Last Lucy Item You Bought?

Brock

This was a radio show. Lucy played opera singer Grace Moore. This was probably the second broadcast of the night that was done live for the west coast.

Thanks, Harry; maybe I won't have to 'investigate' as suggested in my just prior post; any details you can give us about this radio show; and its relation to the 1950's Desilu TV series? Thanks if you know.  Loving you, JK :fabrary:

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi all! I'm super new here and was referred here by Shelly (Luvsbway). I am hoping I can have a couple questions answered about two signed checks I just purchased and received in the mail! Any help from the experts is very much appreciated.

I got them in one lot on eBay. One is signed by Lucy and dated December 1955, and the other is signed by Desi and dated January 1953. Can I be 100% sure these are authentic? I've taken a few close-up photos of each check. Shelly confirmed for me that yes they are authentic, but I figured the more expert opinions the better! Is there any reason I should question the authenticity? And, under Desi's signature where it should say "countersigned" it has a typo and says "cuntersigned." (A pretty bad type I know). Should I be worried about that? 

There are also a couple signatures on the back of each check, including DeDe's on the back of Lucy's.

I'm so sorry, I don't know how to make the images smaller!! And I don't know why they're turned sideways!  :o

cc5bcd51f4.jpg

cc5bbc5710.jpg

cc5b55e878.jpg

cc5ad81f6f.jpg

cc5ab4b73b.jpg

cc5ba18e01.jpg

cc5ba95356.jpg

cc5b20cc2b.jpg

cc5b03e000.jpg

Thank you so so so much! X -Ky

Thank you so much for the welcome!! I'm really glad to be here!

A Marilyn collector I talked to also told me not to worry about the typo. Bad as it is, it's pretty funny, haha.

And I was recently wondering the same thing too, did they all start being auctioned off at different times or who even released them?

• 9 months later...

Just scored my for Lucy item since forever ago. I recently got a modern high that played 78s as well as standard records. I got it fixed up but didn't have 78s. On searching around I found the Desi Lucy single 'Carnival In Rio' going cheap on ioffer. It arrived today and is AWESOME (I had heard the song before on CD) I'm so psyched right now :)

• Like 1

On 9/27/2017 at 1:34 AM, UKlucyfan said:

Just scored my for Lucy item since forever ago. I recently got a modern high that played 78s as well as standard records. I got it fixed up but didn't have 78s. On searching around I found the Desi Lucy single 'Carnival In Rio' going cheap on ioffer. It arrived today and is AWESOME (I had heard the song before on CD) I'm so psyched right now :)

Congrats, David!

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/25/2017 at 1:12 PM, Luvsbway said:

For Christmas I got the book Lucy's Palm Springs. Apparently this is an updated version. I know very little of this book, but it should make for an interesting read. Anyone read this new version or the old one?

I saw it at various establishments over the period of couple years I lived there, even prominently displayed at the local hardware store(!) of all places..but much as I would have like to snag a copy, I was unemployed and couldn't justify the purchase, especially given it seemed from what I recall to be a bit on the "cheesy" side...for lack of a better word.

That being said, I'm happy you got gifted it and hope you enjoy it. Would love to hear a review of it once you've read it. :peachonthebeach:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I found this weird plastic promotional beerstein in a flea market this afternoon. I had no idea such a thing even existed and I wonder how they were distributed — did they come in boxes of Budweiser? Was it a promotional studio item? Hmm. 

A9D4D9FA-88A8-4BDC-9ADB-5BBE458CEFE8.jpeg

DA100765-C158-4CE9-A06D-8155C2DD3BE7.jpeg

• Like 1

I find Swing Out, Sweet Land to be so fascinating. It rallies back and forth from kitsch to schlock to genuine inspiration. It's probably a good representation of the values of a certain side of Vietnam-Era America; Archie Bunker sang the praises of the special on an episode of All in The Family. I want to know how this behemoth was produced, how much money was pumped into it, and what kind of ratings it got. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 10/14/2018 at 5:14 PM, Brock said:

I found this poster at a flea market this afternoon — I had no idea Desilu had a Canadian sales arm. Now to find out where it is! The poster reveals nothing. 

1D9FA335-E3DC-4836-97E1-B1A568D62A14.jpeg

Well actually the "fine print" under the Desilu moniker reads "Visit us in the Vice Regal Suite 16th Floor" and if that's not a clue .... :HALKING:

1 hour ago, JoeySoCal said:

Well actually the "fine print" under the Desilu moniker reads "Visit us in the Vice Regal Suite 16th Floor" and if that's not a clue .... :HALKING:

Well, yes, but the only vice regal suites are in the provincial legislature — none go that high — and in the Canadian Pacific hotels, so definitely not the permanent location