Here's Lucy Season 5 . . . Reviews and first impressions!

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And Lucy on the Donny and Marie show, "duplicated" during her dance was WILD! How the heck did they pull off something like that in 1977?

Oh it was very nice to see and a nice gimmick but i didn't think it was that well done, they should have matched better in my opinion.

It's my standard response when I find out I'm older than someone's aunt!

I know it sounds cliche but it doesn't matter what age you are as long as you feel young at heart. Our bodies, unfortunately, do age; however, our spirits don't. Keep that in mind. ;)

I know it sounds cliche but it doesn't matter what age you are as long as you feel young at heart. Our bodies, unfortunately, do age; however, our spirits don't. Keep that in mind. ;)

Joan Rivers who's pushing 80 had a great joke on Kimmell the other night . . . at 40 you start losing your eyesight, at 50 you forget everything, at 60 you start farting like crazy and at seventy you start losing your sense of smell, which means that you suffer through smelling all those farts for like ten years.

Oh it was very nice to see and a nice gimmick but i didn't think it was that well done, they should have matched better in my opinion.

It was pretty remarkable for 1977 though. It's cool that they didn't use the same shot for all of the Lucys. There are 3 or 4 different takes. I think they had to record one and then record the next one along with the tape of the first one, etc., which explains why some of them look a little faded.

But WHO ELSE could pull this off?? It's not just that she was limber enough to kick that high, she could do it with such grace.

It was pretty remarkable for 1977 though. It's cool that they didn't use the same shot for all of the Lucys. There are 3 or 4 different takes. I think they had to record one and then record the next one along with the tape of the first one, etc., which explains why some of them look a little faded.

But WHO ELSE could pull this off?? It's not just that she was limber enough to kick that high, she could do it with such grace.

And I thought she looked pretty hot with her Mae West impersonation. Didn't look 66 to me.

And I thought she looked pretty hot with her Mae West impersonation. Didn't look 66 to me.

Just got finished with Disc 1.

LUCY'S BIG BREAK--Good, I liked when she tricked the nurse into thinking she had an 108 degree fever, just so she could get the handsome doctor back in the room

EVA GABOR--Loved it! I thought Lucy deserved the fancy dinner since everybody kept giving Lucy's gifts to Eva. And the bit with the hospital bed was hysterical

HARRY CARTER, MALE NURSE--Poor Uncle Harry, lol. Another great episode. The bit with the wheelchair was so "Lucy Raises Tulips." I thought it was a golf cart

A HOME IS NOT AN OFFICE--Good. Lucy was right, it was her house and she had every right to do what she wanted in her own home. Uncle Harry had it coming to him at the end

JOE NAMATH--Great--glad to see Craig back for this episode. It was funny how Joe unintentionally "turned" on Lucy when they were trying to get Craig out of football.

WHEELCHAIR DRIVER--Good, I loved the "Down by the Lazy River" number at the end.

LUCY THE OTHER WOMAN--Good, it was kind of like the end of "The Gossip." And I laughed when she said "he's so much sex" and he's a milkman. :lucyhaha:

Hasn't anyone watched their set? lol.

Disc 2

Lucy & Petula Clark: Great. I laughed so hard when Lucy started singing over the recording and then she was the "waa waa pedal."

Lucy & Jim Bailey: Loved it. I didn't think they would confess that Jim was just impersonating Phyllis.

Dirty Gertie: Good, I always love when Lucy talks with a missing tooth. :marionstrong:

Donny Osmond: Great. Nice to see Jan Brady (aka Eve Plumb) guest star. I understand how the chef feels because Donny always orders a glass of milk with peanut butter.

Lucy and her Prince Charming: Good, it was funny when they had the impromptu wedding ceremony, lol

My Fair Buzzi: Good, I thought it was funny how Annie kept freaking out and going nuts, and the speakeasy sketch was funny.

Lucy and the Group Encounter: First half was sort of eeh, but it was funny at the end when they switched and the mailman was like "O_o"

Lucy just seemed like a pain in the ass in the Petula one, but I'm enjoying this season. Really liked the Twimby episode. I had never seen it before.

Yeah, I didn't like the Petula one either. Did anyone notice when Lucy was helping Petula up out of her chair that she grabbed onto her boob instead of her arm? :lucythrill:

I think "Lucy and Petula Clark" is the best of the "Annoying Lucy" trilogy - "Lucy and John Wayne" (The Lucy Show episode), "Lucy and Sammy Davis Jr.," and "Lucy and Petula Clark." It is, however, one of the weakest episodes of this season.

The presence of Tiny simply elevates "Petula" to another level. I'd love to know if the "Tiny" line was a very rare adlib. Certainly seemed that way.

I haven't had much time to watch too much of this yet. As I go for the bonus features first, I had time to watch the bloopers and loved those! Sure, we've seen lots of them before, but there were also a lot of new ones in there that were lots of fun to see. I especially love the bloopers where Lucy is clearly amused and having fun as opposed to being more business-like and seeming a little irritated. I've got a project due for one of my grad classes on Tuesday, but hopefully after that I'll be able to delve into all those great season 5 episodes! :peachonthebeach:

I haven't had much time to watch too much of this yet. As I go for the bonus features first, I had time to watch the bloopers and loved those! Sure, we've seen lots of them before, but there were also a lot of new ones in there that were lots of fun to see. I especially love the bloopers where Lucy is clearly amused and having fun as opposed to being more business-like and seeming a little irritated. I've got a project due for one of my grad classes on Tuesday, but hopefully after that I'll be able to delve into all those great season 5 episodes! :peachonthebeach:

Disc 3

Pickle--See my first post in this topic

Lucy goes on her last blind date--It was good, but I thought it was kinda lame at the end, when she pretended to be a wolf during the full moon.

Lucy and her Genuine Twimby--Great, it was pretty much just like the Fur Coat episode we all know and love. I'm glad Lucy was a good sport about the chair but UGH the end. Thank you Uncle Harry! -_-

Lucy Goes to Prison--loved it! Elsa Lanchester was great in this episode as Mumsy--she was really eccentric! I didn't understand why Lucy poured the bleach on the floor though. And I kind of saw the end coming. Mumsy kind of reminded me of Dory from Finding Nemo.

Lucy and the Professor--Loved it! I loved the song at the end, and I am glad it made up for Lucy tearing up the speech! I wish I was as good looking as 30 year old John Davidson. Those teeth!

Lucy and the Franchise Fiasco--Ugh all that ice cream went to waste but it was really funny when Lucy got brain freeze. I totally saw it coming when Uncle Harry put on his hat that Lucy filled with ice cream. And it was kind of like "Lucy is Kangaroo for a day" when she was forced to go out in public wearing an animal costume.

Lucy and Harry's Pot--loved it, it reminds me of this special mug that one of my old junior high counselors gave me when I left for high school. I haven't heard from her in years but she really helped me get through the trials and struggles of my 7th and 8th grade years.

Favorites:

"Lucy's Big Break"

"Lucy and Eva Gabor Are Hospital Roomies"

"Uncle Harry, Male Nurse"

"A Home Is Not an Office"

"Lucy and the Group Encounter"

"Goodbye, Mrs. Hips"

"The Not-So Popular Mechanics"

"Lucy Goes to Prison"

"Lucy and the Franchise Fiasco"

"Lucy and Uncle Harry's Pot"

Least-Favorites:

"Lucy and Petula Clark" - Lucy was pushy and annoying in this one; the plot was weak.

"Lucy and Jim Bailey" - This episode seemed like a show within show. The guest was the star in this one not Lucy.

"My Fair Buzzi" - Ruth Buzzi's character, I felt, was over the top in the first half of the episode. The second half was a slight improvement but nothing to write home about. Overall, this episode seemed like a variety show and not a sitcom. I generally don't care for Lucy variety-type episodes.

"Lucy and the Professor" - the whole episode seemed blah.

"My Fair Buzzi" - Ruth Buzzi's character, I felt, was over the top in the first half of the episode. The second half was a slight improvement but nothing to write home about. Overall, this episode seemed like a variety show and not a sitcom. I generally don't care for Lucy variety-type episodes.

"Lucy and the Professor" - the whole episode seemed blah.

Hmm...this episode isn't the greatest, but it never fails to make me laugh -- particularly Annie Whipple's reactions to Hal King. ( :HALKING: ) What I find most interesting is they really used Gale in a unique way here. Rather than using him for the slow burn, he is pitching one-liners left and right and is absolutely hilarious.

Hmm...this episode isn't the greatest, but it never fails to make me laugh -- particularly Annie Whipple's reactions to Hal King. ( :HALKING: ) What I find most interesting is they really used Gale in a unique way here. Rather than using him for the slow burn, he is pitching one-liners left and right and is absolutely hilarious.

That was annoying that she kept screaming that though. Otherwise I liked the episode.

I think "Lucy and Petula Clark" is the best of the "Annoying Lucy" trilogy - "Lucy and John Wayne" (The Lucy Show episode), "Lucy and Sammy Davis Jr.," and "Lucy and Petula Clark." It is, however, one of the weakest episodes of this season.

"Annoying Lucy" was only a trilogy?? What about "Sells Craig to Wayne Newton", "Phil Harris" "Johnny Carson"-just to name a few. My pick as the best of your trilogy is "john Wayne"; head and shoulders above the other two...at least there was SOME motivation for her zany actions: getting "carried away". I love it when she takes over the make-up session. I don't know of anyone else who likes that one as much as I do. It's harder to accept her braying along with petula during a recording session; or whatever she did to Sammy--don't remember other than it was annoying.

I just got my Season 5 and so far have only skimmed the extras. What strikes me is how the kids' senses of humor and fun; and their naturalistic styles, particularly Desi's, are squashed by the Here's Lucy template of comedic deliver, where there isn't much overlapping of dialogue or straying from the words in the script, especially the gag-inducing gags they were forced to utter. These qualities, again especially Desi's, are much more evident in the outtakes. Watch Desi reacting to his horse during the Wayne Newton "I've Got the World on a String" number.

Favorites:

"

"My Fair Buzzi" - Ruth Buzzi's character, I felt, was over the top

I think Ruth Buzzi and Sue Tolsky went to the same dramatic school that bypassed the Stanislavski method in favor of Betty Hutton's style.

Archived