The Lucy Show Season 1 in color

Anybody wish, that since 5 out of 6 seasons were shot in color, that season 1 was colorized too? I wish I could see some more color stills from that year. Here are the episodes I wish I could see in color

"Lucy Buys a Boat"

"Lucy & The Runaway Butterfly"

"Lucy & Viv Install a shower"

"Lucy & Viv Take Up Chemistry"

"Together for Christmas"

"Lucy is a Soda Jerk"

what the heck . . . all of them!

Some of them could easily be colorized because on the DVD settings menu is a color still of Lucy from "Lucy Puts up a TV Antenna" and also the cover art of season 1 has a color still of Lucy and Viv on the roof. And some of the season 2 screencaps in the theme song have color stills from season 1.

In "Lucy & Viv install a shower" I found a colorized screencap from that episode but I doubt it's even accurate because Lucy has blue lips. lucy2a212.jpg

And you know the wallpaper in Sherman and Jerry's room was blue because of the planes and the clouds.

Also, when she and Viv were frosting the cake in the wedding episode, did they have to make the frosting a muted color so it would show up better on tape? Like, black or brown as opposed to red?

Considering Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie did the same thing for their few early B&W years, I suppose it would make a bit of sense.

However, both Bewitched and Jeannie are a lot more familiar to viewers due to their heavy syndication. The Lucy Show, while having a devout following, is less familiar to a wide variety of people. I'm just not sure that making that one season in colour would boost sales all that much, considering the more limited knowledge people have of it compared to I Love Lucy. Had TV Land picked TLS up (and they're complete IDIOTS for ignoring it and Here's Lucy), it might have more of an audience.

But I think that limited availability helped boost the DVD sales. Since the B&W season 1 did so well, is there a real need to colorize it? Curiosity factor, yes, but ultimately not all that interesting IMO.

I think technology today allows them to program certain "regions" with a specific colour, and a computer does multiple frames at once.

Which outfits did Lucy & Viv wear in season 1, that were shown in the later seasons? My favorite shirts worn by Lucy are her blue and green shirts--both were worn in "Kiddie Parties Inc." She was wearing the green at the beginning, and during the scene where she and Viv blow up balloons she was wearing blue. Is it easy to tell which one it is in black/white?

Also, in "Soda Jerk" was the set of the ice cream parlor pink? Wasn't it the same one used in "Safe Cracker?"

I was just watching "Little League." I know she was wearing that brownish parka at the beginning (I saw it in the color still of "TV Antenna" on the season 2 theme) and I think she was wearing either her green or blue shirt during the indoor "Batting practice."

Make the walls a beige color and see what color Jerry and Sherman's PJs were in season 2, and I can colorize that scene!

• 1 month later...

Considering Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie did the same thing for their few early B&W years, I suppose it would make a bit of sense.

However, both Bewitched and Jeannie are a lot more familiar to viewers due to their heavy syndication. The Lucy Show, while having a devout following, is less familiar to a wide variety of people. I'm just not sure that making that one season in colour would boost sales all that much, considering the more limited knowledge people have of it compared to I Love Lucy. Had TV Land picked TLS up (and they're complete IDIOTS for ignoring it and Here's Lucy), it might have more of an audience.

But I think that limited availability helped boost the DVD sales. Since the B&W season 1 did so well, is there a real need to colorize it? Curiosity factor, yes, but ultimately not all that interesting IMO.

TV Land didn't pick up The Lucy Show or Here's Lucy because they already had the Lucy audience with I Love Lucy being apart of their schedule. The network just chose the original over the subsequent programs because of its track record of performing the best. As of now, they have no excuse not to air one of her subsequent programs as there is no Lucy on their schedule. And even if they tried, they can't air I Love Lucy as that program is, I believe, exclusive to the Hallmark Channel.

TV Land didn't pick up The Lucy Show or Here's Lucy because they already had the Lucy audience with I Love Lucy being apart of their schedule. The network just chose the original over the subsequent programs because of its track record of performing the best. As of now, they have no excuse not to air one of her subsequent programs as there is no Lucy on their schedule. And even if they tried, they can't air I Love Lucy as that program is, I believe, exclusive to the Hallmark Channel.

I am hoping AntennaTV will pick up either "The Lucy Show" or "Here's Lucy". They have "The Jack Benny Show", "Burns And Allen", "Bachelor Father", "Dennis The Menace", "Father Knows Best", "Hazel", "Gidget", "The Flying Nun", "The Monkees", "The Partridge Family", "All In The Family", "Threes Company", and more....

• 3 weeks later...

I am hoping AntennaTV will pick up either "The Lucy Show" or "Here's Lucy". They have "The Jack Benny Show", "Burns And Allen", "Bachelor Father", "Dennis The Menace", "Father Knows Best", "Hazel", "Gidget", "The Flying Nun", "The Monkees", "The Partridge Family", "All In The Family", "Threes Company", and more....

MeTV runs The Lucy Show occasionally... they had a marathon on Lucy's 100th birthday. Their spinoff channel MeToo (only available in Chicago) still shows it in the wee hours of the morning.

If the series ever makes it to a complete boxed set of all six seasons, i assume they'll NEED something like season one in color to sell it.

Now that is something i could see them doing and i would be ALL for it.

After all, Even if you bought the I Love Lucy: The Movie DVD, the ILL Complete series box-set is the only place you can get a restored version of season one.

After all, Even if you bought the I Love Lucy: The Movie DVD, the ILL Complete series box-set is the only place you can get a restored version of season one.

I'm tellin ya, i cannot WAIT to see all her shows out in complete boxed sets like the ILL one is.

Even the 7-disc reissue of season 1 isn't restored as well as the complete box set version?

Archived