Which old stars got jobs with Lucy?

We all know Lucy finally got Bill back on her second series because Viv was gone, what other celebs got jobs through her who were not doing that well in the business or semi retired or fallen on hard times that any of you experts know of? Like her old flame, the director she was engaged to before Desi or she was living with him, and she gave him a job directing Forever Darling.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rudy Vallee was well past his sell-by date when he unleashed havoc on the HL set.

True, and Arthur Godfrey was a apprently anti semetic but Lucy gave him jobs because he had been kind to them when they did I Love Lucy, he was on before them and would tell his audience to stay tuned for her show, she never forgot that.

And when Lucy did the Flip Wilson show, one of the best comedians around in my opinion, Ed Sullivan guested and Lucy having been on Ed's show more than any other superstar, i fear that's the reason she never got upset when he accidentily copped a feel in the sketch they did together as Lucy knew of his onsetting senility at that point of his life.

And when Lucy did the Flip Wilson show, one of the best comedians around in my opinion, Ed Sullivan guested and Lucy having been on Ed's show more than any other superstar, i fear that's the reason she never got upset when he accidentily copped a feel in the sketch they did together as Lucy knew of his onsetting senility at that point of his life.

Ed totally knew what he was doing there. LOL

...every time what? That you stuffed one into a dancer's g-string? You'd only break even.

I laughed so hard i practically had a smile on after reading your retort, now how about getting back on topic so i could hear YOUR thoughts on who she helped out when they needed her the most, maybe even writers on her shows.

I laughed so hard i practically had a smile on after reading your retort, now how about getting back on topic so i could hear YOUR thoughts on who she helped out when they needed her the most, maybe even writers on her shows.

Well, Bob Cummings wasn't exactly a hot commodity anymore in 1972 or 1973. I don't know that he was needy per se.

Now, you're gonna drive me crazy, Claude. I've run across SO MANY in my research; that's why I've included those 'folk' who were born years before Lucille, and as many of her 'show' appearances in later years as I could find; if this chronology sells, there can be a follow-up on the ones I have to 're-work' much like my friend, Michael Karol; who does second editions, etc., on his encyclopedia of Lucille.

On page 209, The Lucy Book, Fidelman, for instance are those Lucille recognized and loved working with:

Here is an example from that page: [i'll think of more; but, it'll help me 'edit' as I go through pages and pages....] No sleep for the wicked...

John 'Red' Fox, Sid Gould, Bennett Green, Ray Kellogg, Lee Milllar, Louis Nicoletti, Barbara Pepper, Hazel Pierce, Marco Rizzo, Richard Reeves, Roy Rowan, Phil Vandervort, Karen Norris, Mary Jane Croft, Vanda Barra, Carole Cook, Mary Wickes, Doris Singleton, Frank Nelson, Charles Lane, Parley Baer, Bobby Jellison, Roy Roberts, Elvia Allman, Jerry Hausner, Jack Collins, William Lanteau, Hans Conried, Reta Shaw, Sandra Gould, Kathleen Freeman, Cliff Norton, Elliot Reid, Ross Elliott, Herb Vigran, Herbie Faye, Shirley Mitchell....

THANKS Mr. Fidelman

This just scratches the surface, however.....

Tune in tomorrow, and the next day, and the ....WELL, you get the idea!!!! Lovingly submitted, JK

Now, you're gonna drive me crazy, Claude. I've run across SO MANY in my research; that's why I've included those 'folk' who were born years before Lucille, and as many of her 'show' appearances in later years as I could find; if this chronology sells, there can be a follow-up on the ones I have to 're-work' much like my friend, Michael Karol; who does second editions, etc., on his encyclopedia of Lucille.

On page 209, The Lucy Book, Fidelman, for instance are those Lucille recognized and loved working with:

Here is an example from that page: [i'll think of more; but, it'll help me 'edit' as I go through pages and pages....] No sleep for the wicked...

John 'Red' Fox, Sid Gould, Bennett Green, Ray Kellogg, Lee Milllar, Louis Nicoletti, Barbara Pepper, Hazel Pierce, Marco Rizzo, Richard Reeves, Roy Rowan, Phil Vandervort, Karen Norris, Mary Jane Croft, Vanda Barra, Carole Cook, Mary Wickes, Doris Singleton, Frank Nelson, Charles Lane, Parley Baer, Bobby Jellison, Roy Roberts, Elvia Allman, Jerry Hausner, Jack Collins, William Lanteau, Hans Conried, Reta Shaw, Sandra Gould, Kathleen Freeman, Cliff Norton, Elliot Reid, Ross Elliott, Herb Vigran, Herbie Faye, Shirley Mitchell....

THANKS Mr. Fidelman

This just scratches the surface, however.....

Tune in tomorrow, and the next day, and the ....WELL, you get the idea!!!! Lovingly submitted, JK

Honey, i meant real S T A R S , big names past their prime, like Charles Lane, Kathleen Freeman although she was doing movies with Jerry Lewis, not friends, associates or supporting players on her shows. Good examples are the ones named so far, Bob Cummings, Rudy Vallee, maybe even Tallulah Bankhead. BIG names, past their prime but whom she got jobs for, like her old flame who directed Forever Darling.

Lucy tried to get Jean Arthur to hit the comeback trail. She didn't end up guesting on The Lucy Show, but it inspired her to get into television.

What did she end up doing? I do remember Lucy saying that on a Password show, that she was trying to get Jean to appear and the audience applauded, Jean was HUGE in the thirties and forties.

What did she end up doing? I do remember Lucy saying that on a Password show, that she was trying to get Jean to appear and the audience applauded, Jean was HUGE in the thirties and forties.

Jean ended up doing an episode of Gunsmoke and then, briefly, her own sitcom. After that, she never again acted before cameras.

I heard other possibilities were The Jean Show but people thought it would be a show about JEANS or Here's Jean or even the Jean Arthur comedy hour. Her comeback vehicle was envisioned as Life with Jean.

Eva Gabor wrote a book about her experiences living with Jean Arthur entitled "Life Viz Jane".

Archived