TLS Season 5 -- Reviews and First Impressions!

Well, SCARE them with a nasty complaint letter to get the HICCUPS out of their usually excellent delivery service. Boyfriend confirmed today again that he did get delivery from them for my copy right on time, release day.

Maybe i should have Your Boyfriend deliver HL Season 5, To me, personally.. Although, i will be wanting more than just the package :lucythrill::peachonthebeach:

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe i should have Your Boyfriend deliver HL Season 5, To me, personally.. Although, i will be wanting more than just the package :lucythrill::peachonthebeach:

Honey, you are better off without him. Every single delivery has been marred by him getting it LATE or as he's in another city i would lose patience in him getting it to me and buy it here when i finally found it on store shelves, same thing happened to many a Lucy book. AND LET'S LEAVE HIS "package" OUT OF THIS, SHALL WE? LOL!

I showed two friends who are unfamiliar with TLS the "Lucy Flies to London" episode.

This is really an "A" episode, perhaps the best of the season. It's hilarious and completely plausible. Nothing really ridiculous happens (gorillas, smoke and sparks coming out of something for no reason). It's also Lucy at her absolute best. The camera is on her the entire airplane scene and she makes everything she does engaging and hilarious.

I actually think this is an improvement on the original Victor Borge theater sketch.

It's not unusual for someone of this generation to have never flown. My father was 65 before he took his first flight, although with less hilarious results.

Does anyone have a favorite episode of season 5? My other two favorites (so far, haven't watched them all yet) are "Substitute Secretary" and "John Wayne".

I showed two friends who are unfamiliar with TLS the "Lucy Flies to London" episode.

This is really an "A" episode, perhaps the best of the season. It's hilarious and completely plausible. Nothing really ridiculous happens (gorillas, smoke and sparks coming out of something for no reason). It's also Lucy at her absolute best. The camera is on her the entire airplane scene and she makes everything she does engaging and hilarious.

I actually think this is an improvement on the original Victor Borge theater sketch.

It's not unusual for someone of this generation to have never flown. My father was 65 before he took his first flight, although with less hilarious results.

Does anyone have a favorite episode of season 5? My other two favorites (so far, haven't watched them all yet) are "Substitute Secretary" and "John Wayne".

I think a lot of credit for this being a superior 5th season episode should go to original scribes Bob & Madelyn, as the entire "first time on a plane" Act II is practically lifted verbatim from the Victor Borge "sketch" they wrote and Mr. Arnaz directed -- no slight intended to Mr. O' Brien who "fleshed out" the script to a full length episode but credit should go where it's due, IMHO.

O'Brien also wrote two of my other personal favorites of the season -- which couldn't be more different -- the Ruta Lee "Substitute Secretary" ep and the "Main Street" episodes, which now am enjoying more for the original music and production numbers than for the episodes in their entirety as they suffer (again, IMHO) from being just a bit maudlin (actually, I'm trying not to use the word "corny" but I guess that's what I really mean and can't think of another word that says it as well!).

I really like Lucy Meets Sheldon Leonard, because Mary Jane is finally Lucy's full-fledged accomplice in one of her schemes. Lucy just pulled her in like she used to do with Viv. Mary Jane was hilarious in this episode and its unusual for her to get in trouble along with Lucy.

Yes, Wayne was very good but Lucy flying to London was my favorite also, everything you said about it rings true!

I never liked the John Wayne eps on any Lucy show either. I think it's John Wayne. Just never been hugely interested in him. I liked "Lucy Meets Sheldon Leonard" and "Lucy Goes To London."

I love the John Wayne I Love Lucy episodes, just can't stomach the one on The Lucy Show. And I know it's not him. It's me. Haha. :lucythrill:

I never liked the John Wayne eps on any Lucy show either. I think it's John Wayne. Just never been hugely interested in him. I liked "Lucy Meets Sheldon Leonard" and "Lucy Goes To London."

I despised the war monger who mostly made westerns which i hated but i liked the shows he did with Lucy and later on when i found out he was this HUGE Lucy fan, well, then i liked him.

I don't mind John Wayne in these sort of comedies, I recall him doing a walk on in a Beverly Hillbillies episode as he was a big fan of the show. And he loved to spoof himself in various TV comedy specials.

Oh yeah, i remember that walk on at the end, Granny's been fighting Indians and he shows up at the end and she sits in her rocking chair and says JOHN, WHERE WERE YOU WHEN I NEEDED YOU? LOL! Or words to that effect!

Oh yeah, i remember that walk on at the end, Granny's been fighting Indians and he shows up at the end and she sits in her rocking chair and says JOHN, WHERE WERE YOU WHEN I NEEDED YOU? LOL! Or words to that effect!

That's right. Though continuity wise that series was way out throughout its run (Granny only really knew silent movie stars like Tom Mix)

That's right. Though continuity wise that series was way out throughout its run (Granny only really knew silent movie stars like Tom Mix)

Well, yeah, the movie theather back home only played silents, with Bea Benederet`s character accompanying on the piano. I loved the line where Jed says they couldn`t see this actor because, DON`T YOU REMEMBER GRANNY, HE DIED AT THE END OF THAT PICTURE! LOL!

Ok, so far i got through disk one. But rather than talk about the episodes, i rather focus on the special features and the package, itself.

Jack In The Box Opening: i have to say that after seeing it in full color and restored, i absolutely LOVE IT. The glamor shot at the end is BLISS. Smart decision on the DVD producers part to keep the opening attached to the episodes in was originally intended for.

1966 Affiliates Presentation Clip - The skit, itself, was nothing special. But it's very much appreciated that it was included. And the quality of the print looks amazing.

The Victor Borge Comedy Theater - Doesn't beat the Lucy files to London version, but how refreshing to see 60's Lucy in GLORIOUS black-and-White, again. The flight attendant in this one was very pretty, but SO DULL. And Gale Gordon with a decent amount of hair on his head? Priceless. AGAIN, the print looks amazing.

"Smile Pretty" - love this kind of stuff. Lucy looks so warm and engaging here. Like their wasn't a stern bone in her body...we know better, of course.

Restoration of Episodes - One word, FABULOUS! I hear all this talk of wanting colorized episodes of ILL. BLASPHEMY! What we really need to be screaming for is Lucy in HD. The quality of these 35MM prints is literally mouth-watering. Hoping for a Blu-ray announcement of ILL, once these sets are finished. Come on, CBS. You've already done all the work. Take all my money. Just give me more Lucy.

Now i'm off to watch the infamous LIL, which i will post a review for in the other topic, along with the Special features that cater to the special. I've already taken a look at some of them and they are OVERKILL. The DVD menu design, alone, is Brilliant.

Restoration of Episodes - One word, FABULOUS! I hear all this talk of wanting colorized episodes of ILL. BLASPHEMY! What we really need to be screaming for is Lucy in HD. The quality of these 35MM prints is literally mouth-watering. Hoping for a Blu-ray announcement of ILL, once these sets are finished. Come on, CBS. You've already done all the work. Take all my money. Just give me more Lucy.

Bless you, my child. Of course Cuddles will be apoplectic when he reads this! :marionstrong:

And I love your comment about CBS, "Take all my money. Just give me more Lucy." I KNOW, right??? ;)

When I think of all the dough I've spent over the years on ILL alone well, I (almost) get ill!! :D Tapes, laserdiscs, DVDs and next probably BluRay discs -- will it never end?? :HALKING:

Bless you, my child. Of course Cuddles will be apoplectic when he reads this! :marionstrong:

And I love your comment about CBS, "Take all my money. Just give me more Lucy." I KNOW, right??? ;)

When I think of all the dough I've spent over the years on ILL alone well, I (almost) get ill!! :D Tapes, laserdiscs, DVDs and next probably BluRay discs -- will it never end?? :HALKING:

SHEESH! No friggin comment! I just love watching a lady famous for her RED hair and gorgeous BLUE eyes in black and white, like they used to have in the olden days of yore.

Maybe you two should petition CBS to rerelease the entire series in black and white?

SHEESH! No friggin comment! I just love watching a lday famous for her RED hair and gorgeous BLUE eyes in black and white, like they used to have in the olden days of yore.

LOL i think it added mystery and allure to her already fabulously looking face. While i do love watching Lucy in color, i absolutely despise the style of makeup she had throughout the TLS. :lucydisgust:

One thing i want to add. I also Don't get the dislike for the Pat Collins episode. I thoroughly enjoyed It. The john Wayne episode was the only dud I've found so far from watching season 5.

When I saw the Pat Collins episode a couple of years ago I didnt like it, or her (thought it was a man in drag at first). So the fact that this particular episode is edited doesnt bother me, but the idea of any episode being edited on DVD makes me mad. :o

Really? Then you should have said something, LOL!

Archived