Lucy Sightings!

Brock

Have any of you ever noticed the the picture of Lucy in the Grease opening credits? It flashes by in a hurry, only after watching the movie many, many, times did I notice it. Now, of course, I pause it each time I watch it just for a moment of Lucy in all her Lucy Ricardo glory! Here's the video on YouTube,

If you click ahead to the 1:37 mark, she shows up immediately after the Rizzo/Stockard Channing credit!

Blink and you'll miss it, but super cool nonetheless! :professor: Strangely enough, considering all the times I've seen Grease, I don't think I've ever noticed that before!

Good God, me too, and i've seen that movie so often, i remember being pissed because Eve Arden played the principal instead of Lucy. But now i can see why i missed it, why would they blip it so friggin fast for? Too cheap to pay royalties for their image?

Good God, me too, and i've seen that movie so often, i remember being pissed because Eve Arden played the principal instead of Lucy. But now i can see why i missed it, why would they blip it so friggin fast for? Too cheap to pay royalties for their image?

Eve Arden was best known for playing a 1950s high school teacher, so it was only natural she would play the principal. I doubt Lucy would have wanted to play that minor supporting role. Lucie was originally cast as Rizzo, but they took so long to actually contract her for the role and she was already committed to do a summer stock production of Bye, Bye Birdie, that she did the play instead. They hired Stockard Channing instead, who had just co-starred with Lucie in the play Vanities.

Eve Arden was best known for playing a 1950s high school teacher, so it was only natural she would play the principal. I doubt Lucy would have wanted to play that minor supporting role. Lucie was originally cast as Rizzo, but they took so long to actually contract her for the role and she was already committed to do a summer stock production of Bye, Bye Birdie, that she did the play instead. They hired Stockard Channing instead, who had just co-starred with Lucie in the play Vanities.

I know that Eve played a teacher, i just wanted Lucy to play every part made available to any actor in show business at that time, LOL! But finding out Lucie could have played Rizzo was a humdinger though!

I'm not sure why it was so quick, but it probably did have something to do with the royalties. And I had heard that Lucie was tapped to play Rizzo, but the first time I heard about it was reading a rumor that she was dropped when Lucy called the studio and said she that she used to own that studio and her daughter isn't going to do a screen test. I didn't believe it and after I researched I read found out it wasn't true. Crazy what some people will make up just to get a little attention. :lucydisgust:

I'm not sure why it was so quick, but it probably did have something to do with the royalties. And I had heard that Lucie was tapped to play Rizzo, but the first time I heard about it was reading a rumor that she was dropped when Lucy called the studio and said she that she used to own that studio and her daughter isn't going to do a screen test. I didn't believe it and after I researched I read found out it wasn't true. Crazy what some people will make up just to get a little attention. :lucydisgust:

Exactly, Lucy never would have interfered with Lucie getting ANY job, in fact Lucy was incredulous when Lucie refused one part as she would have had second billing to actress Shelley Hack.

Who the hell would want to play second fiddle to Shelley Hack? :marionstrong:

Haha, apparently no one! She hasn't made a movie since '97! And this is the first I've ever heard of her. She must have been snooze-worthy :ido:

Okay, I know that last comment was corny, but I've been dying to use that emoticon! lol

I'm watching that new show on TV Guide, "Hollywood Icons and Innovators," and in this episode Penny Marshall is talking with Susie Essman. Penny was explaining "Laverne & Shirley" and mentioned that it was two girls doing physical comedy, which hadn't been done since Lucy. Later in the episode, Susie Essman said, "this is a sacrilege, but I didn't like Lucy." When she said that they played the music they play when something serious or devastating is about to happen in TV shows. Her explanation was that even as a child, her feminist side made her hate that Lucy had to answer to Ricky. I certainly don't want to be a housewife and don't want to answer to anyone, but during the time of Lucy, that was the norm! If Susie Essman had a chance of gaining me as a fan before, she doesn't stand a chance now!

• Like 1

I'm watching that new show on TV Guide, "Hollywood Icons and Innovators," and in this episode Penny Marshall is talking with Susie Essman. Penny was explaining "Laverne & Shirley" and mentioned that it was two girls doing physical comedy, which hadn't been done since Lucy. Later in the episode, Susie Essman said, "this is a sacrilege, but I didn't like Lucy." When she said that they played the music they play when something serious or devastating is about to happen in TV shows. Her explanation was that even as a child, her feminist side made her hate that Lucy had to answer to Ricky. I certainly don't want to be a housewife and don't want to answer to anyone, but during the time of Lucy, that was the norm! If Susie Essman had a chance of gaining me as a fan before, she doesn't stand a chance now!

People who claim they don't like Lucy for feminist reasons annoy me (I'd rather hear someone say she doesn't like Lucy because she doesn't think the show is funny, but even that I find HARD to swallow :viv1:). I'm all for women's rights - in fact, my undergraduate thesis was in the realm of "women's history" - but it's kind of absurd not to like I Love Lucy because it's pre-women's rights movement. Actually, if you really want to analyze it (which can be fun but undermines the entire purpose of the show which is that it was for ENTERTAINMENT), I'd say that for all the times Lucy Ricardo tries to break out of the home - and in most episodes she DOESN'T do what Ricky "tolls" her - she's more a symbol for the liberated woman than the oppressed woman. Even if she does usually end up back in the home, it's not for lack of trying to break out! But I'll stop this little analysis as Lucille Ball is probably rolling in her grave at the thought of her TV shows being analyzed as symbols of the Women's Rights Movement!

• Like 1

People who claim they don't like Lucy for feminist reasons annoy me (I'd rather hear someone say she doesn't like Lucy because she doesn't think the show is funny, but even that I find HARD to swallow :viv1:). I'm all for women's rights - in fact, my undergraduate thesis was in the realm of "women's history" - but it's kind of absurd not to like I Love Lucy because it's pre-women's rights movement. Actually, if you really want to analyze it (which can be fun but undermines the entire purpose of the show which is that it was for ENTERTAINMENT), I'd say that for all the times Lucy Ricardo tries to break out of the home - and in most episodes she DOESN'T do what Ricky "tolls" her - she's more a symbol for the liberated woman than the oppressed woman. Even if she does usually end up back in the home, it's not for lack of trying to break out! But I'll stop this little analysis as Lucille Ball is probably rolling in her grave at the thought of her TV shows being analyzed as symbols of the Women's Rights Movement!

No, you're absolutely right, the reason the show was banned in some backward arab countries was BECAUSE she wasn't subserviant ENOUGH to Ricky. They absolutely HATED the way she RAN things and did not depend on HIM for anything, had her own ideas, defied him and so on. They were EQUALS in power and that did not sit well with those backward morons.

Yes, Gloria Steinem (early leader of the women's movement) has said the exact same thing more than once over the years BUT, she's added that she did admire Lucille Ball, the person, however, for being at the forefront of equality and getting to the top in show business and running that studiuo and making her own way and building her own financial empire and so on. Roseanne USED to say that at the beginning of her career, in her own nasal tones, I USED TO HATE THE FACT THAT SHE HAD TO ASK RICKY FOR MONEY . . . but all of a sudden, she changed her mind and wound up on the ILL 40th anniversary special praising Lucy. And still does to this day.

Also, Lucy used to say about herself that she was happy she had taught Desi loads about women over the decades. He was, after all, from a culture where women were secondary to their men. I'll never forget the story of him waking her up on their honeymoon night and asking her to get him water. She answered, GET IT YOURSELF! So, afterwards, they compromised and she had water for him sitting on his night table at the ready.

Exactly! She rarely listened to Ricky-they even had lines about it in the show! People just let their ignorance get the better of them.

As for Rosanne, I've never been that big of a fan of hers, but she gets a few bonus points for being a Lucy fan..even if she is contradicting herself!

Exactly! She rarely listened to Ricky-they even had lines about it in the show! People just let their ignorance get the better of them.

As for Rosanne, I've never been that big of a fan of hers, but she gets a few bonus points for being a Lucy fan..even if she is contradicting herself!

I think she just got to her senses later on. Roseanne did a tv Guide cover as Lucy one time and also had planned to do a remake of Long Long Trailer but the response was so bad she gave up the project, LOL!

I think she just got to her senses later on. Roseanne did a tv Guide cover as Lucy one time and also had planned to do a remake of Long Long Trailer but the response was so bad she gave up the project, LOL!

lol I don't blame her! I'll have to look up that spread! And I can't imagine The Long, Long Trailer with anyone else but Lucy. Except me :lucythrill: ...I'm only kidding, of course :rolleyes:

lol I don't blame her! I'll have to look up that spread! And I can't imagine The Long, Long Trailer with anyone else but Lucy. Except me :lucythrill: ...I'm only kidding, of course :rolleyes:

Maybe they can get angie landsbury to do it, make her feel better about losing out on Mame. No wait, she's much too old for the part, but she could play the grandmother of the Lucy character.