Behind-the-Scenes Gallery

Which episode of Life with Lucy is that from?

Sorry...I am too late...was finding some photos...but you are both correct.

It was not actually from any episode...it was taken during a publicity shoot on the hardware store set. The photos were shot after the John Ritter episode, which was filmed on 8/14/86 and aired 9/27/86.

I remember Lucy having a blast during the shoot and doing anything to make the session easy, fun and asking the photographer did they get what they needed. This amazing woman at 75 was tired after doing the show and all, but she never really let on. The professional that she was...it was just part of the job.

The relationship that Lucy & Gale had was a marvel to watch; the mutual respect permeated the set.

A fun, little story as well: the hardware store had all kinds of signage around it...and if you look at the screen grab below from the Ritter episode, you can see the "Camping Supplies" sign in the background. Further below is a shot of the actual prop...all of these years later.

LWL_Ritter.jpg

CampingSupplies_Sign.jpg

Sorry...I am too late...was finding some photos...but you are both correct.

It was not actually from any episode...it was taken during a publicity shoot on the hardware store set. The photos were shot after the John Ritter episode, which was filmed on 8/14/86 and aired 9/27/86.

I remember Lucy having a blast during the shoot and doing anything to make the session easy, fun and asking the photographer did they get what they needed. This amazing woman at 75 was tired after doing the show and all, but she never really let on. The professional that she was...it was just part of the job.

The relationship that Lucy & Gale had was a marvel to watch; the mutual respect permeated the set.

A fun, little story as well: the hardware store had all kinds of signage around it...and if you look at the screen grab below from the Ritter episode, you can see the "Camping Supplies" sign in the background. Further below is a shot of the actual prop...all of these years later.

LWL_Ritter.jpg

CampingSupplies_Sign.jpg

THIEF! LOL! Seriously, great find! Couldn't get any of those 111 lawn mowers?

$(KGrHqJ,!n8E63WLnNfPBPBn!-52(Q~~60_3.JPG

Do we know who the man is or when this was?

I don't know that I've ever seen the sign behind the elephant about the other attraction "Prehistoric Women" (guest star: Florence Bates?)

These are all great. I love set photos. ILL and TLS (Danfield) succeeded in creating an authentic enough looking set that you tend to forget it's in a studio. I did like Lucy's Hollywood apartment, but the bank was a bit stark. Nertz to the African motif Unique Employment office. The Carter living room was OK, but they rarely used the area behind the couch that faced the audience.

Is that Wildcat director Michael Kidd on the left? Lucy rehearsing What Takes My Fancy, the second best number in the show Wildcat.

Yes, that's Kidd. Even in reviews that were poor/fair, critics noted what a rousing number WTMF was and gave high marks to Don Tomkins. ("For a moment he came within a hair, a thin RED hair, of overshadowing the star.")

Alas, until 'home movie' footage of the musical surfaces (which I feel some day it will) we can only imagine the choreography.

The "Wildcat" LP was one of those I mainly listened to side one--with four good ones "Hey Look" "wildcat" "Janie" and WTMF. ("Liar": so-so) Side 2 was fine and very listenable, but two of the big numbers were Lucy-less. "Wildcat" would have benefited from a traditional "11:00 number" for its star.

Do we know who the man is or when this was?

I don't know that I've ever seen the sign behind the elephant about the other attraction "Prehistoric Women" (guest star: Florence Bates?)

These are all great. I love set photos. ILL and TLS (Danfield) succeeded in creating an authentic enough looking set that you tend to forget it's in a studio. I did like Lucy's Hollywood apartment, but the bank was a bit stark. Nertz to the African motif Unique Employment office. The Carter living room was OK, but they rarely used the area behind the couch that faced the audience.

Maybe one of her students in the Desilu workshop playhouse?

Yes, just amazing how they made us think we were in this whole different world, especially in the European shows. I loved her apartment also but the bank, well, that's the way most of them really looked back then, all stark and cold.

1962 or 1963...Lucy at her most glamorous. I think this is the same show where they did the sketch about the Lady DA and showed Critics Choice outtakes. (unless she did two Hope shows that season). I've never seen this number with Juliet and Bing. Does anyone know what they're singing?

Ball, Bing, Bob, and Juliet Prowse:

$(KGrHqJ,!osE63YPzdvHBPCq0y(6MQ~~60_3.JPG

1962 or 1963...Lucy at her most glamorous. I think this is the same show where they did the sketch about the Lady DA and showed Critics Choice outtakes. (unless she did two Hope shows that season). I've never seen this number with Juliet and Bing. Does anyone know what they're singing?

Thanks for the Memories, of course. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...