Here's Lucy (Season 5) - First 2 Episodes

I've just watched the first 2 episodes of Season 5 of Here's Lucy.

I have to say: The quality of the writing of those first 2 episodes is very good. (Bob & Madelyn's handiwork !) And as Mr. Oppenheimer says in the intro to the first episode, Lucy manages to maintain our interest in spite of the limitations on her ability to do physical bits.

What a shame that more of the other episodes of the series (eg. anything with fake gorillas) were not up to these standards.

I've just watched the first 2 episodes of Season 5 of Here's Lucy.

I have to say: The quality of the writing of those first 2 episodes is very good. (Bob & Madelyn's handiwork !) And as Mr. Oppenheimer says in the intro to the first episode, Lucy manages to maintain our interest in spite of the limitations on her ability to do physical bits.

What a shame that more of the other episodes of the series (eg. anything with fake gorillas) were not up to these standards.

If you liked the first two episodes that much, I think you will enjoy the rest of the season. There are no outside writers used, so I think this is the most consistent season. You won't see a single wild animal here! :D

If you liked the first two episodes that much, I think you will enjoy the rest of the season. There are no outside writers used, so I think this is the most consistent season. You won't see a single wild animal here! :D

The funny thing is: I hear that Season 6 was among the weakest of the Seasons. If that's true, then it's strange how the show could deteriorate so much in the space of one year. From what I've read, it seems that Season 6 was almost an afterthought. Was the decline in ratings in Season 6 related to weaker writing? Or perhaps the audience was changing?

The funny thing is: I hear that Season 6 was among the weakest of the Seasons. If that's true, then it's strange how the show could deteriorate so much in the space of one year. From what I've read, it seems that Season 6 was almost an afterthought. Was the decline in ratings in Season 6 related to weaker writing? Or perhaps the audience was changing?

I personally think season six is the best after season five. The season starts off weaker than the previous season. It takes a few episodes for there to be a Bob and Madelyn show, but a majority of the last batch of episodes are among the series best. I think the ratings decline could be attributed to the competition on the other networks. NBC was showing rather recent movies against the show. Also, by this point, Lucy was the only star of the Golden Age of Television to still have a series. Everyone else had been cancelled.

Too much Lucie, not enough LUCY! :lucy2::lucie::hlLOL:

Too much Lucie, not enough LUCY! :lucy2::lucie::hlLOL:

Lucie had to do more during this season because of Lucy's broken leg, right? Anyway she's pretty talented. I liked that Ruth Buzzi episode. That girl could really dance. Where the heck did she learn to do that? :marionstrong:

I personally think season six is the best after season five. The season starts off weaker than the previous season. It takes a few episodes for there to be a Bob and Madelyn show, but a majority of the last batch of episodes are among the series best. I think the ratings decline could be attributed to the competition on the other networks....You won't see a single wild animal here!

I agree thoroughly about season 6. "NG as RN" "Where's Wandering Mother?" "Fights System" "Lucy Meets Lucille Ball" and the surprisingly good (considering the writers) "MJ's Boyfriend" are among the best HL episodes and were all run during the show's last 2 months.

I haven't received my season 5 yet, but it starts out stronger than any other season with 3 winners right in a row.

Are you telling me there wasn't ONE animal in season 5? If so, is it the only season that doesn't feature one? Poor Jonas was probably in a panic.

Lucie had to do more during this season because of Lucy's broken leg, right? Anyway she's pretty talented. I liked that Ruth Buzzi episode. That girl could really dance. Where the heck did she learn to do that? :marionstrong:

She learned to do a lot of it on the show of course and did some on and off Broadway, maybe she should have done more variety shows to showcase that musical talent.

They would say to her, "You're going to tap dance on the show next week. Learn!"

I agree thoroughly about season 6. "NG as RN" "Where's Wandering Mother?" "Fights System" "Lucy Meets Lucille Ball" and the surprisingly good (considering the writers) "MJ's Boyfriend" are among the best HL episodes and were all run during the show's last 2 months.

I haven't received my season 5 yet, but it starts out stronger than any other season with 3 winners right in a row.

Are you telling me there wasn't ONE animal in season 5? If so, is it the only season that doesn't feature one? Poor Jonas was probably in a panic.

There were animals in season 5. In "Franchise Fiasco," Lucy's penguin costume attracts penguins that escaped from the nearby zoo.

I think what happened to "Here's Lucy" in season six is that ABC's Monday Night Footbal became extremely popular during the 1973-74 season and in the beginning of the season NBC was really loading up on blockbuster movie titles and Lucy also had to contend with the ABC Monday Night Movie (big titles) after football ended. If you look at the final ratings for the 1973-74 season "Here's Lucy" finished in 29th place with a 20.0 rating and 31% share of audience. That is not such a bad rating cosidering the competition but it wasn't the norm for a Lucy series. Lucy had never finished out of the Top 15 shows. But there was still an audience for Lucy because the shows that followed Lucy on Monday (The New Dick Van Dyke Show and Medical Center) were way behind in the ratings. During the second half of the season (1973-74) "Here's Lucy" started getting stronger in the Nielsen ratings. Here's Lucy rating during the first half of the season was a 19.2 rating and during the second half it scored a 20.8 rating. That's a 1.6 rating increase. It also finished number one in its' timeslot from 9:00-9:30 pm during the second half of the season. I also think another factor for the decline in ratings was comedy was changing and CBS had a lot of hits like "All in the Family," "Mary Tyler Moore," "Maude," and "Bob Newhart." Lucy was the last of the Golden Age of Television performers and I think CBS felt her kind of humor wasn't popular anymore. Lucy had wanted to end her series at the end of season five. It still had good ratings during the 1972-73 season and finsihed with a 21.9 rating and 33% share and was number one in its' time slot. I really don't think Lucy wanted to come back for a sixth season because she was also busy with Mame and its' release. It was Fred Silverman who convinced here to return for a sixth and final season. In my opinion, Lucy should have quit at the end of season five but I will say that the second half of "Here's Lucy" during the sixth season did improve creatively. The first half of the sixth season of "Here's Lucy" seemed a bit rushed and sloppy. There were only four episodes I enjoyed from September 1973 through January 7th 1974 - Lucy Gives Eddie Albert The Old Song & Dance, Lucy and Chuck Connors, "Lucy Plays Cops & Robbers," and "Lucy and Joan Rivers Do Jury Duty. "Here's Lucy" still went out with style and as I said before finsihed in Nielsen's Top 30. When CBS' big hits like Mary Tyler Moore, Maude, Archie Bunker's Place, Rhoda, Bob Newhart, and Good Times came to an end not one of them had the rating Lucy had during the 1973-74 season.

This is great information. I've always been interested in ratings. Other than the 1971 cancellation of Mayberry RFD #15 (down from its 1st 2 seasons at #4) and The Jim Nabors Hour" also at HL's #29(down from the first season at #12), I don't know of any show other than Here's Lucy that was canceled with as high a rating. Many other shows were renewed for the 74-75 season that were rated lower. HL's audience was roughly equal to that of Carol Burnett which had 3 more seasons to go. The 1971 cancellations (Mayberry, Nabors) had more to do with the FCC scaling back network prime time by 1/2 hr. a night. WHY would the government get involved in this? In retrospect: a silly decision which did not have the outcome they wanted: opening the door to independent producers to prime time. Contrary to popular belief the other 'hayseed' shows that were cancelled "Beverly Hillbillies" and "Green Acres" did not go out with high ratings and after 9 and 6 season respectively, they had more than run their course. Rumors circulated that HL was on the same chopping block but that doesn't seem likely since it was CBS's highest rated show of the 1970-71 season and the only comedy to make the top 10. (MTM and All in Family had yet to catch on)

I think what happened to "Here's Lucy" in season six is that ABC's Monday Night Footbal became extremely popular during the 1973-74 season and in the beginning of the season NBC was really loading up on blockbuster movie titles and Lucy also had to contend with the ABC Monday Night Movie (big titles) after football ended. If you look at the final ratings for the 1973-74 season "Here's Lucy" finished in 29th place with a 20.0 rating and 31% share of audience. That is not such a bad rating cosidering the competition but it wasn't the norm for a Lucy series. Lucy had never finished out of the Top 15 shows. But there was still an audience for Lucy because the shows that followed Lucy on Monday (The New Dick Van Dyke Show and Medical Center) were way behind in the ratings. During the second half of the season (1973-74) "Here's Lucy" started getting stronger in the Nielsen ratings. Here's Lucy rating during the first half of the season was a 19.2 rating and during the second half it scored a 20.8 rating. That's a 1.6 rating increase. It also finished number one in its' timeslot from 9:00-9:30 pm during the second half of the season. I also think another factor for the decline in ratings was comedy was changing and CBS had a lot of hits like "All in the Family," "Mary Tyler Moore," "Maude," and "Bob Newhart." Lucy was the last of the Golden Age of Television performers and I think CBS felt her kind of humor wasn't popular anymore. Lucy had wanted to end her series at the end of season five. It still had good ratings during the 1972-73 season and finsihed with a 21.9 rating and 33% share and was number one in its' time slot. I really don't think Lucy wanted to come back for a sixth season because she was also busy with Mame and its' release. It was Fred Silverman who convinced here to return for a sixth and final season. In my opinion, Lucy should have quit at the end of season five but I will say that the second half of "Here's Lucy" during the sixth season did improve creatively. The first half of the sixth season of "Here's Lucy" seemed a bit rushed and sloppy. There were only four episodes I enjoyed from September 1973 through January 7th 1974 - Lucy Gives Eddie Albert The Old Song & Dance, Lucy and Chuck Connors, "Lucy Plays Cops & Robbers," and "Lucy and Joan Rivers Do Jury Duty. "Here's Lucy" still went out with style and as I said before finsihed in Nielsen's Top 30. When CBS' big hits like Mary Tyler Moore, Maude, Archie Bunker's Place, Rhoda, Bob Newhart, and Good Times came to an end not one of them had the rating Lucy had during the 1973-74 season.

This is great information. I've always been interested in ratings. Other than the 1971 cancellation of Mayberry RFD #15 (down from its 1st 2 seasons at #4) and The Jim Nabors Hour" also at HL's #29(down from the first season at #12), I don't know of any show other than Here's Lucy that was canceled with as high a rating. Many other shows were renewed for the 74-75 season that were rated lower. HL's audience was roughly equal to that of Carol Burnett which had 3 more seasons to go. The 1971 cancellations (Mayberry, Nabors) had more to do with the FCC scaling back network prime time by 1/2 hr. a night. WHY would the government get involved in this? In retrospect: a silly decision which did not have the outcome they wanted: opening the door to independent producers to prime time. Contrary to popular belief the other 'hayseed' shows that were cancelled "Beverly Hillbillies" and "Green Acres" did not go out with high ratings and after 9 and 6 season respectively, they had more than run their course. Rumors circulated that HL was on the same chopping block but that doesn't seem likely since it was CBS's highest rated show of the 1970-71 season and the only comedy to make the top 10. (MTM and All in Family had yet to catch on)

The year before Here's Lucy ended, CBS cancelled Bridget Loves Bernie, which was number five in the ratings. The network claimed it was losing too much of an audience from their lead-in All in the Family, but it's always been believed it was cancelled because of its controversial interfaith marriage plotline. Following Bridget Loves Bernie on the schedule, was Mary Tyler Moore, which was ranked number seven - its highest rated season. It's always said Mary Tyler Moore left the airwaves in 1977 at the top of the ratings, but it was actually in 39th place. That's ten places lower than Here's Lucy three seasons earlier. Phlyllis was one place lower - 40th place (a big drop from #6 the previous season) and cancelled by CBS. CBS was no longer the ratings powerhouse it was just three years earlier.

The year before Here's Lucy ended, CBS cancelled Bridget Loves Bernie, which was number five in the ratings. The network claimed it was losing too much of an audience from their lead-in All in the Family, but it's always been believed it was cancelled because of its controversial interfaith marriage plotline. Following Bridget Loves Bernie on the schedule, was Mary Tyler Moore, which was ranked number seven - its highest rated season. It's always said Mary Tyler Moore left the airwaves in 1977 at the top of the ratings, but it was actually in 39th place. That's ten places lower than Here's Lucy three seasons earlier. Phlyllis was one place lower - 40th place (a big drop from #6 the previous season) and cancelled by CBS. CBS was no longer the ratings powerhouse it was just three years earlier.

I don't know who let these posts be submitted on TV.com, but it annoys me how people's opinions make it onto the notes section. For 6x01, it says "These episodes are among the worst." And for a few others, it says "this is a weak and unfunny script." I've barely even seen season 6 (only a few episodes) but I think, had it gone another year, it probably would not have done well in the ratings, period.

The year before Here's Lucy ended, CBS cancelled Bridget Loves Bernie, which was number five in the ratings. The network claimed it was losing too much of an audience from their lead-in All in the Family, but it's always been believed it was cancelled because of its controversial interfaith marriage plotline.

I never bought the idea that Bridget Loves Bernie was cancelled because of the controversial premise. In the era of "All in the Family", was interfaith marriage such a big deal? It was just a nothing show (not good, not bad), a single-camera laugh track sitcom that was the definitive time slot hit, not up to the standards of the remainder of the 2-hour comedy block ("Family" "MTM" "Bob Newhart") CBS realized they probably could have scheduled the Here's Lucy spin off "The Sid-Vonda Comedy Hour" and that would have garnered equal ratings. Though I didn't realize BLB was NUMBER FIVE for the season.

episode #1: "Eat Hearty!" When the boss puts a stop to his "booth rental" scam, Sam (Sid Gould) starts supplementing the family food budget with left-overs from the coffee shop consisting mainly of starchy rolls and donuts which prompts his plump wife Vonda to do 'roly-polies' down the stairs in an effort to maintain her gorgeous figure.

I don't know who let these posts be submitted on TV.com, but it annoys me how people's opinions make it onto the notes section. For 6x01, it says "These episodes are among the worst." And for a few others, it says "this is a weak and unfunny script." I've barely even seen season 6 (only a few episodes) but I think, had it gone another year, it probably would not have done well in the ratings, period.

I think the end of Here's Lucy season 6 had great shows and ratings would have stayed the same. I think Lucy would have done great in a series during the nostagla craze for the 50s circa 1977 and 1978. Happy Days and Lavrene and Shirley were at the top of the ratings then and Lucy's special Lucy Calls the President was #12.

Archived