Wow.... Really? Someone offers an opinion and jus because it doesn't coinside with the.majority....everyone wqnts him banned? And he is.a punk who dwells in a basement of.his.parents? C'mon half.the fun of this group is.its.diverse.acceptance of others...but lately im not so sure.... We are.here honoring a legend...not dissin each other for.our opinions... Well i love lucy as much as anyone here...but c'mon we know she wasn't giving here complete all in Mame....I love Mame...but many times I feel she cud hav been a bit better...specually in the opening.scenes...

We don't diss each other for varied opinions, we diss HIM for putting down our gal with nonsensical remarks, if you want to thrash her go elsewhere like Sitcoms online where that bunch of turkeys doesn't know it's asses from it's elbows.

• Like 1

Excuse me, did you not read the thread Brock posted a link to? We're all open to having different opinions on this board, but Yendor was an obnoxious asshole who only wanted to fire everyone up to get his jollies. You need to slow your roll.

I did't see it as him trying to stir the pot, just he wanting to state his opinion without backlash.....anyway he evidently is absent from this board.

I did't see it as him trying to stir the pot, just he wanting to state his opinion without backlash.....anyway he evidently is absent from this board.

I've come across some of his posts on the IMDB and it is quite clear, as Taylor said, that he is largely a professional troll.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Saw Mame tonight on stage for the first time. Interesting to see what stayed in and what didn't from stage to screen.

Stage-Mame works at a salon

Movie- Mame works at Macy's

Stage- That's How Young I Fell didn't make it to the movie.

Movie- Loving You was done for the movie.

Upsons-They were having a barn party and Mame was a chaparone. In the movie they sort of just crafted a new scene.

Funny thing is Auntie Mame is currently on TCM. I'm noticing so many similar lines from it to the musical stage version. These same lines didn't make it to the movie musical.

• 4 months later...

Mame trivia from the Warners Brothers Story book, a big one released in the late 70s with year by year summaries of all releases.  "Mame" was the #4 money maker for Warners in 1974 behind the runaway #1 "Excorcist", followed by "Magnum Force" and "Blazing Saddles", then "Mame", "Uptown Saturday Night" and  "Freebie and the Bean" (sounds like the alternate title of "Bean Queen").  The critical synopsis in the book is kinder to the movie than most:  "Comes alive in fits and starts" , finds the choreography lacked the razzle-dazzle of the stage versions but admits that the "Mame" number itself was stunning.  The inevitable reference to soft focus is handled this way "(with so many incarnations) the message of the movie is dulled as are the sharper features of Ball thanks to overuse of filters." (I'm paraphrasing). 

Here's something I didn't know: "Bosom Buddies" was excised for the British release!  I wonder how they went from "You look like you just came from a funeral" to "It's amazing we stayed such good friends since we dated the same men."

Without the plot line of Mame writing her autobiography as a lead-in to Vera and Mame's number, there's really no motivation for it in the movie, but without it, there's nothing fun musically after the "Mame" number. 

"Jane Connell was marvelous as Gooch", they said.  She does as much as she can, but I was never a fan of the "Gooch's Song" number from the Broadway album and I don't particularly like it in the movie.  In the original Auntie Mame, Patrick's governess and Gooch are two different characters.  But being that Gooch was his governess, I find it strange that, in the rewrite, grown up-Patrick treats her so badly.

• Like 2

Mame trivia from the Warners Brothers Story book, a big one released in the late 70s with year by year summaries of all releases.  "Mame" was the #4 money maker for Warners in 1974 behind the runaway #1 "Excorcist", followed by "Magnum Force" and "Blazing Saddles", then "Mame", "Uptown Saturday Night" and  "Freebie and the Bean" (sounds like the alternate title of "Bean Queen").  The critical synopsis in the book is kinder to the movie than most:  "Comes alive in fits and starts" , finds the choreography lacked the razzle-dazzle of the stage versions but admits that the "Mame" number itself was stunning.  The inevitable reference to soft focus is handled this way "(with so many incarnations) the message of the movie is dulled as are the sharper features of Ball thanks to overuse of filters." (I'm paraphrasing). 

Here's something I didn't know: "Bosom Buddies" was excised for the British release!  I wonder how they went from "You look like you just came from a funeral" to "It's amazing we stayed such good friends since we dated the same men."

Without the plot line of Mame writing her autobiography as a lead-in to Vera and Mame's number, there's really no motivation for it in the movie, but without it, there's nothing fun musically after the "Mame" number. 

"Jane Connell was marvelous as Gooch", they said.  She does as much as she can, but I was never a fan of the "Gooch's Song" number from the Broadway album and I don't particularly like it in the movie.  In the original Auntie Mame, Patrick's governess and Gooch are two different characters.  But being that Gooch was his governess, I find it strange that, in the rewrite, grown up-Patrick treats her so badly.

Their number four moneymaker, well, that's a relief and quite the shocker!

I always said the Mame number could have used an overhead shot or two. One of the movies biggest problems was cinematography.

Well you got an "underhead" shot with the fox-hunters leaping over the camera!  The shot with the dancers leaping around in a circle drew applause when I saw it originally, but it would have been better if the camera had been higher, but an overhead shot might have looked too Busby Berkely.  I don't know how they could have shot it differently BUT, it's not obvious just how high Lucy kicks (effortless, I might add) with the women during "we think you're just sensational, mame", higher than any of the women.

Well you got an "underhead" shot with the fox-hunters leaping over the camera!  The shot with the dancers leaping around in a circle drew applause when I saw it originally, but it would have been better if the camera had been higher, but an overhead shot might have looked too Busby Berkely.  I don't know how they could have shot it differently BUT, it's not obvious just how high Lucy kicks (effortless, I might add) with the women during "we think you're just sensational, mame", higher than any of the women.

And with pins in her leg after that skiing accident just months before.

• 1 month later...

Random thought:

Wouldn't Mame Dennis be more likely to scare the Upsons off with a live monkey rather than a BAKED one?  Thus providing Janos Prohaska with a screen role.

The hor d'oeuvres went from pickled rattlesnake (Roz) to bees (Angela) to the really inhumane (or should I say inhuMAME)  baked monkey.   Probably what Ernie the butcher had for Christmas dinner when the oxtails sold.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Upon popping in my copy tonight, I have a few questions for the experts. The Lucille Ball Film Collection lists "Luc(k)y Mame" as a documentary on the making of the movie. I think it's just a ten minute commercial. When exactly did this air and what was its purpose? Open A New Window sounds like it wasn't quite finished when they included it. Seriously, what was this thing?