Special Premiere Screening & Panel @ LA Paley Center!

Monday, December 5, 2011; 7:00 pm

Premiere screening of new HD restoration of Ball's innovative 1966 television special Lucy in London, featuring music by Phil Spector and Irwin Kostal and starring special guests Anthony Newley and the Dave Clark Five, this dazzling travelogue was filmed entirely on location in and around the UK capital at the height of mod and swinging '60s.

The film will be preceded by the premiere of a new behind-the-scenes documentary on the project titled Lucy in London Revisited, which will be a special bonus feature on The Lucy Show's Official 5th Season DVD release.

In Person:

Steve Binder, Producer/Director

Ron Friedman, Cowriter

Moderated by Tom Watson, Executive Producer, The Official Lucy Show DVD Releases

Additional guests to be announced

Tickets on sale to Members now; on sale to General Public Friday, November 4 at noon

http://72.32.82.169/enews/2011/nov11-la.html

Monday, December 5, 2011; 7:00 pm

Premiere screening of new HD restoration of Ball's innovative 1966 television special Lucy in London, featuring music by Phil Spector and Irwin Kostal and starring special guests Anthony Newley and the Dave Clark Five, this dazzling travelogue was filmed entirely on location in and around the UK capital at the height of mod and swinging '60s.

The film will be preceded by the premiere of a new behind-the-scenes documentary on the project titled Lucy in London Revisited, which will be a special bonus feature on The Lucy Show's Official 5th Season DVD release.

In Person:

Steve Binder, Producer/Director

Ron Friedman, Cowriter

Moderated by Tom Watson, Executive Producer, The Official Lucy Show DVD Releases

Additional guests to be announced

Tickets on sale to Members now; on sale to General Public Friday, November 4 at noon

http://72.32.82.169/enews/2011/nov11-la.html

I dunno if i could actually watch this, my eyes are used to the lousy copy i've had for decades, LOL! Imagine seeing it all restored and everything! Wonder if they can let Phil out for the screening?

Seriously, remember when Lucy said to Mr Hartman on Good Morning America that she knew the Center meant so much to Mr Paley, that he had told her in detail and now that they're both gone, their work continues to entertain the masses as they at the center intended all along. It was Mr Paley's VISION and Lucy is still number one in our hearts thanks to the great work done there.

HAHAHAHA. This place...s'wonderful.

Well, i admit i do get carried away at times and the humor is not for everybody, i apologize for that but i feel, like Lucy, that laughter is the key to a happy life, and when you're depressed most of the time like i am, you need those little pick me ups, i understand they might be a little over the top sometimes but no harm is done, no offense intended. AND i just can't resist a good pun or humor that will make somebody fall off their chair. You do know that one day they're gonna burn us up and put us in the ground so none of this will really matter anyway. Sorry about being so maudlin lately but i have this terrible cold and feel like shit.

And just so we get no complaints about being off topic . . . remember that even though i think Lucy in London was excellent and one of the best things Lucy ever did, it was very unusual and different and no laugh a minute by any means.

Yeah...but what a treat to be able to see it again, and newly-refreshed and on the big screen yet! Can't wait!!! :D

Yeah...but what a treat to be able to see it again, and newly-refreshed and on the big screen yet! Can't wait!!! :D

Oh i know and agree BUT i just didn't want fans who've never seen it to expect the ultimate and be disapointed. I thought it was her doing something different for a change, and in a much different setting, a clever set up and great music, guests, and some quite funny bits here and there. I still say that after Mr and Mrs, it was her best special ever. And you're right of course, after watching those terrible washed out copies all thsoe years, it will be so nice to see it remastered and looking great in a pristine print.

I'm all for a restored version of this . I can't wait to see it in the glorious color and clarity it was meant to be seen in.

But HD??

Lucy was still pulling off her young-ish look at this point but I think it was taking more make-up and longer eyelashes. You have to remember that these shows were shot with the TV sets available in 1966 in mind so a certain amount of degradation from the original print was expected. I'm wondering how she will look in HD.

I'm all for a restored version of this . I can't wait to see it in the glorious color and clarity it was meant to be seen in.

But HD??

Lucy was still pulling off her young-ish look at this point but I think it was taking more make-up and longer eyelashes. You have to remember that these shows were shot with the TV sets available in 1966 in mind so a certain amount of degradation from the original print was expected. I'm wondering how she will look in HD.

I know, when you see her on Joey's avatar, she looks sensational as she did for the whole DRESSING MOD MONTAGE however, any of you see the untouched up shots of her in the water with Tony? The bags under her eyes would be over the limit at any airport today.

I know, when you see her on Joey's avatar, she looks sensational as she did for the whole DRESSING MOD MONTAGE however, any of you see the untouched up shots of her in the water with Tony? The bags under her eyes would be over the limit at any airport today.

All the "HD" probably means is that it was reformatted for today's current widescreen ratio TV monitors. But...I'ma just guessin' -- won't know for sure till the presentation. Most likely they'll explain it as part of the discussion of the "making of" documentary portion of the evening.

Stay tuned! :D

Oh you cruel cruel man.. I suppose if she were to check into your hotel you'd ask if she wanted a bellman to take those bags to her room for her.

I think Lucy's attempts to maintain a younger look hurt her comedy. She started to look a bit unreal. When I compare the rehearsal footage of the Jack Benny Biography show with the actual filming, I think she looks much better at rehearsal, more natural and still very attractive.

And the more she tried to cover it up, the more the critics focused on her age....Less so for actresses that let themselves age a bit.

Oh you cruel cruel man.. I suppose if she were to check into your hotel you'd ask if she wanted a bellman to take those bags to her room for her.

I think Lucy's attempts to maintain a younger look hurt her comedy. She started to look a bit unreal. When I compare the rehearsal footage of the Jack Benny Biography show with the actual filming, I think she looks much better at rehearsal, more natural and still very attractive.

And the more she tried to cover it up, the more the critics focused on her age....Less so for actresses that let themselves age a bit.

Hey, you forget this is the man who talked about her BAGS when she did the Tonight show in that fan letter so . . . .the point is she knew that when you`re old, they just don`t want you or hire you, so she tried to keep the youthful illusion as long as she could, problem is she came to TV at forty, when most actresses today find there are just no parts for older women in Hollyweird. Thank God it`s a bit different these days, there is still work out there for Betty andd Rickles and a few others. BUT as fun as it was to see Phyllis Diller on Rosie's show, you FEEL for her not being as quick or agile and certainly not as funny but still quite sharp for her age and the memories she brings back to fans are just priceless.

I agree. In the the late 1960s and for the rest of her career, Lucy's attempts at maintaining a younger look became more and more obvious. Not that I don't understand why she did it. I can't imagine how difficult it must have been to compete constantly with the younger image of Lucy Ricardo. The story of the little girl who asked Lucy "What happened to your FACE?" when she was doing publicity for Yours, Mine, & Ours always makes me feel sad for Lucy. Still, I think she looked so much more natural and absolutely beautiful when she wore her own hair and less makeup. At least we can be grateful that her skin was too sensitive for major plastic surgery and she never wound up looking like Joan Rivers or Mary Tyler Moore. Talk about unreal! :lucyhorror:

I agree. In the the late 1960s and for the rest of her career, Lucy's attempts at maintaining a younger look became more and more obvious. Not that I don't understand why she did it. I can't imagine how difficult it must have been to compete constantly with the younger image of Lucy Ricardo. The story of the little girl who asked Lucy "What happened to your FACE?" when she was doing publicity for Yours, Mine, & Ours always makes me feel sad for Lucy. Still, I think she looked so much more natural and absolutely beautiful when she wore her own hair and less makeup. At least we can be grateful that her skin was too sensitive for major plastic surgery and she never wound up looking like Joan Rivers or Mary Tyler Moore. Talk about unreal! :lucyhorror:

So true, just saw a pic of that bitch angela lansbury, LOL! And she looks like wrinkle city, just a mass of wrinkles everywhere, a sea of wrinkles, you look up WRINKLES in the dictionary and her picture's there, etc . . . and of course she's almost ninety so you expect it, and i remember she's a Broadway type, always looking natural and simple with no pretense, but it sure is hard for older actresses, not all of them age gracefully like Meryl Streep. Some keep their distinctive LOOK like Shirley MacLaine, some keep their regal looks till the day they died or some still go into seclusion like Marlene Dietrich or Joan Crawford not wanting to disapoint her fans. Lucy, with her own hair and no lift contraption on at the Kennedy Center serenading Hope was nice to see but it wasn't the Lucy i was most familiar with and expected.

Archived