Here's Lucy Season 5 . . . Reviews and first impressions!

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Jerry Paris line is from "Lucy and Mannix are Held Hostage," but from the filmed dress rehearsal and not the audience show. This was the first episode done at Universal and they filmed the dress rehearsal. I wonder if this still exists in its entirety. The Lucy-Lucie "You blew it!" blooper is also from this. Most of the bloopers of the cast being risque or silly are from episodes done without an audience.

The Jerry Paris line is from "Lucy and Mannix are Held Hostage," but from the filmed dress rehearsal and not the audience show. This was the first episode done at Universal and they filmed the dress rehearsal. I wonder if this still exists in its entirety. The Lucy-Lucie "You blew it!" blooper is also from this. Most of the bloopers of the cast being risque or silly are from episodes done without an audience.

Well, there ya go, her General Foods image stays intact. :lucythrill:

It appears Kim inherited the Carmichael-Carter one-date romance syndrome from her mother with John Davidson. They declared their love for one another and he's never heard from again. How many one date boyfriends did Lucy and Kim Carter have?

It appears Kim inherited the Carmichael-Carter one-date romance syndrome from her mother with John Davidson. They declared their love for one another and he's never heard from again. How many one date boyfriends did Lucy and Kim Carter have?

Also speaking of taping dates for HL, I am pretty sure that "Reckless Wheelchair" was on May 20th, 1972, because of when Lucy is getting her mugshots taken, it says 5-20-72.

Not counting Donny Osmond and "impressionist" Jim Bailey. Notice how they avoid the term "female impersonator".

You are close! According to my information, "Wreckless Wheel Chair Driver" was filmed on May 25, 1972...

What info is that? Anymore taping dates?

I know "Lucy & and the Great Airport Chase" was shot in June-July 1968 despite airing in February 1969.

"Lucy Runs the Rapids" (and I guess a majority of the Colorado episodes) was shot in mid June 1969.

"Lucy's Big break" was in March 1972

"Lucy Meets the Burtons" was May 1970.

Idk why they didn't wait until July-August to start.

What info is that? Anymore taping dates?

I know "Lucy & and the Great Airport Chase" was shot in June-July 1968 despite airing in February 1969.

"Lucy Runs the Rapids" (and I guess a majority of the Colorado episodes) was shot in mid June 1969.

"Lucy's Big break" was in March 1972

"Lucy Meets the Burtons" was May 1970.

Idk why they didn't wait until July-August to start.

I will try to find someplace to post them all... For now: "Airport Chase" was filmed July 29, 1968. "Indian Chief" was filmed on location June 2-6, 1969, back-to-back with "Runs the Rapids," which was filmed June 6-14; "Big Break" was filmed March 23, 1972, and "Burtons" was filmed May 14, 1970.

Most shows start filming in July-August, and finish up sometime during First Quarter of the following year. Beginning backwith "I Love Lucy," Lucy and Desi both liked the luxury of having a few shows under their belt before they broke for a summer vacation AND both loved to spend that vacation in DelMar, California, where the horses race during July-August. They started to film 6-8 episodes at the end of a given year (in May-June) that would be "held over" to the following fall, then break for the summer, and come back after Labor Day... Lucy continued that throughout much of "The Lucy Show" (with one or two exceptions)... By the time she was doing "Here's Lucy", she sometimes started production as early as March or April, and worked through the summer and into the fall. Her shows were often the only ones filming, which certainly allowed her a wide variety of guest performers who might otherwise have been engaged for other things. She started season 5 early, and finished early (October), so she could start "Mame."

Kim's boyfriends:

Don (Lucy the Conclusion Jumper - Don Crichton)

Phil (mentioned in Guess Who Owes Lucy $23.50)

One that looks like Rosemary's Baby(mentioned in Lucy Goes on Strike)

Freddie Dawson (mentioned in Lucy and the Bogie Affair)

Herbie Hofferman (mentioned in Lucy and the Used Car Dealer)

Rodney Dawson (mentioned in Lucy and Carol Burnett)

Alan Stevens (Lucy and the Drive-In Movie - Rob Hughes)

Steve Bailey (Lucy the American Mother - Don Crichton)

Willie the Grabber (mentioned in Lucy and the Astronauts)

Rich Little (Lucy and the Celebrities)

Joe Hackley (Lucy's Replacement - Phil Vandervort)

Peter Sullivan (Kim Moves Out - Tim Matheson)

Ronnie Cumberland (Kim Finally Cuts You-Know-Who's Apron Strings - Lloyd Batista)

Professor John "Pussycat" Kleindorf (Lucy and the Professor - John Davidson)

Brian (Where Is My Wandering Mother Tonight? - Brian Cutler. I hope Kim didn't end up with him. He seems the sleaziest after Lord Ronnie Cumberland.)

:lucie: I'm expecting a call from my boyfriend.

:desijr: Which one?

:lucie: Any one!

Lucy and the Indian Chief was shot exactly 20 years before I was born, lol. And speaking of The Lucy Show, I love how "Kiddie Parties Inc" was shot on June 6th because June FIFTH is my birthday and I am a huge balloon-a-holic. lol!

Yeah I could understand why they wanted to get several shows in the can at the start of the season before taking a summer vacation, but that's more like finishing up the season and then taking vacation.

Thanks for the Here's Lucy production schedule. It seemed so off from the general shooting schedule of network sitcoms.

I was trying to figure out how if she broke her leg sking in the winter/ early spring, why she was so bandaged up in August. Makes sense knowing it was March.

Thanks for the Here's Lucy production schedule. It seemed so off from the general shooting schedule of network sitcoms.

I was trying to figure out how if she broke her leg sking in the winter/ early spring, why she was so bandaged up in August. Makes sense knowing it was March.

She actually broke her leg in January.

I don't know that there was another series in TV history that was pretty much guaranteed a full season renewal. Lucy was on a talk show (Merv Griffin?) that aired early in the fall (don't know the year but it was probably 72 or 73) and she said they had filmed practically all the episodes for the season that had just started. The Here's Lucy episodes I saw being filmed were not shown for months.

So "Big Break" was shot 2 months after the accident? Bob and Madelyn seem to do their best work under pressure because IMO the first 3 episodes of the season are among the best of the series. (I think "Burtons" was written on very short notice too)

Knowing these dates, I'm very impressed with Lucy's fortitude. Her leg injury was severe, referred to as a 'butterfly break'--don't know what that is, but it sounds bad. Amazing that at 60 years old, she had such confidence in her ability to overcome that she'd commit to making "mame" a year from her break, and instead of resting, she puts out a full season of shows.

It also shows just how much the studio wanted Lucy over Angela or anybody else. Did the break happen on the eve of the beginning of "Mame"'s filming? Or was it scheduled for some time later in 1972? I read that they filmed it from Jan to June 1973 and "delayed production for a full year"

Knowing what she went through to do "Mame", I see now why the bad reception disappointed her, beyond what it normally would have.

Thanks, never knew the actual month. Lucie told the whole story in Jamestown one May. Seemed that Lucy was taking some meds for quite awhile that were actually thining her bones. Had she not had the clean break of the bone and the doc asking about the meds she was on, she may have shattered her leg later in life.

Thanks, never knew the actual month. Lucie told the whole story in Jamestown one May. Seemed that Lucy was taking some meds for quite awhile that were actually thining her bones. Had she not had the clean break of the bone and the doc asking about the meds she was on, she may have shattered her leg later in life.

Just to add to what Shelly said, the medication Lucie mentioned as thinning Lucy's bones was prednisone for arthritis, so Loungers with arthritis and related conditions beware!

Archived