Great Robert Osborne Interview

VBagley, maybe you could contact him directly at/through TCM. He seems like a really nice guy -- maybe he would be willing to provide you with copies of his early reviews? He's such a big fan of Lucy, plus so many people helped him throughout his career that maybe he would do that.

And wouldn't it be cool if he did? B)

Best of luck with your book! You know we are all going to want to read it when it's done. :)

VBagley, I couldn't resist doing a little sleuthing on your behalf. Here is a link to Robert Osborne's official website. If you click on the contact button, it gives an address where you can write to him. (Snail mail, but it's a start!) Good luck! :)

http://www.robertosborne.com/

Robert Osborne is great about responding to mail, too. When I met him in Jamestown in 2006, he was completely charming and I was thrilled to have my picture taken with him. To surprise me for Christmas, my mom sent him the picture of us and told him how thrilled I was to meet him and that I was a huge fan of Lucille Ball, old movies, and himself. She asked if he would autograph the picture so she could surprise me with it for Christmas. He did so quickly and I received a lovely note and autograph that was one of the best Christmas gifts I've ever gotten.

My senior thesis in college was about Myrna Loy and the image of women - particularly wives - in Hollywood movies of the 1930s. I always wanted to contact Robert Osborne about it, even just to tell him what I was doing, but unfortunately I never did.

VBagley, I couldn't resist doing a little sleuthing on your behalf. Here is a link to Robert Osborne's official website. If you click on the contact button, it gives an address where you can write to him. (Snail mail, but it's a start!) Good luck! :)

http://www.robertosborne.com/

Thank you so much! I may indeed write to him, maybe he has copies of all his articles. Who knows? There have to be copies out there somewhere, and I may as well check with the source :)

• 1 year later...

I loved every minute of this special. Robert Osborne is one of the nicest, charming, and fascinating people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. The clips and tributes were all wonderful. It was great to see Carole and Tom included and I loved all commercials, early TV appearances, and home movies included.  I was so hoping they would include the clip of Lucy raving about Robert on Dinah and I was thrilled to see that they did. 

Yes it was a wonderful and entertaining interview. Robert seems happy and I hope he is. Alex Baldwin deserves a little credit too.

Re: the "Dinah" clip. Didn't Lucy look GREAT? Didn't the year say 1978?

Yes, that Dinah! show has from 1978 and Lucy did look great. Lucie and Carl Reiner were the other guests. Lucy and Robert were on Dinah! together in early 1980 as well alongside Dick Van Dyke, Fernando Lamas, and Dennis Christopher.

I thoroughly enjoyed this entertaining interview of Mr. Osborne but if I'm being honest, Mr. Baldwin would not have been my first choice for the job....As interesting a life as he's led and all the famous folk he's known and been friends with over the years, I really would have enjoyed at least a "peek" into his private (love) life; yes I KNOW it's "none of my business" but since I feel almost as if I know the man, I'd sincerely like to know about that part of his life, too.

He seems to be happy and content.  I certainly hope he truly is! :)

• 3 months later...

Robert speaks about Lucy at the TCM Film Festival:

Brock - Do you have the dates and locale of the TCM Film Festival?  Thanks, if you do.  This interview is nice; but, hard to hear; I really liked the re-play of the Baldwin interview the other night; channel-surfing and came onto it by accident.  Loved his many mentions of Lucille.  Loving you, JK

Finally got around to watching this. Nice back story for the audience on the RKO theater and then why Lucy wanted to do one too. Nice to hear that bit at the end about the Seesaw party. Bob seems to be the only one I've ever heard mention that he heard Desi call Lucy "mamma". He mentions it on a 90s Joan Rivers Show too.

Brock - Do you have the dates and locale of the TCM Film Festival?  Thanks, if you do.  This interview is nice; but, hard to hear; I really liked the re-play of the Baldwin interview the other night; channel-surfing and came onto it by accident.  Loved his many mentions of Lucille.  Loving you, JK

The 2014 TCM Classic Film Festival returns to Hollywood April 10 - April 13,featuring great movies introduced by the the people who made them classics:

About the Festival

Held over four days in the heart of Hollywood, the TCM Classic Film Festival is a place where movie lovers from around the world can gather to experience classic movies as they were meant to be experienced: on the big screen, in some of the world’s most iconic venues, with the people who made them. Moreover, the TCM Classic Film Festival strives to be a place where a community of movie fans of all ages can share their love of classic movies with each other, make new friends and see films as they are seldom seen today.

The central theme of the 2014 TCM Classic Film Festival is Family in the Movies: The Ties that Bind. In celebration of the network’s 20th birthday and the fifth anniversary of the TCM Classic Film Festival, TCM is summoning its family of movie lovers from around the globe to come to Hollywood for a cinematic celebration of the ties that bind us together. In keeping with this theme, the 2014 TCM Classic Film Festival is going to showcase on-screen clans of all types – big and small, happy and imperfect, musical and dramatic. The Festival will spotlight the first families of Hollywood and the filmmaking dynasties that have entertained generations. It will explore the kinship that connects close-knit groups of professionals behind the camera, such as the stock companies of classic Hollywood. From the bond between parents and children to sibling rivalries, TCM recognizes the power of family to touch us all.

Schedule:

http://filmfestival.tcm.com/programs/festival-schedule/

Latest News:

http://filmfestival.tcm.com/about/latest-news/

Programs:

http://filmfestival.tcm.com/programs/

• 11 months later...

Archived