Here's Lucy Season 5 . . . Reviews and first impressions!

I'll probably be getting it today or tomorrow, but here is my take, from the episodes I have seen

Lucy is Really in a Pickle--loved when she tried to eat the pickle and it turned into a "Vitameatavegamin" schtick. And her timing and expression and delivery of "Oh they're DELICIOUS!" :lucydisgust: was priceless.

Lucy and Harry's Pot--I thought it was a very sweet episode especially the end. And I loved Lucy's reaction to Harry refusing to get mad. "HARRY CARTER I NEVER KNEW YOU COULD BE SO MEAN! *cries*

Lucy and Harry's Memoirs--I loved the flashbacks, and when they were drinking the champagne. Especially Harry's "I never drive when I'm walking" line which I don't get why Lucy said "Harry do you know what you just said?" I also love her wig in this episode.

Lucy and Donny Osmond--it was all right, definitely the one my aunt remembers the most because she is a HUGE Donny Osmond fan, and it originally aired when she was 11, and still a huge fan. (You may not believe me when I say this but she got to go backstage to meet him when he was on Broadway 5 years ago because she won a contest)

Not So Popular Mechanics--I felt so bad for Lucy and MJ, having to go through all that, taking everything out of the hood of the car to try to fix it. Nowadays it would be no problem to get a hold of Jack on a boat because of cell phones!

Goodbye Mrs. Hips--It was good, but wouldn't you be tempted to eat all that food if you were on a diet? "I'll blow up like a BALLOON! Just don't stick me with a pin."

Also what episode is it where Lucy is on the phone in the office going "You're an old meanie, lalalala" I saw it on the 1981 syndication promo thing on the Best Of set.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A great set overall, have yet to check out the bonus features, but I did notice a goof on disc 1.

Lucy, the Other Woman opens with the season 4 music instead of the new season 5 theme, which isn't an issue on any other episodes on the disc. Have yet to see if this applies to other discs as well.

And of course the black case, which makes viewing the episode guide printed on the interior of the sheet impossible. A few minor flubs that mar an otherwise stellar set.

OMG the bloopers. Lots of them are on the other reels but there are a fair few new ones. One of them made my jaw drop.

Lucy comes into the office and says "do you know that Jerry Paris raped a girl in the park."

Whoever was directing was NOT happy with her!

LMAO. It was probably Jerry Paris directing that day. HAHAHA.

I also liked the one where she's doing the promo for the 1970 season and she's acting drunk. The one where she's wearing that blue and white suit from the Burton/Taylor episode. You're right, there were a few doozies in there but they were mixed in with some of the same old clips we've seen before. I was getting pissed there for a minute. lol

OMG the bloopers. Lots of them are on the other reels but there are a fair few new ones. One of them made my jaw drop.

Lucy comes into the office and says "do you know that Jerry Paris raped a girl in the park."

Whoever was directing was NOT happy with her!

Geez, i'd love to know the back story on that. Did you know Jerry Paris was the neighbor on the Dick Van Dyke show?

Thought the same thing when I watched the movies. Look Lucy playing with her kids, and she looks happy. Love the Palm Springs one. I'm thinking 56/57 based on kids ages.

Yeah, I think the kids were holding up their fingers for their current ages, so I'm guessing 1957. Both her and Desi looked pretty happy here and that was only a couple years before the divorce.

I loved the little home movies they have on the extras too. Somebody better alert Carole Cook, Lucy was playing in the pool...with her kids!! She was hugging and kissing on them and everything. Couldn't believe my eyes, they said that never happened. :marionstrong:

Isn't that what i've been saying for years now? Lucy worshipped those kids, she had them taken care of by her mom and nannies because that's what all rich and powerful people did back then, but what little time she did have she spent with those kids and ninny Cook saying I NEVER SAW YOUR MOM PLAY WITH YOU was sheer nonsense, Carole comes over to Lucy's see, so Lucy leaves her at one point to go play with her kids, such idiocy, does one do that with guests in their home?

Isn't that what i've been saying for years now? Lucy worshipped those kids, she had them taken care of by her mom and nannies because that's what all rich and powerful people did back then, but what little time she did have she spent with those kids and ninny Cook saying I NEVER SAW YOUR MOM PLAY WITH YOU was sheer nonsense, Carole comes over to Lucy's see, so Lucy leaves her at one point to go play with her kids, such idiocy, does one do that with guests in their home?

I always found it funny that at that point in the documentary right after Carole makes that dumb statement they showed home movies of LUCY PLAYING WITH THE KIDS IN THE POOL!! LOL. Uh hello? Besides, Carole came into the picture when Lucie and Desi were preteens, right? What preteen wants their mommy to play with them? I like Carole as a comedienne and actress, but what she said there was really quite fricking stupid. :rolleyes:

I always found it funny that at that point in the documentary right after Carole makes that dumb statement they showed home movies of LUCY PLAYING WITH THE KIDS IN THE POOL!! LOL. Uh hello? Besides, Carole came into the picture when Lucie and Desi were preteens, right? What preteen wants their mommy to play with them? I like Carole as a comedienne and actress, but what she said there was really quite fricking stupid. :rolleyes:

Remember that Ms Cook was being interviewed by the one and only Lucie Arnaz, so it was pandering, telling her what she wanted to hear and knowing that part WOULD make the documentary. Like the other story Carole talks about, SHE WOULD TREAT ALL THE OTHER CELEBRITIES LIKE SHE DID ME, TELLING JACK BENNY, GO HERE, DO THAT, well yeah, it was HER show and and she was the executive producer and knew what she wanted or needed for the show and was the main one with the authority to get the best show in the can, she didn't get to be the First Lady of Televison or the Queen of Comedy by being shy and demure about her work.

Remember that Ms Cook was being interviewed by the one and only Lucie Arnaz, so it was pandering, telling her what she wanted to hear and knowing that part WOULD make the documentary. Like the other story Carole talks about, SHE WOULD TREAT ALL THE OTHER CELEBRITIES LIKE SHE DID ME, TELLING JACK BENNY, GO HERE, DO THAT, well yeah, it was HER show and and she was the executive producer and knew what she wanted or needed for the show and was the main one with the authority to get the best show in the can, she didn't get to be the First Lady of Televison or the Queen of Comedy by being shy and demure about her work.

Well that's for dang sure! Well said, Rosebud! :peachonthebeach:

Got it today! But there's no booklet inside! I loved the bloopers, they ran for 30 minutes! And I like how some of the bloopers we've already seen were extended, like the one with the cans flying out of the closet--it showed Lucy and Gale walking through the office doors at the end. And also the home movies in the pool were great. And why the heck was Lucy acting drunk when she was promoting season 3?

In the Palm Springs home movies, based on Desi Jr. holding up his fingers to show how old he is, age 4 and a half, it was 1957.

And Lucy on the Donny and Marie show, "duplicated" during her dance was WILD! How the heck did they pull off something like that in 1977?

But when I popped the 4th disc in, this weird promo for the Donna Reed show and some other shows popped up and I couldn't get out of it.

Archived