Which old stars got jobs with Lucy?

Jack Oakie, Lucille Ball's early film-career friend and co-star, Paramount's Murder At The Vanities, 1934; That Girl From Paris, 1937; and RKO Radio', Annabel Series, Annabel Takes A Tour, and The Affairs of Annabel, 1938; guest, Desilu Productions', Shower of Stars, “Burlesque”, and 'All-Star Line-Up”, 1955; as well as Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Real McCoys, 3 episodes, 1963; is born this date in 1903.

Jo Stafford, Lucille Ball co-star, DuBarry Was A Lady, uncredited role, 1943; guest Desilu Productions', Shower of Stars “Jack Benny Celebrates His 40th Birthday”, The Red Skelton Show “Friends of Red Skelton Variety Show”, and Shower of Stars “Episode 4.4”, 1958; as well as, Desi Arnaz IV, co-star/performer, The Mambo Kings, 1992, is born this date in 1917.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, why not, let's let 'the other shoe drop'....

Kathryn Card, veteran supporting cast member, (“I Love Lucy”), as Minnie Finch, “Fan Magazine Interview”, and Lucille Ball's TV mother, Mrs. McGillicuddy, “California, Here We Come”, “Ethel's Home Town”, “The Hedda Hopper Story”, “Don Juan is Shelved”, “Hollywood Anniversary”, “The Great Train Robbery”, and “In Palm Springs”, 1955; “Lucy Gets Homesick”, and “Bon Voyage”, 1956; guest, Desilu Studios'-filmed, Make Room For Daddy, “A Trip to Wisconsin”, 1955; Desilu Productions', Cavalcade of America “Bed of Roses”, 1956; and Desilu Productions', The Texan; Desi Arnaz, Executive Producer,“The Troubled Town”, 1958, “The Marshal of Yellow Jacket”, 1959, and U.S. Marshal “Maryjo is Missing”, 1959; The Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse Presents The Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Show “The Ricardos Go To Japan”, 1959; is born this date in 1892.

Jack Carter, appears with Lucille Ball, Toast of the Town, 1961; guest, Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Joey Bishop Show “Jack Carter Helps Joey Propose”, 1964; Lucille's guest, The Lucy Show “Lucy Sues Mooney”, 1967; as well as appears with Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz), The Great Houdini, 1976, dated Paula Stewart, Lucille’s Wildcat co-star, and double-dated with Lucille and Gary Morton when they began dating, is born this date in 1923.

Stanley Farrar, supporting cast member (“I Love Lucy”) “Home Movies”, 1954, and “Staten Island Ferry”, 1956; Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Real McCoys, 2 episodes, 1958, 1959, The Andy Griffith Show, 4 episodes, 1961-65; guest, Desilu Productions', Angel “The Joint Bank Account”, 1961, The Untouchables “Doublecross”, and “Arsenal”, 1962; as well as the Lucille Ball Special, Mr. And Mrs., 1964, is born this date in 1910.

John Larch, guest, Desilu Productions', The Walter Winchell File, premiere episode, “Exclusive Story”, 1957, The Texan “Law of the Gun”, 1958; Desilu Studios'-filmed, Yancy Derringer “Two Tickets to Promontory”, 1959; Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse “The Hard Road”, 1959; Desilu Productions', The Untouchables “Hammerstock”, 1961 and “Elegy”, 1962; Slattery's People “Question: Is Democracy Too Expensive This Year?” 1965; as well as Mission: Impossible “The Martyr”, 1970, and “The Puppet”, 1972, is born this date in 1914.

Jan Murray, guest, Desilu Productions', Here's Hollywood, 1961, and You Don't Say, 1964; Lucille Ball guest, The Lucy Show “Lucy and the Soap Opera”, 1966; appears with Desi Arnaz, The Hollywood Squares, 1972, as well as appears with Lucille, Dean Martin's Celebrity Roast: Danny Thomas, 1976, is born this date in 1916.

Jan and Jack, M A Y B E but none of the others!!!!!

Jack Oakie, Lucille Ball's early film-career friend and co-star, Paramount's Murder At The Vanities, 1934; That Girl From Paris, 1937; and RKO Radio', Annabel Series, Annabel Takes A Tour, and The Affairs of Annabel, 1938; guest, Desilu Productions', Shower of Stars, “Burlesque”, and 'All-Star Line-Up”, 1955; as well as Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Real McCoys, 3 episodes, 1963; is born this date in 1903.

Jo Stafford, Lucille Ball co-star, DuBarry Was A Lady, uncredited role, 1943; guest Desilu Productions', Shower of Stars “Jack Benny Celebrates His 40th Birthday”, The Red Skelton Show “Friends of Red Skelton Variety Show”, and Shower of Stars “Episode 4.4”, 1958; as well as, Desi Arnaz IV, co-star/performer, The Mambo Kings, 1992, is born this date in 1917.

Ok Jack is a perfect example, someone she used to work with whose career had faded but it would have worked perfectly if she had had him as a guest on a Lucy show but i dun't thin she ever did.

Ok, you can stop now Joyce, i don't want you going to all that work and trouble and then you name Farley Lepinsky, Arnold Papandopoulous and Miriam Vernastsky whom only their mothers know for sure they were involved in show business but not the general public at large, LOL!

• 1 year later...

Ok Jack is a perfect example, someone she used to work with whose career had faded but it would have worked perfectly if she had had him as a guest on a Lucy show but i dun't thin she ever did.

I believe I read somewhere Lucy and Jack Oakie didn't get along making the Anabel movies, while he was very well liked in Hollywood it appears he was kind of miffed having to share starring billing with a starlet who had basically played nothing but small parts at that point. Too bad as they had many of the same friends.

This is actually a tough topic to "keep in the lines" in part because of determing who is a big name (that's basically easy though) to just who was being "helped", nearly everyone of these people was still working and had some name value. Bette Davis, for instance, was still a super famous movie star in the late 50s, still making movies when she was signed for the part that ultimately she couldn't do because of an accident but this was not a case of Lucy doing a favor for an veteran actress, if anything it was akin to Lucy later landing Elizabeth Taylor for Here's Lucy. And some of the characters who have been mentioned - Mary Wickes, Kathleen Freeman, Reta Shaw, etc. - were doing just fine getting work on tv during the era of their work with Lucy - for many of them their Lucy roles weren't even their better tv gigs of the period (with the notable exception of Mary of course).

JOYCE JAMESON, not quite a full decade after her recurring role as one of Andy Griffith's 'Fun Girls" appeared in a small role in the Elsa Lanchester prison episode of Here's and those 10 years must have been rough because I didn't recognize her....Wasn't Jody "Tinkerbell" Gilbert in this one as ..what else?...the prison matron?

And then there's the strange episode with MARILYN MAXWELL. I KNOW there's a story there. I'll bet in the original script, Kim's part in the Bullwinkle U musical was written for marilyn, who enters the employment office with big fanfare at the beginning but only comes on at the end of the show as a nurse wheeling Cuddles-Harry on. Marilyn died a couple years after that at age 50 (or so).

There was some press about the appearance of FRANK MCGUGH, lucy's "Miss Grant" co-star making a comeback of sorts in the last season of TLS.

We all know Lucy finally got Bill back on her second series because Viv was gone, what other celebs got jobs through her who were not doing that well in the business or semi retired or fallen on hard times that any of you experts know of? Like her old flame, the director she was engaged to before Desi or she was living with him, and she gave him a job directing Forever Darling.

Guess I lost interest in a thread obviously suggested only to 'slam' suggestions, and after reading back, I believe I won't let my post of today stand; or should I?; No, I don't think so; WELL, MAYBE;;;Okay; her it is:

I either had forgotten this thread; or missed it entirely; but, this is one subject which is covered, as completely as I've been able to do so thus far - nearly 9 years; and can be researched when my chronology is finally in print - hopefully, early next year; editing continues, with a few more days late in December to go; then, a quick run-through to make sure all t's are dotted and i's are crossed; and, off it goes; hopefully, with LaMarr's artwork on at least the front and back covers; and dedicated to my granddaughter, a great Lucille Ball fan, born on her birthday, 8/6/90! So, finding out older stars who worked with Lucille, Desilu, Desi, Desi IV and Lucie are mentioned ..... I've begged Michael Karol to foreword for me, as well.

I believe I read somewhere Lucy and Jack Oakie didn't get along making the Anabel movies, while he was very well liked in Hollywood it appears he was kind of miffed having to share starring billing with a starlet who had basically played nothing but small parts at that point. Too bad as they had many of the same friends.

Didn't he also live in the Valley like she did back then? I thought they bought their ranches from the same seller who was trying to help his cause by selling homes cheaper to big names in entertainment.

This is actually a tough topic to "keep in the lines" in part because of determing who is a big name (that's basically easy though) to just who was being "helped", nearly everyone of these people was still working and had some name value. Bette Davis, for instance, was still a super famous movie star in the late 50s, still making movies when she was signed for the part that ultimately she couldn't do because of an accident but this was not a case of Lucy doing a favor for an veteran actress, if anything it was akin to Lucy later landing Elizabeth Taylor for Here's Lucy. And some of the characters who have been mentioned - Mary Wickes, Kathleen Freeman, Reta Shaw, etc. - were doing just fine getting work on tv during the era of their work with Lucy - for many of them their Lucy roles weren't even their better tv gigs of the period (with the notable exception of Mary of course).

But lets not forget that I Love Lucy was the biggest HIT on television and was rerun all over the world so appearing on it had to have some cachet for these older people at the end of their careers.

I either had forgotten this thread; or missed it entirely; but, this is one subject which is covered, as completely as I've been able to do so thus far - nearly 9 years; and can be researched when my chronology is finally in print - hopefully, early next year; editing continues, with a few more days late in December to go; then, a quick run-through to make sure all t's are dotted and i's are crossed; and, off it goes; hopefully, with LaMarr's artwork on at least the front and back covers; and dedicated to my granddaughter, a great Lucille Ball fan, born on her birthday, 8/6/90! So, finding out older stars who worked with Lucille, Desilu, Desi, Desi IV and Lucie are mentioned ..... I've begged Michael Karol to foreword for me, as well.

Yes Michael has done some great little books on our lady of Beverly Hills, he would do a great intro. About your granddaughter, did she ever post here at the Lounge?

JOYCE JAMESON, not quite a full decade after her recurring role as one of Andy Griffith's 'Fun Girls" appeared in a small role in the Elsa Lanchester prison episode of Here's and those 10 years must have been rough because I didn't recognize her....Wasn't Jody "Tinkerbell" Gilbert in this one as ..what else?...the prison matron?

And then there's the strange episode with MARILYN MAXWELL. I KNOW there's a story there. I'll bet in the original script, Kim's part in the Bullwinkle U musical was written for marilyn, who enters the employment office with big fanfare at the beginning but only comes on at the end of the show as a nurse wheeling Cuddles-Harry on. Marilyn died a couple years after that at age 50 (or so).

There was some press about the appearance of FRANK MCGUGH, lucy's "Miss Grant" co-star making a comeback of sorts in the last season of TLS.

Thanks Neil... those 2 I could not for the life of me remember their names.. I just knew them as the gal who played Bob Hope's first wife in that crappy Critic's Choice and that guy who was good with figures in Miss Grant Takes Richmond!... Anyhow.. I was gonna ask how come Miss Maxwell's role is so "ABSENT" since she enters asking for help and then disappears.... HOPE we can find out why!

Maxwell was in the movie with in the movie in Forever Darling right?

Yes, and she was also in Du Barry Was A Lady (as Miss February in the "Esquire Girl" number) and Thousands Cheer.

I'd love to know how Marilyn Maxwell (born 1921) felt about playing a character who graduated from college in 1928.

Yes, and she was also in Du Barry Was A Lady (as Miss February in the "Esquire Girl" number) and Thousands Cheer.

I'd love to know how Marilyn Maxwell (born 1921) felt about playing a character who graduated from college in 1928.

WOW.. thanks for telling me more!! Miss February huh??? AND she was the actress that LUCY becomes when she is fantasizing about being in the movie with James Mason.. wow... okay that is great to know.. I love finding out new stuff!!! I can see her in Forever Darling but have to watch DuBarry to remember what Miss February looks like... Kinda random and off topic.. but does anyone know in the MGM movie Ziegfield Girl.. when the song A Pretty Girl is being sung.. is that blonde at the bottom of the rung Lana Turner?? Sure looks like her.. also seems like the same blonde in the hat shop in the beginning of Easter Parade.. and I keep thinking it is an unbilled Lana Turner... surely someone on this board can set me straight.. thanks

Had no idea Miss Maxwell had been in those pictures with Lucy, thanks for the info.

Archived