Here's Lucy Season 5 . . . Reviews and first impressions!

Just watched Lucie's intro to the Ruth Buzzi episode and she states that Ruth worked with Lucy on Life with Lucy!!! did I miss something there or is Lucie wrong?

Ruth Buzzi plays the woman in the hardware store that freaks out over John Ritter in Lucy Makes A Hit With John Ritter. :)

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boy was this season a PAIN to get through. And i thought season four of TLS was bad. The first disc was the most enjoyable, episode-wise. Especially loved the episode with Craig, even though he's performance was kinda AWKWARD.

I will say that the featurette on Desi Arnaz, JR. was a total bore. It came across as filler compared to the other featurettes produced. If season Six is anything like this season, then MPI could can take their sweet time releasing it.

Boy was this season a PAIN to get through. And i thought season four of TLS was bad. The first disc was the most enjoyable, episode-wise. Especially loved the episode with Craig, even though he's performance was kinda AWKWARD.

I will say that the featurette on Desi Arnaz, JR. was a total bore. It came across as filler compared to the other featurettes produced. If season Six is anything like this season, then MPI could can take their sweet time releasing it.

BUT did you like it?

• 1 month later...

I thought season five of "Here's Lucy"was one of the best seasons along with the fourth season of "The Lucy Show." In my opinion season three of "The Lucy Show" and season six of "Here's Lucy" were the weakest seaons between the two shows.

I just watched the "My Fair Buzzi" episode. Yes, Ruth is (**just slightly**) over the top, but when you hire Ruth Buzzi, what do you expect? I always enjoyed her. Her cleaning and polishing bits (and taking care of Harry's cigar ashes) were funny. Since this episode was done right before "Mame", I wonder if there was discussion then and there about Ruth doing Gooch. I don't find fault with jane Connell, but I think Ruth would have been better---but not as good as Madeleine Kahn.

I look back now and realize how talented Lucie Arnaz was but at the time I did not like it when Lucie was given extended solo scenes and musical numbers. Her attempt to distract the director with a medley of songs was a great display of how she had progressed as a musical talent...but way short of funny. That ass-jiggling step she does looks like it was hard to do, but was it really advisable? Not anything I would attempt in public (for reasons too numerous to list here!)

The actor who played the director bugs me. He's been in other episodes, I think. I don't believe a word that comes out of his mouth. And I don't know what to say about the actor playing "Hal King". I know LBP was cost-conscious but in years past these characters would have been played by the likes of Lou Krugman and...I don't know who for Hal King. It helps a comedy show when they hire actors with some actual experience in comedy; those who are thoroughly believable and contribute where they can but don't try to steal a scene and are not cartoon-y like my least favorite recurring player Irwin Sharone.

Lucie states that one of the dancers sliced off the end of her finger but kept on with the dance. Really? If that had been the case, wouldn't there have been a little blood visible in the subsequent shots? I think Lucie inherited her mother's penchant for exaggeration.

And apologies to anyone who enjoys these Roaring 20s revues,and it seems like there were a lot of them, but from "Speakeasy Days" on they all really make me sick! They're always expertly done and choreographed, but have, for me, NO entertainment value. Must we ALWAYS be subjected to a pre-recorded flapper number??

The Fox/Jacobs scripts (with a couple of exceptions) are my least favorites. Sometimes the premises were good, but their scripts lacked anything close to wit.

And just when I thought "Everything's Doo-Wacka-Doo at Bullwinkle U" was the most bile-raising show title ever, they top themselves with "No One had an Inhibition about Breaking Prohibition". Kim says: "At least it rhymes". Well, no it DOESN'T really.

How about "Whenever they have shows with flappers on it, it makes me want to vomit!"

Just watched Lucie's intro to the Ruth Buzzi episode and she states that Ruth worked with Lucy on Life with Lucy!!! did I miss something there or is Lucie wrong?

I just watched the "My Fair Buzzi" episode. Yes, Ruth is (**just slightly**) over the top, but when you hire Ruth Buzzi, what do you expect? I always enjoyed her. Her cleaning and polishing bits (and taking care of Harry's cigar ashes) were funny. Since this episode was done right before "Mame", I wonder if there was discussion then and there about Ruth doing Gooch. I don't find fault with jane Connell, but I think Ruth would have been better---but not as good as Madeleine Kahn.

I look back now and realize how talented Lucie Arnaz was but at the time I did not like it when Lucie was given extended solo scenes and musical numbers. Her attempt to distract the director with a medley of songs was a great display of how she had progressed as a musical talent...but way short of funny. That ass-jiggling step she does looks like it was hard to do, but was it really advisable? Not anything I would attempt in public (for reasons too numerous to list here!)

The actor who played the director bugs me. He's been in other episodes, I think. I don't believe a word that comes out of his mouth. And I don't know what to say about the actor playing "Hal King". I know LBP was cost-conscious but in years past these characters would have been played by the likes of Lou Krugman and...I don't know who for Hal King. It helps a comedy show when they hire actors with some actual experience in comedy; those who are thoroughly believable and contribute where they can but don't try to steal a scene and are not cartoon-y like my least favorite recurring player Irwin Sharone.

Lucie states that one of the dancers sliced off the end of her finger but kept on with the dance. Really? If that had been the case, wouldn't there have been a little blood visible in the subsequent shots? I think Lucie inherited her mother's penchant for exaggeration.

And apologies to anyone who enjoys these Roaring 20s revues,and it seems like there were a lot of them, but from "Speakeasy Days" on they all really make me sick! They're always expertly done and choreographed, but have, for me, NO entertainment value. Must we ALWAYS be subjected to a pre-recorded flapper number??

The Fox/Jacobs scripts (with a couple of exceptions) are my least favorites. Sometimes the premises were good, but their scripts lacked anything close to wit.

And just when I thought "Everything's Doo-Wacka-Doo at Bullwinkle U" was the most bile-raising show title ever, they top themselves with "No One had an Inhibition about Breaking Prohibition". Kim says: "At least it rhymes". Well, no it DOESN'T really.

How about "Whenever they have shows with flappers on it, it makes me want to vomit!"

Ruth Buzzi was auditioned to play Gooch after Madeline Kahn was let go. She and Jane Connell tried out at the same time. They went with Jane, of course.

The Roaring Twenties were big at the time with shows like "No, No Nanette." "Lucy and the Lost Star" was a bit ahead of its time. There was still one more Roaring Twenties revue to come: "Lucy Gives Eddie Albert the Old Song and Dance." Nostalgia was in (:maryjane1: "Nostalgia's so old fashioned!")

I freakin' love the flapper dance number.. I respect that some of you don't.. and I don't care.. I love when we step out of our regurlar characters and become someone else and sing and dance.. LUCY was great as the Madame of the Speakeasy and LUCIE danced and sang soooo WELL... I love watching the dance numbers when she is in them!

I freakin' love the flapper dance number.. I respect that some of you don't.. and I don't care.. I love when we step out of our regurlar characters and become someone else and sing and dance.. LUCY was great as the Madame of the Speakeasy and LUCIE danced and sang soooo WELL... I love watching the dance numbers when she is in them!

Yep, I like watching Lucie sing and dance too. She was very talented.

I agree with you! :)

This season is wonderful. They all look so good. I love Lucy and Lucie's style and their new hair do's, plus Gale looks quite handsome. All at their best this season and the quality! Oooh baby! And the special features?! Love it! MPI always does sooo great!

• 1 year later...

I just finished watching Lucy Is Really in a Pickle and noticed something I hadn't before. When Lucy is looking around for a place to rest after the rehearsal, she leans against a ladder which is spray painted with "L.B.P." Who knew that Lucille Ball Productions had a stake in Polly Parker's Perky Pickles promo production! LOL

I just finished watching Lucy Is Really in a Pickle and noticed something I hadn't before. When Lucy is looking around for a place to rest after the rehearsal, she leans against a ladder which is spray painted with "L.B.P." Who knew that Lucille Ball Productions had a stake in Polly Parker's Perky Pickles promo production! LOL

Yeah, that's one drawback to these crystal clear episodes, we now notice EVERYTHING!

This is one of my all-time favorite Here's Lucy's episodes. It ranks right up there with the Burton/Taylor episode.

Archived