New interview with Larry

Brock

There is a new interview with Larry on StarTrek.com where he discusses Lucy and the program:

How aware of Star Trek were you over the years? Also, your wife, Lucie Arnaz, is the daughter of Lucille Ball, without whom there probably would never, ever have been any Star Trek at all. How aware of your wife’s connection to the franchise had you been?

Luckinbill: Nothing. I knew nothing. My wife married me because I’d never seen an I Love Lucy show. I was not an avid television watcher. Star Trek, I’d never seen that, either. I wasn’t a Trekkie. I didn’t know anything about it. I knew that there were plenty of people out there who were, and you couldn’t avoid that. I knew there’d been a few movies and that The Final Frontier was going to be the fifth one, but I’d not seen any of them. I knew Ricardo (Montalban) was in one, in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, because he was a friend of mine. So, when this happened it was pretty much out of the blue and it was based on my work. That’s pretty much the best way to get a role, because you’re filled with confidence. You know that they know who you are from your work and that’s what they want.

And you and Lucille Ball never discussed the fact that you were going to be in a Star Trek movie?

Luckinbill: No. She said… zero. She did not talk about the past. She did not discuss her business, when she was the head of the studio. This was not necessarily just with me. She was done with that, so she didn’t want to talk about that stuff. It was not refusal; it was just not interested.

FULL INTERVIEW: http://www.startrek.com/article/laurence-luckinbill-talks-trek-v-sybok-career-part-1

• 7 months later...

Well I'VE never seen an episode of "the Delphi Bureau". So THERE!

I did not realize Larry will be 79 this year!

Yes, i think Lucie once found him being a little too friendly with one of Lucy's friends, i think it was Betty White. Of course, he had no idea who she was, he never watched television.

Yes, i think Lucie once found him being a little too friendly with one of Lucy's friends, i think it was Betty White.

Of course, he had no idea who she was, he never watched television.

That remark was more delicious than Aunt Martha's Old Fashioned Salad Dressing! :lucythrill: :lucythrill: :lucythrill:

And yet for one so devoted to the theu-tah he does a damn good Carolyn Appleby!

Claude there is a great documentary on the making of the Boys in the Band. Larry is interviewed for it and he talks about being one of the few straight actors in the show. Good doc.

Yeah, i got the dvd, but i think BEFORE that documentary so i haven't seen it, but i've seen clips though and seen Larry, he was quite the dish back then.

The doc is not a special feature on the movie disk. It's a full length stand on it's own movie.

Yes, i know, but i assumed when they came out with that special Anniversary edition, that they would have had some kind of doc on that too and i thought it was in THAT one that i would see him.

I find it VERY hard to believe that ANYONE in show business claims to have "never seen an I Love Lucy episode".

Larry, Gary Morton and the fictional Jerry Seinfeld.

Gary claims (and Lucy backs him up) he was "always working Monday night"......WHERE???

If he never saw an episode, he probably could not afford a TV set in the 50s.

I wish someone would delve into the pre-marriage world of Gary Morton. I know little about him. There's probably more to this marriage annullment story.

Perhaps at the ceremony, he removed his yarmulke and his entire toupe came off and this was the first time she knew.

I find it VERY hard to believe that ANYONE in show business claims to have "never seen an I Love Lucy episode".

Larry, Gary Morton and the fictional Jerry Seinfeld.

Gary claims (and Lucy backs him up) he was "always working Monday night"......WHERE???

If he never saw an episode, he probably could not afford a TV set in the 50s.

I wish someone would delve into the pre-marriage world of Gary Morton. I know little about him. There's probably more to this marriage annullment story.

Perhaps at the ceremony, he removed his yarmulke and his entire toupe came off and this was the first time she knew.

Yes, even joe public has seen an I Love Lucy clip on any special that showcased it, a commercial for it, i agree with you. The show was number one for so many years and everybody watched it or talked about it everywhere. As for Gary, the most surprising thing to me was always the fact that he was married to the sister of the woman who slept with Kennedy and Sam Giancanna, the Chicago mob boss. Judith Exner, who later died of cancer i believe, probably like John Mitchell's wife, the Watergate whistleblower, a CIA induced cancer.

Yes, even joe public has seen an I Love Lucy clip on any special that showcased it, a commercial for it, i agree with you. The show was number one for so many years and everybody watched it or talked about it everywhere. As for Gary, the most surprising thing to me was always the fact that he was married to the sister of the woman who slept with Kennedy and Sam Giancanna, the Chicago mob boss. Judith Exner, who later died of cancer i believe, probably like John Mitchell's wife, the Watergate whistleblower, a CIA induced cancer.

Yes, I thought it was so astonishing when I read that Gary had first been married to Jacqueline Campbell, Judith Exner's sister, because I'm also a Kennedy buff and then this being so close to Lucy blew my mind. Freaked me out a tad lol. Judy died of breast cancer in 1999. Wouldn't be surprised if it was CIA-induced like Jack Ruby. Don't get me started on conspiracy theories. :lucyhmm:

I also don't believe Larry had never seen an I Love Lucy. I don't know if I like Larry too much. Something about what he said in the Home Movies documentary to Lucie and Desi, asking them if Big Desi and Lucy were bad parents and such. it's like WTF? :lucydaze: He was probably still mad that Lucy thought he wasn't a good match for Little Lucie.

. I don't know if I like Larry too much. Something about what he said in the Home Movies documentary to Lucie and Desi, asking them if Big Desi and Lucy were bad parents and such. it's like WTF? :lucydaze: He was probably still mad that Lucy thought he wasn't a good match for Little Lucie.

No, he was playing to his audience, like Carole was. You know if you say something they like and believe, you'll be featured more in the documentary.

Something about what he said in the Home Movies documentary to Lucie and Desi, asking them if Big Desi and Lucy were bad parents and such. it's like WTF? :lucydaze:

I don't remember this at all. Was it on the main feature, the outtakes, or the interview?

• 1 month later...

Yes, I thought it was so astonishing when I read that Gary had first been married to Jacqueline Campbell, Judith Exner's sister, because I'm also a Kennedy buff and then this being so close to Lucy blew my mind. Freaked me out a tad lol. Judy died of breast cancer in 1999. Wouldn't be surprised if it was CIA-induced like Jack Ruby. Don't get me started on conspiracy theories.

I also don't believe Larry had never seen an I Love Lucy. I don't know if I like Larry too much. Something about what he said in the Home Movies documentary to Lucie and Desi, asking them if Big Desi and Lucy were bad parents and such. it's like WTF? He was probably still mad that Lucy thought he wasn't a good match for Little Lucie.

Maybe, as most 'doting' moms, Lucille was concerned about the 11 years' difference in age; plus the fact that Lucie already had a bad-experience marriage. Whatever her concerns, it seems to have worked beautifully.

Maybe, as most 'doting' moms, Lucille was concerned about the 11 years' difference in age; plus the fact that Lucie already had a bad-experience marriage. Whatever her concerns, it seems to have worked beautifully.

There's more than 11 years. Larry is 17 years older than Lucie. ;)

There's more than 11 years. Larry is 17 years older than Lucie. ;)

Taylor: THANKS SO MUCH; helping with my editing process; I had his date of birth as 1940 on my birth and death chart.....I appreciate it. Worse, I had the same date in the body of the chronology. I DOUBLY appreciate it....

Archived