A Lucy Bio headed for Broadway

mickie

No, I don't know. Not to keep beating a dead horse, but since nothing in particular comes to mind on why you think the material was sub-par, how would you have improved it?

OMG will you let this drop already, i saw the clips a while back and i'm old, i didn't take notes to debate that material with you, i just found her GREAT and the material lacking. I am not a professional writer, and that's what Sue could use. I also saw one of Lucie's shows and in it she took another dig at her mom, hence my opinion on her writing expertize i guess. But don't ask me anything about that either because it has all disapeared into the cobwebs of my mind. Not that important.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And i will never take away from the fact that she is beautiful, amazingly youthful looking for her age, very talented as a singer/dancer, she was terrific in movies, quite capable on tv shows getting better and better year after year and she seems to have raised some great kids. My O N L Y problem with her is what she's said about her mom over the years, the woman who gave her life and a career and the means to be able to work and raise kids in today's economy and the sad state of show business today where so many no talents rule while great performers like her cannot find work. Even the crack you list above, yet another dig at her mom, who really was a superstar, but still managed to be a great wife and mother AS WELL AS BEING ONE OF THE GREATEST PERFORMERS OF ALL TIME. The main reason Lucie is known at all today is BECAUSE her mother nurtured her many talents, gave her a job on her show, and left her the money to be able to do what she wants today. Yes, it must be annoying to have people tell you how much they loved your mom, but other stars like Liza were able to go on and not tear down their mom in the process.

I think Liza's erased everything negative from her mind.

My post (I was not directly quoting Lucie) was not saying Lucy was a bad wife or mother. It was saying the toll that being a superstar could have on a person. Lucy and Desi did I Love Lucy to save their marriage, but it didn't.

I have been to many events with Lucie where she has said nothing but wonderful things about her mother and barely mentioned her father at all.

Even the crack you list above, yet another dig at her mom

Calling that a "dig at her mom" is reaching. Very far.

Yes, it must be annoying to have people tell you how much they loved your mom, but other stars like Liza were able to go on and not tear down their mom in the process.

It must also be annoying for her to be in her sixties and have people harping on and on about out-of-context quotes taken from her in her thirties and have the continually thrown back in her face despite going far beyond the call of duty -- beyond any stretch of the imagination -- to ensure her mother's legacy lives on not only for herself, her brother, and their collective children and grandchildren, but for fans around the globe.

Also, where have you seen all of these clips that amount to practically the whole show? The four minute promo piece on YouTube?

No, somebody sent me about two thirds of the show. Same as Lucie's concert but seeing as it was taped without permission, i then sent them back, don't want to get sued. :lucythrill:

Calling that a "dig at her mom" is reaching. Very far.

It must also be annoying for her to be in her sixties and have people harping on and on about out-of-context quotes taken from her in her thirties and have the continually thrown back in her face despite going far beyond the call of duty -- beyond any stretch of the imagination -- to ensure her mother's legacy lives on not only for herself, her brother, and their collective children and grandchildren, but for fans around the globe.

The only thing she wants to endure in her mom's legacy is the money it puts in her pockets, ok Lucie fan? :lucythrill:

OMG will you let this drop already

I just want to know if you actually "hated" it because of the content (and if anything in particular jumped out at you) or simply because Lucie is/was involved so you're hating it on principle. lol

I think Liza's erased everything negative from her mind.

My post (I was not directly quoting Lucie) was not saying Lucy was a bad wife or mother. It was saying the toll that being a superstar could have on a person. Lucy and Desi did I Love Lucy to save their marriage, but it didn't.

I have been to many events with Lucie where she has said nothing but wonderful things about her mother and barely mentioned her father at all.

Well, why on earth don't you mention some of those so i could finally move on from thinking she still resents her mother's success but idolizes everything her father did. And even Liza's name brought forth bad memories as that story of Lucie ridiculing her for some of her past actions told to me by someone who was THERE when it happened.

Well, why on earth don't you mention some of those so i could finally move on from thinking she still resents her mother's success but idolizes everything her father did.

I'm not sure what you're looking for here, but her Paley Center seminar with Robert Osborne was all about her mother and her father was barely mentioned. The same with several Jamestown events.

I just want to know if you actually "hated" it because of the content (and if anything in particular jumped out at you) or simply because Lucie is/was involved so you're hating it on principle. lol

Yes, it W A S weak material and Sue deserves better because her impression is the best in the world, i swear to God i did not know Lucie had anything to do with it until i read it here earlier. And Lucie's not a writer as far as i know, her main contribution would be the facts as she was THERE at the time or knows what happened in various situations. I'll never forget Sue's appearance on that Rosie O'donnell show where Rosie said the next day people were bothered by seeing a dead celebrity and it had caused some kind of uproar. Well, yeah, i can understand that because she B E C A M E LUcy for that short sketch or appearance and it was unsettling to see Lucy Ricardo, circa the fifties, appearing on stage and being so damned great at imitating her.

I'm not sure what you're looking for here, but her Paley Center seminar with Robert Osborne was all about her mother and her father was barely mentioned. The same with several Jamestown events.

Thank you, have not seen anything where she does this. The BEST thing she ever did was that song, My Mother the Star at the TV Hall of Fame, now THAT was a fine tribute that she had me believing every word she said. She and her brother taking over the 50th anniversary special to sing that Patria crap however . . . . and many critics agreed with me on that one. :lucythrill:

No, but thanks for asking! :lucythrill:

Do you remember at all how upset people were, fans really, with the Mommie Dearest book? Well, i felt the same way about these constant comments. Same thing about the Bette Davis one, Mother Goddamned. We R E A L fans never forget and always defend as she's not here to do it herself. BUT, i only resent this one thing about Lucie, now gary, that's another story, him i could go on all day, LOL! And the way Lucie defended him saying HE'S THE ONLY LIVING GRANDPARENT MY KIDS KNOW. In the meantime he was going around town, Sinatra's house even, putting Lucy down, the woman who also gave him everything he ever owned. It seems so ungrateful.

Thank you, have not seen anything where she does this. The BEST thing she ever did was that song, My Mother the Star at the TV Hall of Fame, now THAT was a fine tribute that she had me believing every word she said. She and her brother taking over the 50th anniversary special to sing that Patria crap however . . . . and many critics agreed with me on that one. :lucythrill:

They gave a tour of Lucy's childhood home and going to Cuba was out of the question, so why shouldn't they do something about their father's homeland? (I don't know why I'm even responding, you're never going to agree with me.)

They gave a tour of Lucy's childhood home and going to Cuba was out of the question, so why shouldn't they do something about their father's homeland? (I don't know why I'm even responding, you're never going to agree with me.)

I always skip over that part of an otherwise terrific show, well, the other thing that bugged me were all those people who had nothing to do with them being on like larry king, but ok i see your point but most critics said they were foisting THEMSELVES on us, a clip of HIM performing i would not have minded so much.

:viv1: That was quite a bit before my time.

Well, that's the argument right there, i have been a Lucy fan for over fifty five years and was there back then, reading everything she said about her mom and little Desi never did that and even defended her in her WICKED WITCH OF THE WEST period when she was rejecting the patty duke child, which ended up not being his at all and that wingnut was lying and off her trolley. That to me is the difference between a grateful and ungrateful child.

I've only seen the clips on YouTube of Suzanne's thing, but from what I saw it looked decent enough. Maybe those were the only good parts...I guess?? I'd still go see it.

Kinda makes you wonder what kind of play about Desi Lucie and Larry could put on, but I don't know if I'd be interested in one about him. Sorry, I have to agree with Claude here, just not that interested in the Cuban. Okay, mostly the Latin music I'm not a fan of and you'd know it would be more a musical than a play about Desi's life.

Gary was badmouthing Lucy to Frank Sinatra? He was probably resentful because Lucy was still in love with Desi. Or he was having a bad toupee day. Maybe he found a tiny scratch on one of his beloved Rolls Royces. :marionstrong:

Yeah, it was in one of the Sinatra bios, one of his closest workers/friends said that he aws always coming to the house in Palm Springs after she died to bitch about her and wondered why Sinatra put up with it.

I've only seen the clips on YouTube of Suzanne's thing, but from what I saw it looked decent enough. Maybe those were the only good parts...I guess?? I'd still go see it.

Kinda makes you wonder what kind of play about Desi Lucie and Larry could put on, but I don't know if I'd be interested in one about him. Sorry, I have to agree with Claude here, just not that interested in the Cuban. Okay, mostly the Latin music I'm not a fan of and you'd know it would be more a musical than a play about Desi's life.

Don't get me wrong, it's good but with the material punched up a bit, it would be better, i recommend EVERYBODY see it, Suzanne is absolutely incredible. I have nothing against Desi, he was a great straight man for her antics on the show and his music was excellent, although i was surprised that he wasn't considered a great singer by critics back then, i thought he was terrific, a real showman like Chevalier, he gave it his all. I understand the reason Lucie worshipped him so, he had them for Holidays and during the summer break from school, she had them during the school year and instead of horses and swimming with him, it was discipline and studying and off to bed early with her. But this constant foisting him on us when Lucy is the one remembered the world over for her timeless comedy, i understand that with the US now being more and more Spanish, that his resurgence seems appropriate and even desired but hey, i'm Lucy's biggest fan, the other ones around her were secondary to me. The fact that he was the love of her life makes me more fond of him but what he put her through though i find hard to dismiss as easily as his daughter does. Maybe Lucie was closer to her dad and Desi jr closer to his mom, i dunno. Putting her personal feelings aside about drugs and alcohol and actually going to therapy with him shows just how much she cared more about her son than her General Foods image. And every time i hear Lucy praise everything about Lucie it makes those criticisms that Lucie levels at her so hard to stomach.

Don't get me wrong, it's good but with the material punched up a bit, it would be better, i recommend EVERYBODY see it, Suzanne is absolutely incredible. I have nothing against Desi, he was a great straight man for her antics on the show and his music was excellent, although i was surprised that he wasn't considered a great singer by critics back then, i thought he was terrific, a real showman like Chevalier, he gave it his all. I understand the reason Lucie worshipped him so, he had them for Holidays and during the summer break from school, she had them during the school year and instead of horses and swimming with him, it was discipline and studying and off to bed early with her. But this constant foisting him on us when Lucy is the one remembered the world over for her timeless comedy, i understand that with the US now being more and more Spanish, that his resurgence seems appropriate and even desired but hey, i'm Lucy's biggest fan, the other ones around her were secondary to me. The fact that he was the love of her life makes me more fond of him but what he put her through though i find hard to dismiss as easily as his daughter does. Maybe Lucie was closer to her dad and Desi jr closer to his mom, i dunno. Putting her personal feelings aside about drugs and alcohol and actually going to therapy with him shows just how much she cared more about her son than her General Foods image. And every time i hear Lucy praise everything about Lucie it makes those criticisms that Lucie levels at her so hard to stomach.

Yep, I agree totally with you here.

Yeah, it was in one of the Sinatra bios, one of his closest workers/friends said that he aws always coming to the house in Palm Springs after she died to bitch about her and wondered why Sinatra put up with it.

Of course he waited until after she died. He was too chickenshit to confront her when she was still around. It's kinda funny really.

Of course he waited until after she died. He was too chickenshit to confront her when she was still around. It's kinda funny really.

Yeah, loved that bit in Lee Tannen's book about Lee going over to the Roxbury house after she passed on and gary's moving this plant to the bedroom or something, saying he can finally do what he wants now that she's gone. Thank God she had that house sold and he didn't get to live like a King in it for the next ten years although he did squeeze three more in that house as they couldn't sell it and they had to kick him out of there when they finally did.

She might have constantly praised and elevated her men in the eyes of the public but she was the one who weilded A L L the power in those two relationships. She had the talent, the brains and certainly handled her money well to not be extravagant but live well for the rest of her life.

Archived