TLS Season 5 -- Reviews and First Impressions!

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am looking forward to watching my set on Xmas day, and Lucy in London will be a premiere for me as I have never seen anything from it before.

for those who have seen this special, does she really play it like Lucy Carmichael, or is it more like a fictional Lucille Ball (a la LUCY MOVES TO NBC)

How anyone can wait that long knowing it's finally out -- especially if you've already got it in your hot little hands!! -- is beyond me!! Why wait???! ;)

It should have never been approved, that's for sure.

I kinda like it! It's no match for the classic "kaleidoscope" opening but it's cool, IMHO. And of course they'd restore it -- in full color, natch -- and re-insert it into those appropriate episodes in which it originally aired! :D

We're so lucky in that respect to be able to see these again as closely possible wherever possible to their original broadcast versions.

Just goes to show how "careless" for lack of a better word they were chopped up back when for syndication.

Ugh! lucydisgust.JPG

I never knew Robert S. Carson was Jack Carson's brother. They are another two siblings Lucy worked with. I've never been two crazy about "Lucy and the Submarine," but it's quite the step up over Tammy Grimes' same plotline from the same time. This was the only episode written by Bensfield and Grant.

Funny you mention "The Tammy Grimes Show". Variety reviewed that ep of TTGS and commented that if the TTGS people wanted to know how it should be done, they should watch the execution of the same plot on TLS!

I suppose it's too late to mount a "Save 'The Tammy Grimes Show'" campaign.

Or that we could get the entire season on DVD. There must have been more than the 4 that they aired.

Maybe a 2-show set couple with "The Jean Arthur Show" from that same season. At least Jean lasted 13 eps.

Other high profile 'comeback' failures of that season "The Milton Berle Show" and "The Garry Moore Show". Garry, who appears with Lucy in the affiliates sketch promoting the 1966 fall schedule, was making his return to TV variety after 2 seasons off the air. He had the misfortune of being scheduled opposite the #1 show on the air, for the third straight year, "Bonanza". By January, Garry was gone and CBS with a whaddawegottolose philosophy, let the Smothers Brothers have a go at the time slot.

Garry never returned to TV and his very busy career was virtually over at age 50. However he had a long term contract with CBS that continued after the series so he was paid...but bored. At one time he had a daily TV show in the morning, a daily radio show, hosting chores for "I've Got a Secret" and a weekly primetime variety show!

Similarly, NBC was so taken by Milton Berle's early success that they gave him a 30 year contract in 1951, guaranteeing him an annual salary until he was 73. By 1960 they were using him as the host of "Jackpot Bowling (starring Milton Berle)". I've seen an episode and it's exactly what it sounds like. Milton hosted at a bowling alley, did a few minutes of standup comedy before a restless crowd who was there for the main event: the bowling competition. You have to give credit to Milton because his enthusiastic delivery is not daunted by the humiliating venue. When Milton was approach by ABC to return to TV variety in 1966, he negotiated with NBC for a lesser salary in return for being able to appear on another network. You'd think NBC would have used the opportunity to get out of it completely.

Funny you mention "The Tammy Grimes Show". Variety reviewed that ep of TTGS and commented that if the TTGS people wanted to know how it should be done, they should watch the execution of the same plot on TLS!

I suppose it's too late to mount a "Save 'The Tammy Grimes Show'" campaign.

Or that we could get the entire season on DVD. There must have been more than the 4 that they aired.

Maybe a 2-show set couple with "The Jean Arthur Show" from that same season. At least Jean lasted 13 eps.

Other high profile 'comeback' failures of that season "The Milton Berle Show" and "The Garry Moore Show". Garry, who appears with Lucy in the affiliates sketch promoting the 1966 fall schedule, was making his return to TV variety after 2 seasons off the air. He had the misfortune of being scheduled opposite the #1 show on the air, for the third straight year, "Bonanza". By January, Garry was gone and CBS with a whaddawegottolose philosophy, let the Smothers Brothers have a go at the time slot.

Garry never returned to TV and his very busy career was virtually over at age 50. However he had a long term contract with CBS that continued after the series so he was paid...but bored. At one time he had a daily TV show in the morning, a daily radio show, hosting chores for "I've Got a Secret" and a weekly primetime variety show!

Similarly, NBC was so taken by Milton Berle's early success that they gave him a 30 year contract in 1951, guaranteeing him an annual salary until he was 73. By 1960 they were using him as the host of "Jackpot Bowling (starring Milton Berle)". I've seen an episode and it's exactly what it sounds like. Milton hosted at a bowling alley, did a few minutes of standup comedy before a restless crowd who was there for the main event: the bowling competition. You have to give credit to Milton because his enthusiastic delivery is not daunted by the humiliating venue. When Milton was approach by ABC to return to TV variety in 1966, he negotiated with NBC for a lesser salary in return for being able to appear on another network. You'd think NBC would have used the opportunity to get out of it completely.

There were more than four Tammy Grimes shows actually produced. It may have been as many as 13 shows. That made it all the more shocking that the network yanked it from the schedule after airing only four episodes. After CBS cancelled the original Garry Moore Show, Garry was so angry at CBS that he left I've Got A Secret (which was still in the top 15) and his popular radio show. Garry and his wife took a trip around the world. Let's Talk to Lucy replaced the radio show.

"Lucy the babysitter" is the laziest scripting of any episode to date. It does have Mary Wickes, Elvia Allman and Jonathan Hole and of course the first intro to the Unique Employment Agency and slogan. There doesn't seem to be a script once we get to the babysitting scene, but two of those chimps ARE awfully cute. But not that older one who looks like either grown-up Clint Howard or old John Carradine. These chimps are obviously not intimidated by Lucille Ball!

By the way, these "Winslows": don't they have an older son who's built like a gorilla: FRANK?

This is the most simian-saturated season. Within a 5 episode span, we're given a gorilla and 4 chimps.

ANOTHER impressive extra is the War Bond documentary. What a treat to see the real Lucille Ball from this era and from the Carmichael apartment.

And not to cast any aspersions, but anyone who:

a-- is not on their knees, hozanna-ing in the direction of Dual Crown Productions Sherman Oaks-Hollywood office for the effort they put in for US, whining, cajoling and wheedling a reluctant CBS to spring for all of this (and no, the fact that these are in public domain did not make the episodes any cheaper to transfer)

b-- needs to be warned the an undetectable few seconds of insignificant footage from a throw-away scene of a so-so episode are cut; or

c-- makes the decision not to purchase this wonderful set based on that warning

is, in my opinion, not fit to touch the hem of Jonas Prohaska's monkey fur jacket!

"Lucy the babysitter" is the laziest scripting of any episode to date. It does have Mary Wickes, Elvia Allman and Jonathan Hole and of course the first intro to the Unique Employment Agency and slogan. There doesn't seem to be a script once we get to the babysitting scene, but two of those chimps ARE awfully cute. But not that older one who looks like either grown-up Clint Howard or old John Carradine. These chimps are obviously not intimidated by Lucille Ball!

By the way, these "Winslows": don't they have an older son who's built like a gorilla: FRANK?

This is the most simian-saturated season. Within a 5 episode span, we're given a gorilla and 4 chimps.

ANOTHER impressive extra is the War Bond documentary. What a treat to see the real Lucille Ball from this era and from the Carmichael apartment.

And not to cast any aspersions, but anyone who:

a-- is not on their knees, hozanna-ing in the direction of Dual Crown Productions Sherman Oaks-Hollywood office for the effort they put in for US, whining, cajoling and wheedling a reluctant CBS to spring for all of this (and no, the fact that these are in public domain did not make the episodes any cheaper to transfer)

b-- needs to be warned the an undetectable few seconds of insignificant footage from a throw-away scene of a so-so episode are cut; or

c-- makes the decision not to purchase this wonderful set based on that warning

is, in my opinion, not fit to touch the hem of Jonas Prohaska's monkey fur jacket!

Before i die, i hope to spend some time with you and Harry and talk shop, you guys and Brock also are just a wealth of knowledge.

I would've liked to have seen more outtakes/bloopers and behind-the-scenes stuff or rehearsal footage from the show myself. Too bad that the LIL outtakes didn't have any sound with them.

Gary said sound just cost too much, LOL! He offered his service in doing all the sound effects though, for a fee.

Gary said sound just cost too much, LOL! He offered his service in doing all the sound effects though, for a fee.

Oh boy...speaking of Gary sound effects, what was up with that laugh of his? I hear it quite often on TLS and HL shows. That was probably the sound he made in bed too. HA HAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAA! :lucydisgust:

So I just bought TLS from Amoeba today, they hocked it to 35.00 and might I say it was underpriced!

I'm on Lucy Flies To London- and of course then on to LIL and then the documentary.

I WAS SO SURPRISED OF THE SUPERB TREATMENT OF THESE SHOWS.

ITS A BRAND NEW EXPERIENCE WATCHING THESE SHOWS ON DVD!!

I don't know how many times I've watched these episodes and yet seeing them

for the first time with all of it's splendor and newness is like watching them for the Very first time!! no kiddin

These shows make my TV look way more expensive than it costs lol In other words, The image and the colors are AMAZING!!

These colors POP and the image is like HD or something lol Seriously, it's that great. You look like your right there in the studio

rather than watching the old "kinescope" domain copies we're use to seeing.

The yellow intro is odd but I like it lol It looked like a concept that shouldn't have made it that far lol

I like the three portrait shots of Lucy and then the GORGEOUS highlighter- bkue/pea colored close up at the end.

It gives a real authentic quality to this season, rather than seeing them in the old raggedy intros we've been use to seeing them

-Here we see them the way Desilu first intended to have for the show (even if it was for one or two episodes before reverting back to the older intro-or so it's told) lol

Im sure everything else "extra's" wise is great!! I'll come back and talk about those later

This is worth getting hands down! It holds a genuine quality that fits within the other seasons but the bells and whistles shine bright and makes this

DVD season IMO thee "Special Season" 10/5 rating A++

Oh boy...speaking of Gary sound effects, what was up with that laugh of his? I hear it quite often on TLS and HL shows. That was probably the sound he made in bed too. HA HAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAA! :lucydisgust:

No, i think it was she who laughed hard at him in bed. He used to wear that nose mustache and glasses thing on hiw wee wee.

So I just bought TLS from Amoeba today, they hocked it to 35.00 and might I say it was underpriced!

I'm on Lucy Flies To London- and of course then on to LIL and then the documentary.

I WAS SO SUP[RISED OF THE SUPERB TREATMENT OF THESE SHOWS.

ITS A BRAND NEW EXPERIENCE WATCHING THESE SHOWS ON DVD!!

I don't know how many times I've watched these episodes and yet seeing them

for the first time with all of it's splendor and newness is like watching them for the Very first time!! no kiddin

These shows make my TV look way more expensive than it cost lol In other words, The image and the colors are AMAZING!!

These colors POP and the image is like HD or something lol Seriously, it's that great. You look like your right there in the studio

rather than watching the old "kinescope" domain copies we're use to seeing.

The yellow intro is odd but I like it lol It looked like a concept that shouldn't have made it that far lol

I like the three portrait shots of Lucy and then the GORGEOUS highlighter- purple/pea colored close up at the end.

It gives a real authentic quality to this season, rather than seeing them in the old raggedy intros we've been use to seeing them

-Here we see them the way Desilu first intended to have for the show (even if it was for one or two episodes before reverting back to the older intro-or so it's told) lol

Im sure everything else "extra's" wise is great!! I'll come back and talk about those later

This is worth getting hands down! It holds a genuine quality that fits within the other seasons but the bells and whistles shine bright and makes this

DVD season IMO thee "Special Season" 10/5 rating A++

Very well said and right on the money.

So if they had sound on the "Lucy At Marineland" bloopers/behind the scenes which was a year before, why couldn't they have it a year later? It's like having CD players in the newer models of cars, but an 8 track player on next year's model.

The Lucy in London outtakes were saved (without sound) to be used as stock footage for other productions. If another show needed a quick shot of a London street, they could use one of the Lucy in London outtakes.

Amazon is aggravating the hell out of me. I placed an order on thursday and they didn't even shipped it till Saturday, even though i get free two-day shipping as a PRIME member. Now it won't get here to tuesday.

I'm all for being patience, but if they were gonna pull this stunt, i could have just went to target bought it, even though i would have had to pay tax.

Amazon is aggravating the hell out of me. I placed an order on thursday and they didn't even shipped it till Saturday, event though i get free two-day shipping as a PRIME member. Now it won't get here to tuesday.

I'm all for being patience, but if they were gonna pull this stunt, i could have just went to target bought, even though i would have had to pay tax.

Hmm, that's where I got mine from and they shipped it on time. I had same-day delivery though.

Yeah, i normally always have a good experience with them, as i've always ordered my lucy DVD's through them in the past. I guess this was just a hiccup moment.

Well, SCARE them with a nasty complaint letter to get the HICCUPS out of their usually excellent delivery service. Boyfriend confirmed today again that he did get delivery from them for my copy right on time, release day.

Archived