Lucy Moves to NBC Reviews

Combing as in horizontal lines across the image. If you go to DVDbeaver.com a lot of their reviews mentions combing in the visuals of several DVDs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlaced_video

Thank you. This is still better than my old Beta or VHS copies of things though. And those annoying lines will stay on those pictures forever thanks to dvd quality, LOL! On Blu Ray, they'll probably be even crisper.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw some of the special features tonght so far. I think the Bob Hope clip is one of Lucy's best with Bob. She is so happy, pretty, radiant, and enjoyable. The introduction to Lucy Moves to NBC is interesting commennt on Lucy and the big special. I love Lucy's face in some of the outakes. She is having a ball and making such great expressions. She never lost her ability to make you laugh when you look at her. I thought besides this special and the Bungle Abbey pilot Lucy did three other pilots for NBC but I want confirmation on that. They said Lucy's deal with NBC made her committed to be on the Bob Hope specials but is this an old wives tale?

I saw some of the special features tonght so far. I think the Bob Hope clip is one of Lucy's best with Bob. She is so happy, pretty, radiant, and enjoyable. The introduction to Lucy Moves to NBC is interesting commennt on Lucy and the big special. I love Lucy's face in some of the outakes. She is having a ball and making such great expressions. She never lost her ability to make you laugh when you look at her. I thought besides this special and the Bungle Abbey pilot Lucy did three other pilots for NBC but I want confirmation on that. They said Lucy's deal with NBC made her committed to be on the Bob Hope specials but is this an old wives tale?

Hey, Hope and award shows were two of her only GIGS at that time.

Apart from Gale and William Lanteau (who is also very good in NEWHART) the rest of the cast were dire. I wonder if it had made to a short lived season would Lucille have guest starred (a Mother Superior ?? )

Definitely, she always guested on shows to up their ratings.

The introduction to this special is cute and unique. I love Lucy’s facial expressions in this special as she says her wisecracks. The “Hello, Lucy” production number is funny as you watch Lucy’s facial expressions and is well done. Lucy and Johnny or Bob Hope work well together but Gary Coleman irritates me. Lucy and Gale’s reactions together are great. Once we see Lucy hire Gale Lucille became Lucy scrambling to follow Gale’s orders. That is classic. The “Singing in the Rain” dance number by Donald is not bad but not good. He cannot even get his steps to match the chorus girls. Lucy’s reaction to him pretending not wanting to get on stage with him melts her age away and their dance number together is superub. The Music Mart pilot is cute and funny at times. It seems somewhat old fashioned but compares to Happy Days a popular sitcom at the time. Gale inteacts great with Scotty as the loan officer. Lucy’s Sister Hitchcock is a classic performance. Lucy’s facial expressions steal the show and she sings “Bill Bailey” while shaking a mean tamborine. The Cogan family interacts nicely and Donald and Gloria’s number is sweet but old fashioned. However, Scotty’s banjo solo is breathtaking music. The ending where Lucy finds out Gary Coleman is now the president is not that funny. It should have ended with Lucy as Sister Hitchcock sighing as the Cogans walk away.

Bungle Abbey is cute but not that funny.

I love Let's Talk to Lucy. After joking with Bob which she does naturally she promotes National Children's Book week and talks about nurturing children's curiousity. It is a heartfelt revelation how Lucy really felt about raising children and is very honest and upfront.

The Lucy guest appearance on Bob Hope's special is one of her best. She is cute and hilarious as she does the skit and it is great to see Doris and Gary alongside her.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=T7orAAAAIBAJ&sjid=2-UFAAAAIBAJ&pg=3650,6904242&dq=lucille+ball&hl=en

This quote comes from the Lawrence Journal World 10/27/1985. It states "Ball states she is disillusioned with television. She said that over the past several years she had directed five situation comedy pilots and that while all of them were purchased by the networks, none of them was broadcasted because in one fell swoop over the course of a weekend their promotors such as Fred Silverman, the former president of NBC, were dismissed." She then states she hates to promise young people and then disappoint them. What do you think of this quote? It appears more happened at NBC then we know. Of course, Bungle Abbey and Music Mart did broadcast on television. I think Music Mart might have lasted at least a season if it had been promoted well and Lucy guest starred as Sister Hitchcock occasionally. Bungle Abbey I don't think stood a chance. I couldn't get into it except for a few jokes.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=T7orAAAAIBAJ&sjid=2-UFAAAAIBAJ&pg=3650,6904242&dq=lucille+ball&hl=en

This quote comes from the Lawrence Journal World 10/27/1985. It states "Ball states she is disillusioned with television. She said that over the past several years she had directed five situation comedy pilots and that while all of them were purchased by the networks, none of them was broadcasted because in one fell swoop over the course of a weekend their promotors such as Fred Silverman, the former president of NBC, were dismissed." She then states she hates to promise young people and then disappoint them. What do you think of this quote? It appears more happened at NBC then we know. Of course, Bungle Abbey and Music Mart did broadcast on television. I think Music Mart might have lasted at least a season if it had been promoted well and Lucy guest starred as Sister Hitchcock occasionally. Bungle Abbey I don't think stood a chance. I couldn't get into it except for a few jokes.

I've heard Lucy say she directed five TV pilots before. Lucy was counting Ethel Merman's Maggie Brown, which was produced in 1963, and she didn't direct, and Glynis with Glynis Johns, which was also from 1963, not directed by Lucy, and actually was a series. This was a case of Lucy remembering things not the way they exactly happened.

Archived