That was kind of gross, huh? Pedophile much?? :lucydisgust:

That scene while probably in the book Mame was based on seems odd to be included since Lucy had high morals. That was the worse scene in the whole movie by far. I agree the Christmas scene too was very cheesy and unrealistic.

• 3 months later...

That's great! I've always wanted to see Mame on the big screen. It looks like the theater is also showing Myra Breckenridge and Berserk!, so I hope the audience isn't too mean sprited. :(

I saw it on opening day on the biggest screen in Montreal at a very old theater and it was great on the B I G screen, today, they saved part of the facade but it's being turned into condos. :lucydisgust:

BUT... I sitll think Mame is a great, fun filled, wonderfully peppy movie and really.. WHO else, in that time era could have pulled it off?

YES, true, but the era of the big screen musical was dead at that time, only came back with CHICAGO decades later. I loved every minute of it, Lucy never looked lovelier in that expensive wardrobe and although i would have liked more comedy. The MAME number is my favorite, with the Loving You montage a close runner up.

• 3 weeks later...

I would have to say my FAVORITE Mame moment is the part where she is walking to her car.. leaving the Upson's house with Patrick on her arm...this moment on film is some of the best acting Lucille Ball has ever given.. and when she sings If He Walked Into My Life.. I tear up every time.. I know she isnn't the best singer.. but the FEELING.. the PHRASING of how confused she is.. she wants to know what she did wrong for this kid to end up the way he was ending up.. With the film montage of her blankly walking around and reminising of all the fun times they had together... It is a VERY touching moment that I feel doesn't get enough recognition...

I would have to say my FAVORITE Mame moment is the part where she is walking to her car.. leaving the Upson's house with Patrick on her arm...this moment on film is some of the best acting Lucille Ball has ever given.. and when she sings If He Walked Into My Life.. I tear up every time.. I know she isnn't the best singer.. but the FEELING.. the PHRASING of how confused she is.. she wants to know what she did wrong for this kid to end up the way he was ending up.. With the film montage of her blankly walking around and reminising of all the fun times they had together... It is a VERY touching moment that I feel doesn't get enough recognition...

I agree. Lucy is so great at this and any dramatic scene. She puts her heart here and the lighting and scenry enhance this scene. Lucy knew pain so you can see how natural it is for her to be herself here or in the opening scene to Catherine curtis.

• Like 1

How about her singing and dancing in the opening number It's Today? And with a broken leg yet!

Even though I've watched this movie countless times.

Can I say I never can get over how damn gorgeous she is in this film.?

Her outfits looked so marvelous on her plus all the wigs were beautiful! Whatta beauty. :)

Yes, she was a hot piece of somethin' somethin', considering she was 62 when that was made. :marionstrong:

Fact! I could not. I don't have as fabulous legs as her either. Then the skates, I would fall and die. Lol. Or at least I would need to get surgery on my knee again. Lol.

That's what i mean about how much she had GUTS, who the hell gets on skates to do a joke routine in a movie right after breaking her leg while just standing there on the slopes and some idiot bashes into her and she has to have pins in her gorgeous leg for the rest of her life? :lucydisgust::lucythrill:

That's what i mean about how much she had GUTS, who the hell gets on skates to do a joke routine in a movie right after breaking her leg while just standing there on the slopes and some idiot bashes into her and she has to have pins in her gorgeous leg for the rest of her life? :lucydisgust::lucythrill:

People are so careless. But Lucy gave so much dedication into this film and gave it her all after the fact. She's even lucky she healed pretty well!

I think that's why I hold this film so close to me. She gave it her all and worked her ass off for this film and wanted so bad for it to be a success. My favorite part of the film is the last 30 minutes, I feel she truly became that character in those scenes. She never got any recognition that she deserved with this film.

• Like 1

People are so careless. But Lucy gave so much dedication into this film and gave it her all after the fact. She's even lucky she healed pretty well!

I think that's why I hold this film so close to me. She gave it her all and worked her ass off for this film and wanted so bad for it to be a success. My favorite part of the film is the last 30 minutes, I feel she truly became that character in those scenes. She never got any recognition that she deserved with this film.

Hear Hear!

First, it was a woman's picture and therefore passe, second it was a musical in an era where musicals were finished. Another film Lucy wanted to do was Hello Dolly but that bombed also, directed by Gene Kelly yet and starring a woman who was too young for the part, Streisand, whereas with this one, they said Lucy was too old for the part and they made fun of her for trying to hide her age, make up your mind jerks, my favorite part after the Mame number is the Loving You medly, especially the scene where she's dancing in that long black gown in the ballroom. You can only imagine how Lucy felt, doing a dance sequence in a big splashy musical like the ones she started in with Astaire and Rogers where she only had bit parts, well now, she WAS the STAR! :peachonthebeach::hlLOL::D

I'm that age now and couldn't possibly do what she did in that movie without an oxygen tank by my side at all times. :lucydisgust::lucyhorror::lucythrill:

Oh, come on! Onna White could get you in shape and when Beau said "You know why, Claude? 'Cause you've done more for the north than anyone since Robert Goulet", you'd rise to the occasion.

("Who makes the bored webmaster turn purple and then mutter 'oh, my God'?")

Not to quibble but Lucy was a mere 61, not 62, during the filming of "Mame" which was done from January to June in 1973.

Considering Lucy's healing leg, her conquering the Mame choreography is even more impressive. Especially the last stanza of the song with the high kicking---landing with so much pressure on that leg.