TLS Season 5 -- Reviews and First Impressions!

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watched LIL for the first time. Loved all the costumes, especially the Anne Boleyn (sp) one. She just looked so dang purty. :lucythrill:

Yes, it was so different from anything else she had ever done before, everything about this special was top notch and it should have swept up at The Emmys that year. Don't forget this was originally envisioned as the start of a series of specials set in various cities around the world. When Paris showed little interest, (THE FRENCH ARE NOTORIOUS FOR LIKING ONLY HOMEGROWN CRAP), they set their sights on many other cities, my own, Montreal, known the world over tas the Paris of North America, was also in the running. BUT, due to the reaction ratingswise and criticswise, Lucy never attempted the others.

Got mine today. Placed a rush order with Amazon yesterday. My slipcase fell off the case during shipment and got bent, but I SUPPOSE I can live with it (mutters grumpily while filing Amazon claim -_- )

It's a beautiful presentation overall. Some truly great production notes (my favourite addition to each set), wonderful photos, and great clips. I've seen the Victor Borge and Savings Bond segments on the "Lucy's Lost Moments" compilation, but they're welcome inclusions here nonetheless. And seeing the lost original opening sequence edited back in to the 10 episodes initially prepped with it is a nice treat.

Lucy in London, of course, is the stellar addition to this set. It's wonderful they took the time to include it, and make a fantastic little documentary talking about it. No one can call this special "forgotten" or "lost" anymore, now the whole world can see it. It may be flawed, but it's unique among the Lucy canon and an important piece of television history. Plus, given she plays Lucy Carmichael in it, a highly appropriate inclusion!

The only unfortunate gaffe (but highly forgiveable) are the edits to the Pat Collins episode. It's thankfully very minor: her brief scene walking out onto the stage was completely cut, resulting in a barely noticeable jump cut. The second one, however, is glaring: additional music was dubbed over the jazzy rendition of "That's All" that she did while the participants danced their way back to their seats. Some of her dialogue thanking them was dubbed over a closeup of her singing, which is quite obvious. But overall it's not nearly as bad as it could've been. And as I said before, we can all refer to the public domain copy if we want the complete experience.

I do wonder, though...if CBS could present Edie Adams singing that song on the "Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour" DVD, why couldn't they do the same for Pat singing the same song??? Obviously some legal technicalities in there I'll never figure out, LOL!

But a great set overall. Not to sound greedy, but my appetite is well whet for season 6, which contains the only episodes left in the series I have yet to see for the first time.

Would I sound like a complete idiot if I said that I feel the teal and purple color scheme is more appropriate for season 6 than season 5? I know it sounds weird, but it just seems to me that pink and yellow would've been a better combination for this set. Odd numbers should have warm colors, even numbers should have cool colors.

Just my anal OCD speaking out :P

Would I sound like a complete idiot if I said that I feel the teal and purple color scheme is more appropriate for season 6 than season 5? I know it sounds weird, but it just seems to me that pink and yellow would've been a better combination for this set. Odd numbers should have warm colors, even numbers should have cool colors.

Just my anal OCD speaking out :P

LOL! OMG, the colors too get dissected? LOL! Please, nothing that clashes with her natural RED hair. You know, the natural Orange red hair?

Season 1: Red and Blue

Season 2: Purple and Periwinkle

Season 3: Orange and Aqua

Season 4: Blue and Pink

Season 5: Light Purple and Teal

1 and 3 both had warm shell covers, while seasons 2 and 4 had cool ones. Season 5 broke the pattern by using light purple. They already used a shade of purple for season 2, they should've gone some other direction.

Just saying :) :) :)

Season 1: Red and Blue

Season 2: Purple and Periwinkle

Season 3: Orange and Aqua

Season 4: Blue and Pink

Season 5: Light Purple and Teal

1 and 3 both had warm shell covers, while seasons 2 and 4 had cool ones. Season 5 broke the pattern by using light purple. They already used a shade of purple for season 2, they should've gone some other direction.

Just saying :) :) :)

Ok, how do you feel about the lettering used? LOL! I'm praying for SCRIPT for season six.

"Submarine" is pretty darn funny....the script has enough going for it that it makes for above-average Lucy...and Gale is great as always, but this is one of his standouts. I don't recognize writers Richard Bensfield or Perry Grant as authors of any other episodes..Is this there only one?

Impressive authentic-looking set, too.

I'm (just) a LITTLE uncomfortable with Lucy being ogled at by a sailor, but she's nice looking enough, and he's long enough in the tooth that it ALMOST works.

She's been in the Army (sort of: "Jerry in Military School") the WAVES and in this season the navy and the marines. Gee! Maybe Bob Hope should do a Christmas show just for her!

Lucy seems to be plagued with actual laryngitis for a lot of this season. It's actually kind of cute.

Do you know that the commander Robert Carson is the brother of Jack Carson? I didn't until recently.

It's here!! :HALKING: :HALKING: :HALKING: :HALKING:

Ya know, if something other than Lucy's head flew out of the jack in the box -- maybe her face in another circle -- the opening wouldn't be half bad. And I love the souped up version on the beginning of the disks. Just started Lucy In London. "I can't get over how clear the picture is!" Now you can actually SEE the great Frank Thornton at the beginning instead of just hearing him. :HALKING:

I think whoever created the Jack-in-the-Box opening, was on acid!!! :lucydaze:

"Submarine" is pretty darn funny....the script has enough going for it that it makes for above-average Lucy...and Gale is great as always, but this is one of his standouts. I don't recognize writers Richard Bensfield or Perry Grant as authors of any other episodes..Is this there only one?

Impressive authentic-looking set, too.

I'm (just) a LITTLE uncomfortable with Lucy being ogled at by a sailor, but she's nice looking enough, and he's long enough in the tooth that it ALMOST works.

She's been in the Army (sort of: "Jerry in Military School") the WAVES and in this season the navy and the marines. Gee! Maybe Bob Hope should do a Christmas show just for her!

Lucy seems to be plagued with actual laryngitis for a lot of this season. It's actually kind of cute.

Do you know that the commander Robert Carson is the brother of Jack Carson? I didn't until recently.

I never knew Robert S. Carson was Jack Carson's brother. They are another two siblings Lucy worked with. I've never been two crazy about "Lucy and the Submarine," but it's quite the step up over Tammy Grimes' same plotline from the same time. This was the only episode written by Bensfield and Grant.

Am looking forward to watching my set on Xmas day, and Lucy in London will be a premiere for me as I have never seen anything from it before.

for those who have seen this special, does she really play it like Lucy Carmichael, or is it more like a fictional Lucille Ball (a la LUCY MOVES TO NBC)

Am looking forward to watching my set on Xmas day, and Lucy in London will be a premiere for me as I have never seen anything from it before.

for those who have seen this special, does she really play it like Lucy Carmichael, or is it more like a fictional Lucille Ball (a la LUCY MOVES TO NBC)

I think a more subdued Lucy Carmichael, say on Valium maybe.

Archived