You made a u-turn in this plot hole?

Here's one:

The Fashion Show -- Where are the other wives? Don gives Sheila quite an extensive list. He even goes as far as to tell Lucy "Loper's Basic Dress" (Which can be accessorized beautifully!) was actually being worn by Mrs. Alan Ladd. Pity we don't get to actually see her strut her stuff down the runway. Sue Carol couldn't have been THAT expensive, surely.

Why did Fred and Ethel have a dog named Butch in an early episode, then threw a hissy fit when Little Ricky wanted a dog a few years later? I thought there was a no-dog policy in that building. And what the hell did they do with poor Butch? :lucydisgust:

Lucy Gets Homesick in Italy--

It bothers me that Lucy, and Ricky get winded going up and down a flight of stairs. I thought that Lucy and Ricky were used to going up and down three to four flights of stairs in the New York apartment. Maybe they were tired from climbing up the Alps in Switzerland.

Hey I get winded walking down a flight of stairs!! Wait till your "of a certain age"! ;)

But seriously... that's so "obvious" yet never occured to me before! How astute! :professor:

1. Doesn't Kathy Williams have the wifely ability to sign checks?

Why does she have to make out the check but only Danny can sign?

Though it does make for one of the best Lucy scheme-justifications ever: "The check is made out to us so it's really our check and it's not signed it's not worth anything, so how can you say taking something that belongs to you already and isn't worth anything anyway is STEALING?"

2. If Kim has invited Lucy over for the weekend, why does she also schedule a date for the same night? An inclusion of some sort of exchange would have solved this: "Oh, Mother I completely forgot I have a date Saturday night" "Well, don't cancel dear. The three of us will have a great time."

Why did Fred and Ethel have a dog named Butch in an early episode, then threw a hissy fit when Little Ricky wanted a dog a few years later? I thought there was a no-dog policy in that building. And what the hell did they do with poor Butch? :lucydisgust:

I think the Mertzes had a double standard when it came to themselves and others that they favored. A good example is in "Breaking The Lease" with the Mertzes and the Ricardos partying to the wee hours of the morning till 4:00A.M., even Lucy thought they were making too much noise for that hour but Fred and Ethel didn't seem to mind while they were having so much fun. We know what happens to the Mertzes when they leave the party...." Also notice Ethel throwing Mrs. Trumbull underneath the bus over Little Ricky crying. It wasn't fair to tell other tenants that they couldn't have children if someone else in the building had one and in WRITING.

These aren't really potholes but in the episodes leading up to the Ricardo's moving to the country there is some flubs in the years. Like Lucy and Ethel reminiscing about the things that happened in that apartment and they talk about Lucy wallpapering Ethel in the closet when that was actually in the other apartment, it's like they forgot they lived in the other apartment for 12-13 years. When they were only in the second one for about 4 years Plus the whole 99 year lease was made in the first season but they kept saying they signed it 2 or 3 years prior when it was about 5-6 years before. This always tended to bother me, no idea why. :lucyshock:

ALSO! The whole Carmichael kids in The Lucy Show. I wish they would've been able to write them in the last 3 seasons as guest stars for a few episodes or something. Or even have them mentioned, besides the whole letter she gets from Jerry signed Jimmy.. :lucydisgust:

2. If Kim has invited Lucy over for the weekend, why does she also schedule a date for the same night? An inclusion of some sort of exchange would have solved this: "Oh, Mother I completely forgot I have a date Saturday night" "Well, don't cancel dear. The three of us will have a great time."

I always figured that Kim invited Lucy in such a hurray after Harry called her that she had forgotten about the date. However, Kim only lives a few miles away, why does Lucy have to kill time at Dirty Jack's Paradise? Why doesn't she just go home or go out with Mary Jane? Perhaps Mary Jane was busy after all the bees were buzzing around her after her charm school course.

I never thought about the four flights of stairs! That is a fantastic observation.

Here's one:

The Fashion Show -- Where are the other wives? Don gives Sheila quite an extensive list. He even goes as far as to tell Lucy "Loper's Basic Dress" (Which can be accessorized beautifully!) was actually being worn by Mrs. Alan Ladd. Pity we don't get to actually see her strut her stuff down the runway. Sue Carol couldn't have been THAT expensive, surely.

... But remember.. Sheila forgot that "Francis can't make it".. that is why we don't see her strut on the stage...

YOU know what kinda gets me?? It's when Fred shuts off the gas and electricity (I know you're mean and sneaky.. hahahahaa.. He IS that mean and sneaky).. so the ligths aren't working and the chicken isn't working.. then.. the Ricardos clean up.. Lucy at the sink, Ricky in the shower.. HOW the HELLYELLBINGO do they have hot water to wash with?? Was their hot water tank the size of a ship??? Did they have solar hot water??? It kinda stops working for me at that moment..

Here's one:

I think you have to assume that Lucy wasn't the last one to model clothes, it just faded out after her. The other wives she mentioned must've been going on after Lucy.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, Ethel's piano playing amnesia. She could play just fine when the two couples sang around the piano until 2AM in the Ricardo apartment. But when she attemped to play with the all girl band in her own apartment she was as bad as all the other women.

Fast forward to Connecticut: when Lucy tried to form another band with Ethel,Fred & Little Ricky, Ethel claimed she only knew "She'll be Comin' 'Round the Mountain".

:lucy1: "Oh, Ethel, don't you know 'Sweet Sue'?"

:viv1: "I can try, but don't be surprised if it sounds like Sweet Sue is Comin' 'Round the Mountain!"

So how is it that when Ernie Kovacs & his wife visit, suddenly Marco Ethel plays the most beautiful, intricate & flawless accompaniment to Edie's singing?

'Splain that. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name=DroopyDrawers :D' timestamp='1343281888' post='40742]

Another thing! Kim moves out at the end of season 4 in HL but yet in the next season she is once again living with Lucy. Besides the Harrison Carter, Male Nurse episode.

Not to mention how certain sets, like the interior of Harry's house and the exterior of Lucy's house, changed in practically every episode they were featured in.

[quote name=DroopyDrawers :D' timestamp='1343281888' post='40742]

Another thing! Kim moves out at the end of season 4 in HL but yet in the next season she is once again living with Lucy. Besides the Harrison Carter, Male Nurse episode.

The writers seemed to have totally forgotten Kim moved out. I always figured Kim might have moved in temporarily to help Lucy after her broken leg, but she's there the entire season. She is officially moved in all of season six.

Not episode specific, but it's always bugged me in the first season intro for "The Lucy Show" how both cartoon Viv and Lucy run offscreen after the letter falls. Lucy comes back with a ladder, but Viv just walks back on with nothing. Why'd she run off then? She looked like she had a purpose, but then came back with nothing, LOL!

In "Lucy the Matchmaker," why does Lucy ask Vivian how old she is? Lucy met Viv in kindergarden (it's even mentioned later in the episode). Lucy would surely know Vivian's age - they would be the same age too. In kindergarden, was little Vivian Jones telling people she was only four when she was six if she's a day?

Archived