Here's Lucy Puppet

Forgive me if there's an obvious answer every Lucy fan should know, but does the Here's Lucy opening title puppet/doll still exist? If so, where?

To the best of my knowledge the puppet was created by the same company that did the Pillsbury Doughboy, and Speedy, The Alka Seltzer puppet. The Lucy puppet was reportedly in the company's display showcase for years but then ultimately it was either stolen or destroyed in a fire. Either way....it isn't likely to appear anywhere too soon. :(

It's high time some genius sculptor recreate a new one!

Forgive me if there's an obvious answer every Lucy fan should know, but does the Here's Lucy opening title puppet/doll still exist? If so, where?

Thanks for bringing it up, I have always wondered what happened to the puppet and can't believe I haven't asked about it myself on this site.

Whoever has it I hope will donate it to the Smithsonian, the Lucy puppet is surely one of the most iconic television props of all time and probably the single most important piece of Lucy memorabilia in existance. The puppet deserves to be preserved and displayed for the public to see. I think it would be a hugely popular attraction at the Smithsonian and hope Lucie and Desi Jr. at some point will try to locate it for such a display.

Thanks for bringing it up, I have always wondered what happened to the puppet and can't believe I haven't asked about it myself on this site.

Whoever has it I hope will donate it to the Smithsonian, the Lucy puppet is surely one of the most iconic television props of all time and probably the single most important piece of Lucy memorabilia in existance. The puppet deserves to be preserved and displayed for the public to see. I think it would be a hugely popular attraction at the Smithsonian and hope Lucie and Desi Jr. at some point will try to locate it for such a display.

Yeah, good luck with that. The Smithsonian should have the entire set on display.

You're exactly right. There are a lot of great Lucy props out there, but this one would be such a crown jewel. I mean, it only opened all 144 episodes of Here's Lucy. No other Lucy show had a physical prop involved with it, it's a true treasure.

• 2 weeks later...

It was official, I believe made in the 90s under Viacom or Vandor or one of those... I got mine on eBay years ago, if I can find it I'll post a picture.

I have that, She's opening the blue curtains, which was so strange to me because HL hand't come out on DVD or VHS yet

Umm..seriously? Sorry to say that the Lucy puppet is hardly an artifact that the general public would A) appreciate or B ) recognize.

Umm..seriously? Sorry to say that the Lucy puppet is hardly an artifact that the general public would A) appreciate or B ) recognize.

:lol: That's true, the Lucy puppet (if it were still around) shouldn't be in the Smithsonian! It should be at The Lucy Museum in Jamestown!!! There it would be very much appriciated and recognized!

I don't understand why anyone would have ANY objection to anything Lucy related being in the Smithsonian.

Dunno what you're referring to but i was furious when i learned the armchair from All in the Family was there but nothing to do with the greatest tv sitcom of all time that has endured for sixty years or more, Lucy WAS an institution and her not being there makes no sense whatsoever. All i'm saying is the puppet is now known to the world the way the SET of the show was. AND only REAL iconic material belongs in there, stuff that people recognize and cherish like their parents before them did and the puppet was only known by HL fans and for a small number of years, that's all i meant. Of course you're right, i'd settle for anything of Lucy's being there including this long lost puppet.

Well, you said "the ONLY thing that should be in there" (emphasis added) was the ILL set...but it would probably be impossible to re-assemble it. For the rest, the puppet is probably as iconic as anything aside from the Vitameatavegamin outfit (R.I.P.), Job Switching uniforms, or Grape Stomping getup.

Archived