Oh, please don't start this again - how do we know Lucy was "hissed at by the crowd" - I SO don't believe this! Who would hiss at someone???? Were you there??? Was anyone there who can verify this????

I'm sure I would have heard this somewhere had this actually happened.

This Ken Bloom put out the classiest book on Broadway musicals ever, full of never-before-seen (by me) pictures, so that's why this ridiculous 'hissing' comment in the movie musical counterpart book was such a surprise.

Perhaps the guy next to him was trying to get something out of his teeth.

• Like 1

I'm sure I would have heard this somewhere had this actually happened.

This Ken Bloom put out the classiest book on Broadway musicals ever, full of never-before-seen (by me) pictures, so that's why this ridiculous 'hissing' comment in the movie musical counterpart book was such a surprise.

Perhaps the guy next to him was trying to get something out of his teeth.

LOL! Or he's one of those guys who just can't stand a successful woman. So they make up stories to sell books.

• 3 weeks later...

Check this out....Many pics I've never seen (and I thought I had seen them all). Color shots of the LA Premiere. Color shots of Lucy Day. And what is the pic at 2:58 from? Is Lucy wearing glasses?

Sure looks like she is and it looks like an 80's picture

Check this out....Many pics I've never seen (and I thought I had seen them all). Color shots of the LA Premiere. Color shots of Lucy Day. And what is the pic at 2:58 from? Is Lucy wearing glasses?

Well, i know where i'll be for the next few days, that was just incredible to see, like you said Neil, some in there that i don't even recall ever seeing before, so beautiful and the song played at it's normal speed instead of the souped up version we always get on You Tube. THANKS SO MUCH FOR FINDING THIS AND PUTTING IT UP.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

In a recent magazine (People? Us? In Touch?--not sure, they're all the same), there was a little picture article (and aren't they all?) about actors signed for a part that were eventually replaced my other actors. As a insert to this article was a list of actors that SHOULD have been replaced and there was Lucy in Mame....ENOUGH ALREADY!!!

Not sure if I already mention the following:I was at a bar that was running showtune videos and they played Bosom Buddies. I eavesdropped on a comment that they had heard this movie was bad but really enjoyed this clip. Another comment

"Who's that singing with Lucy?" Answer from friend: PHYLLIS DILLER!!

These magazines: OY!!

Compare these to those of the 70s. They're as picture-laden as "Highlights for Children" (the magazine you always saw in the doctor's office). And one of them had the SAME HforC puzzle where you find what's different about two pictures. What's next? "Connect the Dots"? Remember when a magazine was something you actually had to read? the last third was pages of picture-less print (save for "enhance your bosom" ads on the side column), the continuation of articles from the first 2/3rds? Even a big magazine like "Life" had many full pages of print.

As speaking of "Highlights for Children", I always turned first to Goofus and Gallant. I saw one in a waiting room recently and they're still up to their old tricks! I say: when parents name their twins Goofus and Gallant just WHAT do they expect???

In a recent magazine (People? Us? In Touch?--not sure, they're all the same), there was a little picture article (and aren't they all?) about actors signed for a part that were eventually replaced my other actors. As a insert to this article was a list of actors that SHOULD have been replaced and there was Lucy in Mame....ENOUGH ALREADY!!!

Not sure if I already mention the following:I was at a bar that was running showtune videos and they played Bosom Buddies. I eavesdropped on a comment that they had heard this movie was bad but really enjoyed this clip. Another comment

"Who's that singing with Lucy?" Answer from friend: PHYLLIS DILLER!!

That's the thing, if something gets repeated often enough, people start believing it, for numerous examples,. see Fox news, also known as Faux news.

I thought that Desi advised her NOT to do this film... anybody know the real scoop?

You know, when something is a failure (or in Mame's case, perceived as one), everyone comes out of the woodwork to say they advised against it. "LWL" is another example.

Did anyone advise her against sticking her neck out for one of her successes? Wildcat? (which I categorize as a success based on her critical reception) Stone Pillow? or her blockbuster "Yours Mine and OUrs"...as in "Lucy, you're too old to play a pregnant woman". We don't think of it now, but returning to television in a series after I Love Lucy was a major gamble. There was no guarantee the public would accept her in "the Lucy Show". I wonder how successful TLS would have been if a) they had scheduled it in the time slot CBS originally wanted to: Sunday at 9 against Bonanza; or b ) if the Bobs and Madelyn had not been available and she had hired Milt J right off the bat. The trampoline would have given off a shower of sparks and smoke!

• Like 1