Lucy Biography

wilderfan

I see that there are a number of biographies that have been written over the years.

I wonder which ones people would recommend? I'm not looking for something that is a "white-wash". Nor am I looking for something that dwells on the negative.

For something that is truly balanced - maybe even scholarly - can you suggest one or two books that stand out above all the other run-of-the-mill stuff?

Thanks !

For personal and professional biographies, I think there are two great starting points:

Personal: "Lucille" by Kathleen Brady

Professional: "Desilu" by Tom Gilbert and Coyne Steven Sanders

But, if you want to hear things with their own words, Desi's "A Book" is pretty damn fantastic, and certainly not a white wash. Lucy's "Love, Lucy" is also good, but isn't nearly as in-depth as Desi's.

For personal and professional biographies, I think there are two great starting points:

Personal: "Lucille" by Kathleen Brady

Professional: "Desilu" by Tom Gilbert and Coyne Steven Sanders

But, if you want to hear things with their own words, Desi's "A Book" is pretty damn fantastic, and certainly not a white wash. Lucy's "Love, Lucy" is also good, but isn't nearly as in-depth as Desi's.

Desi's book was very good and very REVEALING, should we say. Damn, he didn't leave anything out, did he? :marionstrong: I wonder if Lucy ever was embarassed by some of the things he wrote or if she just shrugged it off.

A Book and Love, Lucy are great because it is written in their words and shows their personality. I find Desilu to be the best for the post I Love Lucy years. It had great rare photographs. It is one of the Lucy things I donated to my library and it is still in their collection! I find it hard to get a great biography that equals cover the post I love Lucy years as the I Love Lucy and even earlier years.

I see that there are a number of biographies that have been written over the years.

I wonder which ones people would recommend? I'm not looking for something that is a "white-wash". Nor am I looking for something that dwells on the negative.

For something that is truly balanced - maybe even scholarly - can you suggest one or two books that stand out above all the other run-of-the-mill stuff?

Thanks !

Hope I'm not sounding too arrogant here; but, I think my up-coming chronology is very different from all things Lucy that have been written. It is a diary, of sorts - submit to me your birth month and day, only, and I'll give you an example of the 'work in progress for 7 years now - soon to go to publisher'.... If you prefer anonymously, my e-mail is babe4barney@yahoo.com, and I'll be glad to let you see what this thin' is about. Any other important dates you might wish to submit, I can send you, as well. It's a fun thin'....

Regards, JK

In addition to the books listed above, I would also recommend "Lucy & Desi: The Legendary Love Story of Televisions Most Famous Couple" (I think that's the exact title.) Here's a link to it:

http://www.amazon.com/Lucy-Desi-Legendary-Televisions-Famous/dp/0671747096/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1257653386&sr=1-10

I read it last year & didn't want to put it down. I learned some new details & it was well written. All six reviews on A mazon gave it 5 stars. (I stayed up way too late for several nights reading it -- a sure sign of a 5 star book for me :) )

Hope I'm not sounding too arrogant here; but, I think my up-coming chronology is very different from all things Lucy that have been written. It is a diary, of sorts - submit to me your birth month and day, only, and I'll give you an example of the 'work in progress for 7 years now - soon to go to publisher'.... If you prefer anonymously, my e-mail is babe4barney@yahoo.com, and I'll be glad to let you see what this thin' is about. Any other important dates you might wish to submit, I can send you, as well. It's a fun thin'....

Regards, JK

I was born today.

I was born today.

Well, Happy Birthday, Will; and thanks for asking:

Here is what Lucille and company were doing on YOUR DAY:

ENJOY!!!!1

May 20

John Emery, cast member, (“I Love Lucy”) “The Quiz Show”, 1951; appears in the Arnazes film, Forever Darling, as Dr. Edward R. Winter, 1956; as well as (“I Love Lucy”) “Little Ricky Gets a Dog”, 1957, guest, Desilu Productions', The Ann Sothern Show “The Woman Behind the Throne”, as Hodges, 1960, and “Always April”, as David Flemming, 1961; is born this date in 1905.

Jimmy Stewart, long-time friend and neighbor of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, appears with Desi, Screen Snapshots: Memories in Uniform, 1954; with Lucille, Dean Martin Celebrity Roast: Jimmy Stewart, roastee, and General Electric's All-Star Anniversary, 1978; appears with Lucie Arnaz, Night of 100 Stars, 1982; guest co-star, All-Star Party for Lucille Ball, 1984, archivally, with Lucille, That's Dancing, 1985; with Lucille, NBC’s Happy Birthday, Bob (Hope’s 85th birthday and his 50th Anniversary with NBC), 1988; with Lucille, via archival footage, Entertaining the Troops, 1994; with Desi and Lucille, via archival footage, Off the Menu: The Last Days of Chasen's, 1997, is born this date in 1908.

Jerry Hausner, veteran supporting cast member, 14 episodes, (“I Love Lucy”: The Very First Show) (pilot); (“I Love Lucy”), “Lucy Thinks Ricky is Trying to Murder Her”, 1951; “Lucy Does a TV Commercial”, “Lucy’s Show Biz Swan Song”, 1952; “Ricky has Labor Pains”, “The Club Election”, “No Children Allowed”, “Lucy Hires a Maid”, “The Indian Show”, “Lucy’s Last Birthday”, “The Camping Trip”, “Changing the Boys’ Wardrobe”, and “Ricky’s Old Girlfriend”, 1953; and “Fan Magazine”, 1954; guest, Desilu Productions', Our Miss Brooks “The Big Jump”, 1955; guest, Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Dick Van Dyke Show, 5 episodes, 1962-63; guest star, Desi Arnaz Productions', The Mothers-In-Law “The Kids Move Out”, 1968; as well as Lucille's guest, (“Here's Lucy”), “Lucy Gives Eddie Albert the Old Song and Dance”, 1973; is born this date in 1909.

George Gobel, guest, Desilu Studios'-filmed, My Three Sons, with William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), 1960; Vivian Vance (Lucy’s Ethel Mertz) co-star, Love-American Style segment, 1969, and star, short-lived TV series, Sam, 1978, is born this date in 1919.

William Frawley (Lucy’s Fred Mertz) in 20th Century on Broadway opened amidst high critical acclaim in December of 1932 - due to “labor disagreements, among others,” the show closed for several days in March 1933 - reopening on 3/25/33 - closed after 152 performances - severely affected by the Depression, this date in 1933.

Cher, of Sonny and Cher fame, daughter of Georgia Holt, (“I Love Lucy”); paid tribute to within The Lucy Show, “The Carters Meet Frankie Avalon”, Kim (Lucie Arnaz), is Cher, for amateur contest - Frankie Avalon, is Sonny, 1973; appears with Lucille Ball, Cher and Other Fantasies, a special, with Elliot Gould, Andy Kaufman, and others, 1979; appears with Lucie, The 36th Annual Tony Awards and Night of 100 Stars, 1982; with Lucille, via archival footage, The Carol Burnett Show: A Reunion, 1993; as well as appears with Lucille, via archival footage, I Love Lucy's 50th Anniversary Special, documentary, 2001, is born this date in 1946.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY: Lucille Ball to Visit City – Will Be Little Theater Boatride Guest . . . “Backstage Club of Little Theater expected to soar . . . L. Pauline Lopus, long-time Lucille Ball friend and Celoron Chairman of the Club has been officially informed of Lucille’s visit on June 13, arriving at the Jamestown Airport . . .” published this date in 1946.

Hollywood Citizen News, Lloyd L. Sloan: “If all farmers’ daughters were as beautiful as Lucille Ball, we’d be willing to bet there would never be any large cities. We found this out by visiting Lucille at her Chatsworth farm home; she has oranges and lots of other things – found her looking after the oranges which survived a winter by use of ‘smudge pots’ (we couldn’t go on); back to discussion of movies, etc. ‘Busy?’ she replied to one of the questions: ‘I don’t know. I just do three or four movies a year; a weekly radio program, oversee the house and grounds, and 10 or 12 weeks of summer stock’, so we learned one of those astounding facts columnists occasionally come up with – Lucille Ball is very beautiful; leads a very busy life; is very smart; and very few beautiful girls can make that statement,” published this date in 1949.

Lucille Ball and co-star, Richard Denning, appear on CBS' Radio, 30-minute, Situation Comedy, My Favorite Husband “Getting Old,” episode #45, produced and directed by Jess Oppenheimer; written by Jess Oppenheimer, Madelyn Pugh & Bob Carroll, Jr., featuring Ruth Perrott, as Katy the Maid, Gale Gordon and Bea Benaderet, as Mr. and Mrs. Atterbury; original music by Marlin Skiles; conducted by Wilbur Hatch; announcer, Bob LeMond, sponsored by General Foods, JELL-O; with veteran supporting cast member, Gerald Mohr, airing this date in 1949.

Fred Sherman, b. 5/14; co-star, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), 1942; supporting cast member, (“I Love Lucy”), 1954; guest, Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp, 1955; guest, Desilu Productions', Cavalcade of America, 1956, The Lineup, 1956, 1957, and The Californians, 1957; guest, Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Adventures of Jim Bowie, 1957, The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp, 2 episodes,1958; appears with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, Sunday Showcase “The Milton Berle Special”, 1959; guest, Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Dick Van Dyke Show, 1961; as well as co-star, Frawley, My Three Sons, 1961. dies this date in 1969.

Gilda Radner, b. 6/28; appears with Desi Arnaz, The Hollywood Squares, 1972; Lucille Ball mimic and star, Saturday Night Live, 1976, dies this date in 1989.

(“I Love Lucy”) is honored - CBS: The First 50 Years - movie connections featuring (“I Love Lucy”) on this date in 1998.

Ernest Sarracino, b.2/12; guest, Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Adventures of Jim Bowie, 1957; Desilu Productions', The Ann Sothern Show, 1958, The Untouchables, 1959, New Comedy Showcase, 1960; Desilu Studios'-filmed, Hogan's Heroes, 1966; as well as Lucille Ball guest co-star, (“Here's Lucy”), 1974, dies this date in 1998.

Lucille Ball and Gary Morton, just prior to her death had agreed; and arrangements had been made; invitiations had gone out, were due in Jamestown, to be honored at a reception at the Chautauqua Public Inn, the former “Starlight Inn”, after arriving at Chautauqua County Airport to attend the first Lucyfest in her hometown, and to receive an Honorary Doctor of Fine Arts Degree from Jamestown Community College of the State University of New York, which Lucie Arnaz, accepted on her mother’s behalf, this date in 1989.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY reports: “Foundation Awards ‘Ticket to Jamestown’ With Funding”: “The Chautauqua Region Community Foundation has recently awarded the ‘Ticket to Jamestown’ Project [a collaborative project between several local agencies] with funding for the initial printing costs of tickets and posters, published this date in 2005.

The Plain Dealer - by Sarah Crump, Jamestown Welcomes Lucille Ball Fans – “Jamestown, NY, welcomes all who love Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz. Are you an adoring fan of (“I Love Lucy”) 57 years after the show's premiere? You can't pay better homage to Lucille Ball than to journey to her hometown, Jamestown, N.Y., Friday through Sunday, May 25, for an annual festival in her honor,” published this date in 2008.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY – Region – Lucy Fest 2012 Performer Receives National Award - Bill Chott, who will be teaching and performing at Lucy Fest 2012, was recently awarded a 2012 INNY Award for 'best improv coach;' for his work at The Improv Trick, his improv theater academy in both St. Louis and LA. Chott also recently received an award for 'Best Featured Actor in a Musical' for his work as Fred Mert in ('I Love Lucy') Live on Stage,” published this date in 2012.

Archived