Signed Copy of A Book

Mister Hepburn

This site is pretty fascinating, especially if you're at all interested in collecting celebrity autographs. I stumbled across a thread about finding celebrity autographs at thrift stores, and someone hit the freaking jackpot...

http://www.fanmail.biz/mboard/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=187617&start=15

(go to the end of the third post)

I damn near passed out when I found a copy of Tracy & Hepburn signed by Garson Kanin at a used book shop for $7 (interestingly, it's signed "To Ruth" with some little message, I like to imagine he signed it to his wife, Ruth Gordon--I realize how unlikely this is). So I can't even imagine what would happen if I'd found this! :desi1:

I damn near passed out when I found a copy of Tracy & Hepburn signed by Garson Kanin at a used book shop for $7 (interestingly, it's signed "To Ruth" with some little message, I like to imagine he signed it to his wife, Ruth Gordon--I realize how unlikely this is).

WHAT?!?!?! :lucywow: :lucywow: :lucywow: Lucky duck!!! :HALKING:

D.W. Griffith? What song did he autograph? Was it a racist song like My Old Kentucky Home? lol

I think I told this story a while back but the newspaper I work for used to be combined with a used bookstore that was owned by my editor. Anyway, while helping him sort some old boxes of books that hadn't been sorted yet he found an autographed copy of Betty White's "In Person" and gave it to me along with a hardcover edition of the same book that was also in the box. :HALKING:

D.W. Griffith? What song did he autograph? Was it a racist song like My Old Kentucky Home? lol

I think I told this story a while back but the newspaper I work for used to be combined with a used bookstore that was owned by my editor. Anyway, while helping him sort some old boxes of books that hadn't been sorted yet he found an autographed copy of Betty White's "In Person" and gave it to me along with a hardcover edition of the same book that was also in the box. :HALKING:

HAHAHA. She's actually trying to sell it now, and it's here at work but it's close to closing and I don't feel motivated enough to go look...so check back on Friday. LOL

And that's amazing! I'd love to have Betty's autograph! If I thought I could make it happen, I'd love to send a TMTMS cast picture to everyone (sans Ted Knight, obviously) to get it signed by everyone...but I'd be afraid of it not coming back to me eventually.

I damn near passed out when I found a copy of Tracy & Hepburn signed by Garson Kanin at a used book shop for $7 (interestingly, it's signed "To Ruth" with some little message, I like to imagine he signed it to his wife, Ruth Gordon--I realize how unlikely this is). So I can't even imagine what would happen if I'd found this! :desi1:

Oh, My Gosh!!!!!!!!! Was Tracy married to actress, Ruth Gordon???????? If this is true, I have never heard or known THAT!!!! Yikes! Remember actress, from that scary movie Mia Farrow was in, title escapes me right now; first stages of ALZ, I expect@!##@!! JK

ABOUT 'A BOOK': So happens when I began research for the chronology, 2/05, at urging of the Center 'head honcho', name escapes me at the moment, oh, yea, arrdubya, I was given "THE ONLY COPY WE HAVE" for that research - it is a pristine copy, sadly, NOT autographed; but, still in my possession; wonder what they would pay to have it back??? I found it a fascinating read; and will do so, again, one of these chill winter, stay-at-home-nights.... SSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

JK

Oh, My Gosh!!!!!!!!! Was Tracy married to actress, Ruth Gordon???????? If this is true, I have never heard or known THAT!!!! Yikes! Remember actress, from that scary movie Mia Farrow was in, title escapes me right now; first stages of ALZ, I expect@!##@!! JK

Garson Kanin, the author of the book, was married to Ruth Gordon. (And what do you mean, "Yikes!" ?! :lucythrill::marionstrong: )

This site is pretty fascinating, especially if you're at all interested in collecting celebrity autographs. I stumbled across a thread about finding celebrity autographs at thrift stores, and someone hit the freaking jackpot...

http://www.fanmail.biz/mboard/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=187617&start=15

(go to the end of the third post)

I am in possession of a hardback copy of "A Book" with the original dust jacket autographed to ME (with same "Muchas Gracias"). Desi was doing a book signing for the paperback version, but I took my hardback to have him autograph that. Does this actually have any value??

He was charming and personable. I think I posted the picture I had taken of the two of us once. I looked like a regular patron of The Hairy Ape....The Charles Manson look was IN!!

I am in possession of a hardback copy of "A Book" with the original dust jacket autographed to ME (with same "Muchas Gracias"). Desi was doing a book signing for the paperback version, but I took my hardback to have him autograph that. Does this actually have any value??

He was charming and personable. I think I posted the picture I had taken of the two of us once. I looked like a regular patron of The Hairy Ape....The Charles Manson look was IN!!

Wow, Neil, how fantastically cool that you got to meet Desi! Don't burn your chickens before your bridges is hatched, but I'd think a hardcover with the original dust jacket AND an autograph MUST be worth at least a little something!

You looked terrific, with both of them in those great pics you got taken. Desi's book was a real bestseller that he plugged on all the major talk shows. How did you get Lucy's autograoph Neil?

• 4 months later...

I got an autographed copy of Betty's HERE WE GO AGAIN on a remainder table at a book store for $5 or $6 back in the late 1990's. Stars often autograph dozens of extra copies when they are at a book signing for the store to sell later on in addition to those signed for fans who come to meet them and sometimes those books never sell and are sent back to the publisher who then later sells them when the book goes out of print to companies that supply bargain table titles. It is uncommon though to find them that way, the only other one I found like that and bought was Susan Strasberg's book on Marilyn Monroe.

I have been lucky enough to find autographed copies of books by Minnie Pearl, Molly Picon, and Hedda Hopper at used book stores that either didn't notice or care they were signed and were priced quite cheap. I'm with the crowd here though, if I would find Desi's book signed I would probably pass out and somebody would have taken it by the time I recovered!

Archived