it was in the ‘60s, and salaciously describes Ball’s divorce from Desi, which also shocks the woman. 

I enjoyed this scene for several reasons. One, it was fun to hear “The Lucy Show” receive acknowledgement by another program, which is rare enough. Two, they appeared to have used an actual ‘90s box set, as I recognised the font and cover photo as the one Front Row Features used for their releases. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I’m watching Gilmore Girls and there’s a small wealth of Lucy references sprinkled throughout the series. Tonight’s is especially fun and obscure, I wonder how many people have heard this and thought “what?”

Lorelai is using small trees to hide a boat in her garage, she and Sookie are joking about sneaking more trees and Lorelai says “Great! Then I’ll hop a fence and get Richard Widmark to sign my grapefruit.” 

You can find this in season 5, episode 10, the scene begins around 26:50 and lasts maybe 30 seconds.

• Like 1