Jack Benny's Birthday Special (FULL!)

Here is Jack Benny's Birthday Special from 1969.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Ux3Lbs0J8&feature=channel

Lucy makes her first appearance 10:27 into part one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHNcdmOE6UY&feature=relmfu

Thanks for putting this up as i do not have that one recorded, although i DO remember every part of it. She looked beautiful and was well dressed. Also Jack was my all time favorite MALE comedian.

Carole had a nice voice but it's so obvious that this isn't Lucy singing. I guess because she had to dance at the same time and would be too winded to sing also. Too bad, didn't Lucy hear all those other famous NON SINGERS doing it anyway?

Oh geez, no wonder Lucy looked so great, did you see the credits? Lucy's make up by Gene Hibbs, the man Ann Sothern told Lucy about who did the lift contraption thing.

How can you tell?? The picture's kinda blurry. lucyhorror.JPG Hibbs was Lucy's make-up artist on HL about this same time but I don't quite get the connection, at least the way you worded it so maybe I'm confused.

And the fact that Irma'd been crankin' her up in the "skullcap contraption" since her return to TV in '62 (although I don't think she was wearing it yet on the first few eps, at least not the premiere one) anyways means she'd been wearing it already for 6, 7 years depending on when this was taped.

lucythrill.JPG

How can you tell?? The picture's kinda blurry. lucyhorror.JPG Hibbs was Lucy's make-up artist on HL about this same time but I don't quite get the connection, at least the way you worded it so maybe I'm confused.

And the fact that Irma'd been crankin' her up in the "skullcap contraption" since her return to TV in '62 (although I don't think she was wearing it yet on the first few eps, at least not the premiere one) anyways means she'd been wearing it already for 6, 7 years depending on when this was taped.

lucythrill.JPG

Ann Sothern was famous for wearing that Gene Hibbs make up and told Lucy about it who was not interested at first but, when she saw what it did for her face, she signed on quickly, LOL! Maybe Irma just did part of it or a variation of it for her.

Ann Sothern was famous for wearing that Gene Hibbs make up and told Lucy about it who was not interested at first but, when she saw what it did for her face, she signed on quickly, LOL! Maybe Irma just did part of it or a variation of it for her.

Lucy looked so young here at 58! Here legs are great and her makeup hides her winkles. She chuckles and adds class ot this special. She is an A+ dancer. However, I would like to hear her own singing voice and I find this special not nearly as good as Carnival Nights. It isn't that funny but the singing is good. Hope they will post her other Jack Benny specials. How were they?

Lucy looked so young here at 58! Here legs are great and her makeup hides her winkles. She chuckles and adds class ot this special. She is an A+ dancer. However, I would like to hear her own singing voice and I find this special not nearly as good as Carnival Nights. It isn't that funny but the singing is good. Hope they will post her other Jack Benny specials. How were they?

You're right, this special was babalousy and her singing should have been her own, you can tell right away.

• 1 year later...

She does look great and handles her lines well, but after doing such a bang-up job on Jack's special the previous year with "Man Around the House", it's a disappointing to see her lipping to Carole Cook's voice.  They could get away with Carole subbing for Lucy in a duet with Burnett, but as a solo, their voices sound nothing alike.  However she looks and moves like woman 30 years younger in her "Big Spender" number.

TV comedies sure got a lot of joke-mileage out of that Imperial Margarine ad where someone takes a bite, a trumpet ta-da's and a crown appears on his head because "it tastes so good, you feel like a king"--or something like that.

She does look great and handles her lines well, but after doing such a bang-up job on Jack's special the previous year with "Man Around the House", it's a disappointing to see her lipping to Carole Cook's voice.  They could get away with Carole subbing for Lucy in a duet with Burnett, but as a solo, their voices sound nothing alike.  However she looks and moves like woman 30 years younger in her "Big Spender" number.

TV comedies sure got a lot of joke-mileage out of that Imperial Margarine ad where someone takes a bite, a trumpet ta-da's and a crown appears on his head because "it tastes so good, you feel like a king"--or something like that.

I hate Lucy being dubbed. I think she is musical enough to get through any song even in 1988 she did Comedy Ain't No Joke when her voice was much older.  I agree with you what you said.  Man Around the House is a great number.  I love it.  This number is annoying.  I know Lucy was sick with laygritis so needed help in this show but really if she felt normal she won't need to be dubbed.  The dancing is great and won't knock the wind out of Lucy.  She is a professional dancer and fun to watch even here.  That is the only great thing about this special.  I am 26 and this is so dated it makes me wince.

I agree Carole's voice is too strong for hers.  It is so powerful Lucy needs to open her mouth larger.  I agree in Easy to Wed and Duberry Was a Lady (first number)  it is so much better.  I actually rather hear Lucy sing herself like In Dance Girl Dance, Wildcat, The LUcy Show and even Mame.  After that her voice left her but Leading Lady and Comedy Aint' No Joke are written in just the right way for her to shine.

I agree Carole's voice is too strong for hers.  It is so powerful Lucy needs to open her mouth larger.  I agree in Easy to Wed and Duberry Was a Lady (first number)  it is so much better.  I actually rather hear Lucy sing herself like In Dance Girl Dance, Wildcat, The LUcy Show and even Mame.  After that her voice left her but Leading Lady and Comedy Aint' No Joke are written in just the right way for her to shine.

Leading Lady is probably one of the best. Im almost lead to tears at the end with all of those Lucys. I I remember hearing such a drastic change in her voice when singing Friendship with Gene Kelly on his Pasadena Special. It was more spider voice than anything else, but a good performance none the less.

Archived