Which Lucy did you prefer? Ricardo? Carmichael? Carter?

As my title says, which Lucy did you find funniest? Ricardo, Carmichael, Carter, or Barker? (Or even Whittaker)

For me, it's a tie between Ricardo and Carmichael. Ricardo was the Lucy I was most familiar with for years until CBS FINALLY decided to release The Lucy Show--and then MPI releasing Here's Lucy. I kind of like the "ding-a-ling" in Lucy Carmichael, too. Lucy Carter was a teensy bit too mature for my tastes but she was still funny and innocent!

Oh and I am not the one who thinks Lucy Carmichael was too much of a "ding-a-ling." Someone else used that term.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As my title says, which Lucy did you find funniest? Ricardo, Carmichael, Carter, or Barker? (Or even Whittaker)

For me, it's a tie between Ricardo and Carmichael. Ricardo was the Lucy I was most familiar with for years until CBS FINALLY decided to release The Lucy Show--and then MPI releasing Here's Lucy. I kind of like the "ding-a-ling" in Lucy Carmichael, too. Lucy Carter was a teensy bit too mature for my tastes but she was still funny and innocent!

Oh and I am not the one who thinks Lucy Carmichael was too much of a "ding-a-ling." Someone else used that term.

Seeing as i consider Lucy Ricardo to be the all time greatest TV character of all time, i'll go with HER!

For consistency, Lucy Ricardo all the way.

But I also liked Lucy Carmichael, especially in the early years. While the Lucy Carmichael of Los Angeles had a much prettier wardrobe and had some decent episodes, she became more inconsistent.

Lucy Carter fluctuated a lot, too. There are some times she's hysterical, but most often too pushy and annoying.

Lucy Barker was an all around pain in the ass, albeit a well-intentioned one.

For chutzpah, cleverness, and consistency, Lucy Ricardo for the win!

Don't get me wrong, I love Lucy's later work, but as everyone else has said, after season 3 of The Lucy Show the Lucy Carmichael character became very inconsistent, and Lucy Carter changed depending on the script as well. One thing I do really like about Lucy Carter, though, even though for many of the Here's Lucy episodes she is the dumbest "Lucy", is the dynamic with her kids. You can tell how happy and proud Lucille Ball was to be working with her own children, and it's sweet.

Don't get me wrong, I love Lucy's later work, but as everyone else has said, after season 3 of The Lucy Show the Lucy Carmichael character became very inconsistent, and Lucy Carter changed depending on the script as well. One thing I do really like about Lucy Carter, though, even though for many of the Here's Lucy episodes she is the dumbest "Lucy", is the dynamic with her kids. You can tell how happy and proud Lucille Ball was to be working with her own children, and it's sweet.

Oh yes, Lucy with her real kids was so much better than with her fake kids.

I agree, that dynamic played so well. Especially in the later years of Here's Lucy, Lucie Arnaz really shone.

It's unfortunate that the same dynamic didn't happen with the kids on The Lucy Show. Maybe they were just too young to get heavily invovled in the shows, but I kind of wish Bob, Bob, Bob and Madelyn had written more for them to do. And I also feel dropping them completely from the California years was a mistake. Sherman's absence made sense, but Jerry and Chris could've at least popped up for a few shows a year. I mean, Lucy Carmichael moved to California to be nearer Chris in college, why not show her once in a while?

Think of some of the hilarious plots that could've formed from that: Overanxious Lucy trying to get Chris settled in her dorm room, popping in every five minutes to check up on her (as that concept played off so well on Here's Lucy with Kim), competing in mother-daughter pageants against famous celebrities and their children, driving down to Mexico for the "very special" abortion episode....okay, maybe not THAT one!

I agree, that dynamic played so well. Especially in the later years of Here's Lucy, Lucie Arnaz really shone.

It's unfortunate that the same dynamic didn't happen with the kids on The Lucy Show. Maybe they were just too young to get heavily invovled in the shows, but I kind of wish Bob, Bob, Bob and Madelyn had written more for them to do. And I also feel dropping them completely from the California years was a mistake. Sherman's absence made sense, but Jerry and Chris could've at least popped up for a few shows a year. I mean, Lucy Carmichael moved to California to be nearer Chris in college, why not show her once in a while?

Think of some of the hilarious plots that could've formed from that: Overanxious Lucy trying to get Chris settled in her dorm room, popping in every five minutes to check up on her (as that concept played off so well on Here's Lucy with Kim), competing in mother-daughter pageants against famous celebrities and their children, driving down to Mexico for the "very special" abortion episode....okay, maybe not THAT one!

Ahem, yeah, right, norman lear was not a producer on the show, thank God! I think they went with the easy comedy, with the Queen making sirloin out of baloney. All the kiddie plots had been done to death on other shows at the time but Lucy, well, there was nobody like her on sitcoms.

I can't describe the character of Lucy Whittaker--it seemed like a mix of Carmichael and Carter and a teensy bit of Ricardo.

One thing I like about Lucy Whittaker is that it's great to see the Lucy character have a husband again! Having Vivian Vance along to be the best friend also makes this Lucy character special. I'd say Lucy Whittaker is a mix of Lucy Ricardo and Lucy Carmichael.

One thing I like about Lucy Whittaker is that it's great to see the Lucy character have a husband again! Having Vivian Vance along to be the best friend also makes this Lucy character special. I'd say Lucy Whittaker is a mix of Lucy Ricardo and Lucy Carmichael.

A husband again? But he was DEAD again, LOL! Lucy Barker would have been better played like an older but more worldly wise Lucy Ricardo. In that lazy boy recliner run amok, she was still Lucy Ricardo though. And in the soap suds too.

A husband again? But he was DEAD again, LOL! Lucy Barker would have been better played like an older but more worldly wise Lucy Ricardo. In that lazy boy recliner run amok, she was still Lucy Ricardo though. And in the soap suds too.

I was talking about Lucy Whittaker from "Lucy Calls the President." :marionstrong:

1. Lucy Ricardo - Season 1 through 6

2. Lucy Carmichael- Season 1 through 3

3. Lucy Carter- overall

4. Lucy Carmichael- season 4 through 6

5. Lucy Ricardo- The Lucy And Desi Comedy Hour

For me, Lucy Ricardo for nine seasons, then Lucy Ricardo Carmichael for six more and then old lady Ricardo Carmichael Carter for six more, then grandma Ricardo Carmichael Carter Barker for 13 eps.

1. Lucy Ricardo - Nothing can ever top Ricardo, she was perfection. Bright, wacky, gorgeous, lovable, hilarious.

2. Lucy Carter - The chemistry with her kids is astounding, and she seems to work better here with Gale, too.

3. Lucy Carmichael - She's great with Viv and The Countess, but the last few years she needed a constant female foil to even her out.

Correction, Lucy never needed anybody to be the Queen of all things, LOL! After all, it was called The L U C Y show.

Obviously she could handle it on her own, but I think the better episodes of her post-I Love Lucy shows were those where she had a female foil. Said foil doesn't need to be in every scene with Lucy, but her presence gives Lucy a lot more to play off of.

Obviously she could handle it on her own, but I think the better episodes of her post-I Love Lucy shows were those where she had a female foil. Said foil doesn't need to be in every scene with Lucy, but her presence gives Lucy a lot more to play off of.

True, but sometimes the FOIL was better than other times, i won't name names, LOL!

Archived