Behind-the-Scenes Gallery

The movement in the dress really worked for the dancing they did.  This was such a great episode it didn't need any of the physical comedy bits.  The scene at the end in the kitchen is a little on the 80s sappy sitcom side but it's still really touching and when we see those types of moments in the show it's hard not to think where she is going to bring that emotion up.

• Like 1

The movement in the dress really worked for the dancing they did.  This was such a great episode it didn't need any of the physical comedy bits.  The scene at the end in the kitchen is a little on the 80s sappy sitcom side but it's still really touching and when we see those types of moments in the show it's hard not to think where she is going to bring that emotion up.

Dunno how you can say this one's better than the Audrey Meadows wedding one though.

Dunno how you can say this one's better than the Audrey Meadows wedding one though.

For the Lucy type of comedy to work, the audience cannot see any obvious set ups.  One slip and the whole bit is ruined.  The suds filling the store is actually classic Lucy, but when they cut to a wide shot and we see an additional blower, we know it's all fake.   Ditto with "2 By 4"and the hole in the floor bit.   As I recall, the set up scene with the workers was too obvious.  Part of the fault was the actors.  A generation previous, this dialogue would have been tossed off with ease by Sid Melton and Cliff Norton.   The slow descent into the hole wasn't realistic at all.   Life with Lucy was full of flaws like this.  I've said this before but IMO the episodes done after the premiere (and the horrible reviews) were all fair to good, so it would seem they had listened. Had the show not had such a high profile premiere, it might have eventually found its groove.

I'm not a fan of "2 By 4s".  Everyone picks "Mother of Bride" as the best, but I like "Legal Eagle" with Lucy acting all lawyer-y.  When she accidentally snaps herself with the suspenders, it gave me my only LWL-LOL moment.

I'm not pro-DVD release of the series because all the negativity would be rehashed.  The only thing a release would give us is a lot of bonus material.  By this time, they were saving things they used to throw away.

• Like 1

For the Lucy type of comedy to work, the audience cannot see any obvious set ups.  One slip and the whole bit is ruined.  The suds filling the store is actually classic Lucy, but when they cut to a wide shot and we see an additional blower, we know it's all fake.   Ditto with "2 By 4"and the hole in the floor bit.   As I recall, the set up scene with the workers was too obvious.  Part of the fault was the actors.  A generation previous, this dialogue would have been tossed off with ease by Sid Melton and Cliff Norton.   The slow descent into the hole wasn't realistic at all.   Life with Lucy was full of flaws like this.  I've said this before but IMO the episodes done after the premiere (and the horrible reviews) were all fair to good, so it would seem they had listened. Had the show not had such a high profile premiere, it might have eventually found its groove.

I'm not a fan of "2 By 4s".  Everyone picks "Mother of Bride" as the best, but I like "Legal Eagle" with Lucy acting all lawyer-y.  When she accidentally snaps herself with the suspenders, it gave me my only LWL-LOL moment.

I'm not pro-DVD release of the series because all the negativity would be rehashed.  The only thing a release would give us is a lot of bonus material.  By this time, they were saving things they used to throw away.

DITTO!  You've done it again, perfect POST!

You're absolutely right and not be cruel, but I could take it a step further and say that in these two episodes as examples, Lucy's timing just wasn't what it used to be either:  as I recall --depending on the angle shown in the final edit/show's broadcast -- you can actually see Lucy pulling (by grabbing his hand) Gale back into frame so that as the foam fills the store they're together in the shot!!  And you're right, from what I recall, that "extra" blower on the floor "gushed" foam BEFORE the one Lucy "activated" by hitting the button!  (Also, from the audience perspective -- can't recall whether it shows on camera or not -- you could see how they'd taped all around the edges of the set (along the walls, doorway, etc.) ostensibly so the foam wouldn't "leak" out! Talk about a giveaway!

In 2 by 4 you can also see Lucy "lead" Graves when they're dancing over their mark aka the "right" spot they needed to be on in order to descend down the "hole" safely and so the bit would work, which sadly just made it end up looking "forced"/rehearsed.

Still....one of the more enjoyable episodes IMHO. :peachonthebeach:

You're absolutely right and not be cruel, but I could take it a step further and say that in these two episodes as examples, Lucy's timing just wasn't what it used to be either:  as I recall --depending on the angle shown in the final edit/show's broadcast -- you can actually see Lucy pulling (by grabbing his hand) Gale back into frame so that as the foam fills the store they're together in the shot!!  And you're right, from what I recall, that "extra" blower on the floor "gushed" foam BEFORE the one Lucy "activated" by hitting the button!  (Also, from the audience perspective -- can't recall whether it shows on camera or not -- you could see how they'd taped all around the edges of the set (along the walls, doorway, etc.) ostensibly so the foam wouldn't "leak" out! Talk about a giveaway!

In 2 by 4 you can also see Lucy "lead" Graves when they're dancing over their mark aka the "right" spot they needed to be on in order to descend down the "hole" safely and so the bit would work, which sadly just made it end up looking "forced"/rehearsed.

Still....one of the more enjoyable episodes IMHO. :peachonthebeach:

Yes, unfortunately, Lucy's delivery sometimes reminded me of Bill Frawley's on I Love Lucy, stilted and not very natural, so it MUST be an age thing.