What was the last episode you watched on "The Lucy And Desi Comedy Hour"?

A butcher is kinder to bulls than Hallmark is in editing the Lucy series. They cut a good line of Ethel in "The Celebrity Next door". Did you notice that they freezed-framed the film before going into commercial? I thought my cable was having technical problems.

I don't know why you'd want to knowingly watch them cut up this ways anyways! Watch the DVDs!!! :D

• Like 1

I don't know why you'd want to knowingly watch them cut up this ways anyways! Watch the DVDs!!! :D

I prefer watching these shows on DVDs rather than how they broadcast them today on television. It just feels good that a television station honors these shows on their channel. Also, it is the thrill of knowing that many viewers are watching these shows at the same time I am doing it.

• Like 1

I prefer watching these shows on DVDs rather than how they broadcast them today on television. It just feels good that a television station honors these shows on their channel. Also, it is the thrill of knowing that many viewers are watching these shows at the same time I am doing it.

Oh, I get that totally and still tune into them often whenever they're on -- several outlets if you have cable here in LA! -- but it usually soon becomes an unnecessary frustration as inevitably you wait for a favorite line or whatnot and it's been cut out! Sooooooooooo annoying and yet, just makes me appreciate that the DVDs exist and glad I've got 'em all! ;)

• Like 1

Well the 24 hour marathon of "The Lucy And Desi Comedy" have just ended less than a half an hour ago. Later this day, I am going to take out my DVDS later this day and really enjoy the shows with full unedited scenes and no commercials!!! :lucy1:

Watched at 5:00 this morning, the second time 'Berle' episode was shown; since, here, Hallmark went the full 24-hours; so, repeated up to Berle....

Watched at 5:00 this morning, the second time 'Berle' episode was shown; since, here, Hallmark went the full 24-hours; so, repeated up to Berle....

The marathon should have been 26 hours long with each episode getting a repeat. The regular scheduled Monday 6-8am airings of I Love Lucy should been cancelled for this We Love Lucy event. Afterall, it is STILL Lucy!

• Like 1

The marathon should have been 26 hours long with each episode getting a repeat. The regular scheduled Monday 6-8am airings of I Love Lucy should been cancelled for this We Love Lucy event. Afterall, it is STILL Lucy!

REGULAR I Love Lucy episodes started here in Western NY, Hallmark, at 6:00; last L-D Comedy Hour episode ended at that time, the Berle Hiding Out Episode..... exactly 24 hours long; I was surprised; since, I assumed yesterday, the marathon would be the 13 episodes, and that would be it; when they 're-started', I was surprised....

I think "Nick At Night" was the last time it was on cable. Did "TVLand" show them in the 2000's?

Yes, TV Land did. They originally ran the show on Saturday nights (beginning in January 2002) but eventually moved it to Sunday mornings (within their Better Living Through Television block) which lead them to dropping it altogether (in 2004).

http://www.freewebs.com/tvlandarchives/

• 4 weeks later...

Lucy Hunts Uranium - Vivian Vance is hilarious in the chase scenes.

Lucy Wins A Racehorse- The best part is the Lucy and the Mertzes hiding the horse from Ricky.

Lucy Goes To Alaska- Lucy's routine in the hammick, Freddie the Freeloader sketch, and helping Red landing the plane.

Lucy Wants A Career- Everything Lucy did in this show.

Lucy's Summer Vacation - Lucy and Ida Lupino scenes were stellar and the rummy game/ boat scene were the highlights. This one, is one of my favorites. Ida Lupino is terrific doing sitcoms.

I didn't see all the shows on Hallmark. But if I did, I still wouldn't have!!! ;)

• 3 years later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

How historically accurate are the hotel accommodation is "Lucy Goes to Japan"?  Circa 1959.

PAPER walls?  Beds consisting of mats on the floor?  No chairs/sitting on the floor?

Poor Bob Cummings had no idea that 1959 would be the peak of his career and it would be all downhill after.

His 50s "Bob Cummings Show" had just ended a 4-year run and enjoyed a long and well-circulated syndication life, including 2 full years as part of ABC's daytime lineup.   Emmy-nominated as Best Comedy for 3 of its 4 seasons.  Cummings got a nomination every year.  Its 4 1/2 year run had almost as many episodes as the 6 years of I Love Lucy. 

But his 1961 NEW Bob Cummings show failed to make it the entire season, and his one last regular series "My Living Doll" in 1964 had a set so fraught with unpleasantness (between him and Julie Newmar) that he quit before the show finished its one and only season. 

At least in those days, there was still summer stock and dinner theater for a former TV star with name recognition.

And Here's Lucy, of course: Bob did 2.  Then it was on to "The Love Boat". 

How historically accurate are the hotel accommodation is "Lucy Goes to Japan"?  Circa 1959.

PAPER walls?  Beds consisting of mats on the floor?  No chairs/sitting on the floor?

Poor Bob Cummings had no idea that 1959 would be the peak of his career and it would be all downhill after.

His 50s "Bob Cummings Show" had just ended a 4-year run and enjoyed a long and well-circulated syndication life, including 2 full years as part of ABC's daytime lineup.   Emmy-nominated as Best Comedy for 3 of its 4 seasons.  Cummings got a nomination every year.  Its 4 1/2 year run had almost as many episodes as the 6 years of I Love Lucy. 

But his 1961 NEW Bob Cummings show failed to make it the entire season, and his one last regular series "My Living Doll" in 1964 had a set so fraught with unpleasantness (between him and Julie Newmar) that he quit before the show finished its one and only season. 

At least in those days, there was still summer stock and dinner theater for a former TV star with name recognition.

And Here's Lucy, of course: Bob did 2.  Then it was on to "The Love Boat". 

I was in Japan in the early '90s.  I stayed in the home of a Japanese friend, not a hotel.  Yes, sitting on the floor was normal, but paper walls?  I don't know about that.  I don't remember any walls like that in the house.  My understanding of those walls is that, where they do exist, they are within the interior of a home.  I wouldn't think they would be used to separate hotel rooms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sh%C5%8Dji

As for Bob Cummings, I've tried to watch his show a few times, but I found it dull.  It surprises me it received any kind of Emmy recognition.

I was in Japan in the early '90s.  I stayed in the home of a Japanese friend, not a hotel.  Yes, sitting on the floor was normal, but paper walls?  I don't know about that.  I don't remember any walls like that in the house.  My understanding of those walls is that, where they do exist, they are within the interior of a home.  I wouldn't think they would be used to separate hotel rooms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shōji

As for Bob Cummings, I've tried to watch his show a few times, but I found it dull.  It surprises me it received any kind of Emmy recognition.

Perhaps there were (and are) some hotels in Japan that cater mainly to tourists by providing an old-fashioned, "traditional" Japanese experience, complete with paper walls. Or perhaps it's simply a sitcom contrivance, as I recall an episode of Cybill featuring a similar setup.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Years ago, I posted 4 minutes of "Celebrity Next Door" (Talu) on youtube and today I was notified that this was posted in the comments section.

He took the words right out of my mouth!!

なんとなくしか英語わからないのにめっちゃ面白い! please この番組について教えてください! グーグルで調べても出てこないのどうしてさ!

• Haha 1