The Kaye Ballard Appreciation Thread!

Found out the theater holds 550 people.  Tomorrow night is Kaye's show.  Happened to stumble across the fact that one of Gregg O's My Favorite Husband radio shows is happening Thursday!  With Gavin McLeod, Joyce Bulifant and "a host of celebrities"!!

SoldOut_zps79fc6101.jpg

In a long story in the Palm Springs Sunday paper, Kaye said that she might consider a short tour of this "farewell" show.

The article also had this quote (CAPS are mine):

"Ballard started in the INFLUENTIAL Mothers In Law which broke the mold of saccharine TV sitcoms and PAVED THE WAY for shows like All in the Family"

!!!!??????!!!

Fabulous night!  Fabulous show!

Kaye did the first half by herself.  The 2nd half was her friends on the front row performing for her:

Carol Channing did her "Cecily Sisselman" routine (the old time movie star whose s's are whistled) letter perfect.

Mimi Hines did a lesser known number from "Funny Girl" and is still in great voice.

Shecky Greene was very sharp and funny.

Peter Marshall same age as Kaye: 88, sang a couple songs and still has that rich baritone.

And then a couple more male singers I didn't know.

Showed clips at the beginning.  then mid-way there was a Mothers In Law tribute with outtakes not on the DVD.

My seat was right behind Carol.  There was another very frail woman on the front row that was somebody.  I kept asking other people and nobody knew but I SWEAR it could have been Nancy Reagan.

More later!.................

Fabulous night!  Fabulous show!

Kaye did the first half by herself.  The 2nd half was her friends on the front row performing for her:

Carol Channing did her "Cecily Sisselman" routine (the old time movie star whose s's are whistled) letter perfect.

Mimi Hines did a lesser known number from "Funny Girl" and is still in great voice.

Shecky Greene was very sharp and funny.

Peter Marshall same age as Kaye: 88, sang a couple songs and still has that rich baritone.

And then a couple more male singers I didn't know.

Showed clips at the beginning.  then mid-way there was a Mothers In Law tribute with outtakes not on the DVD.

My seat was right behind Carol.  There was another very frail woman on the front row that was somebody.  I kept asking other people and nobody knew but I SWEAR it could have been Nancy Reagan.

More later!.................

Other "notables" present included Hollywood reporter Bill Harris; Broadway singer Alex Corey; Sid & Marty Kroft's Land of the Lost star Wesley Eure and Lidsville's Witchipoo (also in several Bewitched episodes) Ms. Billie Hayes; Gavin MacLeod (Mary Tyler Moore Show, The Love Boat) & real-life wife Patti as well as TMTMS spouse Joyce Bulifant. Also reportedly present was tennis legend Billie Jean King (but can't confirm).

As for "Lucy-related" folks, not only was Bill Asher's widow Meredith there, but also the "GAB Guys" (Garret Boyajian and George Ridjaneck), who were responsible for producing all the bonus content, episode introductory interviews with Lucie & Desi Arnaz, et. al., and much much more for the MPI Here's Lucy DVDs. 

It was a star- studded event on and off the stage! ;)

• 4 weeks later...

A professional looking video of Kaye's entire farewell show has been uploaded to YouTube!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBZGpheqkVQ

Kaye is just incredible. She is uproariously funny, she sounds terrific, and has such stage presence. I hope she reconsiders and continues to do some more stage work because she's phenomenal here. 

• 2 weeks later...

One of the CDs I picked up at Kaye's Farewell Show was the audio version of her biography, which is spread out over 4 discs.  While I don't think it's supposed to be abridged, it certainly flies by awfully quickly and is certainly a fun read --er, listen.  There's a couple of spots where she even cracks herself up!  I can't recommend it highly enough and it makes me want to add the book version to my library too as I'd certainly hate to miss any of her marvelous stories!! 

And what a life & career she's had!! She even talks briefly about an affair she had with Marlon Brando...yes Marlon Brando of "On the Waterfront"!! Can you imagine?? 

So cool.   :peachonthebeach: 

One of the CDs I picked up at Kaye's Farewell Show was the audio version of her biography, which is spread out over 4 discs.  While I don't think it's supposed to be abridged, it certainly flies by awfully quickly and is certainly a fun read --er, listen.  There's a couple of spots where she even cracks herself up!  I can't recommend it highly enough and it makes me want to add the book version to my library too as I'd certainly hate to miss any of her marvelous stories!! 

The story she tells on the discs about being in the drug store with Wallis Simpson kills me every time! :marionstrong:

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

It looks like Kaye is still open for business and reprised her act with Donna McKechnie and Liliane Montevecchi in July at the Albuquerque Little Theatre. I hope the marquee said "Catherine Balotta: We Never Forgot Her."

http://www.broadwayworld.com/albuquerque/article/BWW-Reviews-These-BROADWAY-BABES-are-the-Real-McCoy-20140731#.U_SazNm9LCQ

It looks like Kaye is still open for business and reprised her act with Donna McKechnie and Liliane Montevecchi in July at the Albuquerque Little Theatre. I hope the marquee said "Catherine Balotta: We Never Forgot Her."

http://www.broadwayworld.com/albuquerque/article/BWW-Reviews-These-BROADWAY-BABES-are-the-Real-McCoy-20140731#.U_SazNm9LCQ

GREAT! I was hoping Palm Springs wasn't really her "swan song"!! She's still a very vibrant and entertaining performer and I hope she keeps plugging as long as she's able!! :P

• 2 weeks later...