Lucie Arnaz Goes Back to Her Latin Roots

HarryCarter

Here's an interview with Lucie promoting her show at Feinstein's.

Much of America grew up with Lucie Arnaz, having watched her blossom as an actress opposite her mother Lucille Ball on The Lucy Show and Here's Lucy. But Arnaz has since triumphed in a variety of mediums, most notably in the Broadway musical They're Playing Our Song and in the film The Jazz Singer, for which she received a Golden Globe nomination.

In recent years, she has become a popular nightclub performer, and on January 5, she brings her new show Latin Roots, based on the CD of the same name, to Feinstein's at Loews Regency for a four-night run. TheaterMania recently spoke to Arnaz about the show and her career.

THEATERMANIA: Are you looking forward to this gig?

LUCIE ARNAZ: I am very excited, since I haven't played there since 1999, before I left to go to London to do The Witches of Eastwick. Sometimes, I think it's difficult for me to play these ritzier rooms, because the people who come see me look for more affordable spots like Birdland. So I am really happy they agreed to discount the cover charge for this run.

TM: So how did this show -- and your CD -- come about?

? LA: After my dad [Desi Arnaz] died in 1986, I found this little cassette holder in his sock drawer and in small type on the cover, it said "Desi Arnaz and Orchestra recordings, December 9, 1947 - San Francisco." I thought wow, I had never heard these. So I got in my in car and put it on and just lost myself in this music. Of course, I had heard him sing on I Love Lucy and I had heard a few recordings, but there were no CDs available of this kind of big band stuff. And listening to this cassette sort of changed the direction of where I was going in my career. I knew I wanted to do these songs and these arrangements in front of a band. My father had some really good charts, especially some for girl singers. It just took a lot of time for everything to come together.

TM: I first heard these arrangements when you did the Babalu show at the 92nd Street Y in January 2010, which was an amazing experience. Tell me how that happened?

LA: I happened to be at the Y to do an Ira Gershwin show, and Deborah Grace Winer, who is the artistic director of Lyrics & Lyrcists, told me she loved my father's arrangements and suggested we put together a show about Latin music. And then I realized I had to do everything -- produce, direct, host, and write it. So the first thing I did was call my brother, Desi Arnaz, Jr. He doesn't love to travel, but he loves to play drums and he loves the music, so he jumped at the chance to recreate it.

TM: But the show wasn't just a family affair - you had Raul Esparza singing a lot of your dad's songs, and also the great Valarie Pettiford. Why them?

LA: Raul was at top of my wish list; he's so multi-talented, and like my dad, he's Cuban. But it took me three days to write him an email, since I didn't want to sound too goofy, and then I didn't hear right away, and I figured he wasn't interested. But then he called me and said he would be thrilled to do it. And I thought to have Valarie shake her booty and add her own Afro-Cuban jazz touch was perfect. It was heaven. We did the show again in Miami in July, 2010 -- let's say it was hot on many levels -- and then another concert in October, 2011 in honor of the 100th anniversary of my mother's birth, but that may be it. I would love to see it on Broadway, but we're not going there without Raul; there aren't that many people who can do these songs justice, and Desi won't come to New York for an extended run, so it just wouldn't be the same.

TM: So the Latin Roots show grew out of Babalu?

Yes, I am doing some of Dad's stuff myself. And while we don't have a big band like we did for Babalu, we have my musical director Ron Abel, and we also have some great percussionists so we can do as much of the CD as possible in that room.

TM: Your children are very talented. Did you think of recruiting them for this show?

LA: My son Simon is a drummer and he does play percussion on the road, and Joe is an amazing guitarist with his own CDs, but their music is different from this music. And my daughter Kate is a wonderful singer and she loves this stuff, but she just started working on the production side of Rosie O'Donnell's show and I don't want to distract her.

TM: So, is there any chance we'll get you back on Broadway in something other than Babalu?

LA: I always keep my ears open to what's going on in theater; I am on the board of the American Theater Wing. But doing this is great fun, and I feel like I can choose to have a career and have a life, and be at home at night with my husband [actor Laurence Luckinbill] and not do eight shows a week. But we'll see.

My link

Interesting to see that Kate is working on The Rosie Show! I wonder if we'll be seeing her on the Rosie Reality segments. I hope this means we'll get Lucie on the show soon. :D

A rave review about Lucie's Feinstein's opening from the New York Daily News!

Lucie Arnaz chased away Old Man Winter Thursday night at Feinstein’s at the packed premiere of her joyfully warm and superbly sung “Latin Roots.”

A swinging “I’ll See You in C-U-B-A” by Irving Berlin launched the show devoted to her dad, Desi Arnaz, and the south-of-the-border pop sounds the Santiago de Cuba-born bandleader made famous in nightclubs and on “I Love Lucy.”

“This is about my tropical roots,” said Arnaz, who showcased her lean and leggy figure in a short off-the-shoulder dress precisely the shade of a Pink Flamingo, as in the Cuban cocktail.

During the eclectic hour-plus set, Arnaz, whose varied career includes Broadway’s “They’re Playing Our song,” made like a mixologist, shaking up and stirring the moods and music.

“Jip Japa,” an obscure tune her father sang to her as a little girl, found her rolling Latin-style rrrrrr’s fast and furiously. She didn’t do “Babalu,” but she and her four-man band served a spicy “El Cumbanchero.”

On the standards “Lover,” “I Love to Dance” and “I Got Lost in His Arms,” Arnaz worked her lusty vibrato and her father’s lush arrangements, which she’d discovered after he died in 1986.

And in a sweet touch, Arnaz sent a bubbly “Blame It on the Bossa Nova” out as an air kiss to her husband of 32 years, actor Laurence Luckinbill, who was seated with their kids.

Fitting, since “Latin Roots,” which is based on her CD, is about family. And it was apparent that the spirit of mom Lucille Ball was in the house, too.

When Arnaz lost her way during her banter, she sent music director Ron Abel to fetch her notes. She filled the gap by joking, saying “Hi” to pals in the audience — Tommy Tune, Michele Lee, Hal Linden — and clowning with disarming charm. That’s part of her DNA, too.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music-arts/lucie-arnaz-daughter-tv-family-pays-tribute-dad-desi-arnaz-feinstein-congas-included-article-1.1001954#ixzz1iiHijUTd

My link

Another rave:

Every once in a while an audience is treated to a really special evening;

A performance that creates a lasting memory which stays with them forever. After attending those types of exceptional evenings, I usually find myself at the computer googling the bio. What’s the secret to the performer’s gift? For many years Lucie Arnaz has thrilled audiences, but her “Latin Roots” show at Feinstein’s at the Loews Regency is one that will permanently reside in my brain’s entertainment archives.

No need to google this time. The evening starts with an audio clip of Lucie’s father Desi introducing baby Lucie years ago. Then, as you are digesting that touching moment, music director Ron Abel gives the down beat and “Latin Roots” unfolds in all its exciting sounds and rhythms. If the room wasn’t so packed, I think a Conga line would have started snaking through the hotel, as this beautiful creation of Desilu Productions so expertly interpreted the intoxicating and pulsating Latin music of her father. Lucie’s song list went from “You and the Night and the Music” to “El Cumbanchero” – never missing just the right beat. This show generated lots of heat in Feinstein’s, but everyone got goose bumps as Ms. Arnaz ended with “Leader of the Band,” holding Desi’s straw hat high.

Time Square Chronicles

• 1 month later...

Kate Luckinbill finally appeared in a behind the scenes segment on The Rosie Show on Friday's episode with Audra McDonald and Norm Lewis. Kate and Rosie were discussing Kate watching Rosie's dogs. It was only about a minute long, but it will be repeated on Monday at 9am on OWN if anyone wants to watch.

Kate Luckinbill finally appeared in a behind the scenes segment on The Rosie Show on Friday's episode with Audra McDonald and Norm Lewis. Kate and Rosie were discussing Kate watching Rosie's dogs. It was only about a minute long, but it will be repeated on Monday at 9am on OWN if anyone wants to watch.

Great! Thanks.

And....THIS IS HOW ones gets 'sperience???? Dog sitting? Of course, the FOOT IS IN THE DOOR... isn't it?

They probably don't want to show Kate any favoritism either. Just treat her like anyone else, not like "Hollywood royalty."

I certainly meant no disrespect to Katharine; you'd think the way 'others' have gained fame; on their backs; okay, on their fronts; waitressing; waitering; car parking; and ALL the other ways of getting recognized, this probably is a safe thing for her; however, with her lineage, you'd think she would be taken under someone's wing and push her forward to what she obviously wants: a job in the film and/or stage industry.

Is it remotely possible that Rosie doesn't know anything of her "Lucy lineage" and only knows her as Kate, the intern or whatever she is? Rosie's friendly enough (as these backstage glimpses illustrate) to chat up anybody she thinks interesting but that doesn't necessarily mean she knows the kid's last name! Now I'm curious! lucythrill.JPG

Is it remotely possible that Rosie doesn't know anything of her "Lucy lineage" and only knows her as Kate, the intern or whatever she is? Rosie's friendly enough (as these backstage glimpses illustrate) to chat up anybody she thinks interesting but that doesn't necessarily mean she knows the kid's last name! Now I'm curious! lucythrill.JPG

Her and Lucie are friends, so yes, I think she knows who Kate's grandma is. LOL

I certainly meant no disrespect to Katharine; you'd think the way 'others' have gained fame; on their backs; okay, on their fronts; waitressing; waitering; car parking; and ALL the other ways of getting recognized, this probably is a safe thing for her; however, with her lineage, you'd think she would be taken under someone's wing and push her forward to what she obviously wants: a job in the film and/or stage industry.

Yeah, but if that were to happen, look at what others would say -- "Kate only got here because her grandmother is Lucille Ball." I'm sure she'd want to start at the bottom to prove herself and work her way up like the lowly people have to. :peachonthebeach:

Unless she applied for the job as Katharine Schmidlapp, then...no.

How 'bout Katharine McGillicuddy; or Katharine Sassafrassa? And, a cuppla comments ago, someone suggested starting at the bottom; don't we all; but, Katharine was in a starring role on Broadway/off-Broadway, or somewhere, I remember; so, guess the foot is still in the door; but, dog-sitting???

Here's what I have:

Kate Luckinbill, Lucie Arnaz and Laurence Luckinbill’s daughter – granddaughter, Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, singer/actress, Captain Incredible, with Nicholas Alexander, as Captain Incredible, she and two others, as Crack Whores (short film), 2006; as well as My Life: Untitled, and My Guaranteed Student Loan, 2009; a short-lived role in stage production, Dracula, 2010; soon-to-be released, College Debts, as Zoe, 2012, is born this date in 1985.

Just watched Rosie and Kate; no mention of her name; discussion about personality of 'the dogs' she apparently is 'having' for the weekend.... Very plain; no obvious make-up...okay...foot in the door....JK

How 'bout Katharine McGillicuddy; or Katharine Sassafrassa? And, a cuppla comments ago, someone suggested starting at the bottom; don't we all; but, Katharine was in a starring role on Broadway/off-Broadway, or somewhere, I remember; so, guess the foot is still in the door; but, dog-sitting???

Dog sitting is clearly not her primary function. She is a production assistant. Rosie probably needed someone in Chicago to watch her dogs while she was out of town and Kate is someone she trusts.

• 1 year later...

Guess she'll just have to roll outta bed to do this one! 

20130318130148_lucie-arnaz_web.jpg

Lucie Arnaz
Latin Roots
Latin Roots is Lucie Arnaz's fiery, explosive, and heartfelt musical tribute to the rhythm of her roots and a love note to the man who introduced La Conga to the United States, her father, Desi Arnaz. An eclectic Latin American mix in English and Spanish highlighting songs from Cole Porter, Irving Berlin, and Johnny Mercer alongside tunes by Agustín Lara, Rafael Hernandez, and Margarita Lecuona, Latin Roots sizzles with sophistication and sassy spice.
www.luciearnaz.com

Tue, Feb 11, 2014
8:00 pm

interior_head.jpg

http://www.mccallumtheatre.com/show_details.php?id=644

Archived